I don't know what a bud is part two....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At one point, probably half way thru my growing phase, I did a ‘back of the napkin’ calculation of what it cost me to grow and it was like $50/ounce. It took time obviously to recoup the initial startup cost but I found I enjoyed ‘the hobby’ of it. I have learned a lot(and have lots more to learn) but all in all, growing my own has been worth every penny I spent. I grew initially so my high school aged sons wouldn’t have to buy from some penis head(and be tempted into harder stuff-which may not have achieved the goal initially but they are both good young men now). Now I have more weed than I can smoke maybe for the rest of my life(even though I have essentially stopped growing-side grow aside). Store your stuff well and it gets different, mellower. I am smoking some 2015 bud at this point. One bong hit and I am all set for the evening.

Nice, I have kids too, not sure if I can share with them someday but I like your approach. Growing up, I had aunts and uncles that grew in Maine and Vermont and they would hand me buds. They were good people.

So, I have $100 bucks invested in a light, some soil for $25 and around $50 worth of nutrients. My power draw is 97 watts, less than one light bulb. ( I turn off a few lights to come out ahead here.)

So, I got around 1.5 ounces last grow, am hoping for 2.5 ounces this grow= 4 Zips.

Cost of Weed in Washington DC (most expensive weed in the country) is 300 an ounce minimum for "top shelf". (I've paid 400 a zip, it was good but not THAT good)

4 Zips x $300 DC prices= $1200 (you also have to tip and pay delivery charges for delivery)

$175 Investment, 1200- 175 = savings $1025

AND I have everything I need for next grow, the only cost will be the electricity draw of ONE light bulb ! Weed is almost free!

Glad you got a chuckle out of that. Am I the only one that gets too high? I sometimes wonder if I even like getting high when I over do it.

I know the first 20 minutes are intense and tell myself things like "Your High, take a deep breath". " Your not having a heart attack, you thought that last time and lived" etc....
Chuckle he.ll... you owe me a Tshirt 😂😂

I made some cookies with cannabutter about two weeks into the job I have now. I tried one that nite, but wasn't impressed. I wish I'd have stayed up later that nite...

Next morning I ate two before I went to work. BIG mistake 😂😂

I was so fking high that I felt like something was seriously wrong with me. I could literally hear my heart beating. The. The paranoia set in, and I started really freaking out and had to make myself breathe. I was convinced someone was going to know which made the sound of my heart beating sound like drums in my head.

I knew they knew which only made it worse. I could smell it when I was making myself breathing and tried to breath less so they wouldn't smell it too 😂

It felt like DAYS before I started getting back under control.

Best buzz I ever had under the absolute WORST of circumstances.

Chuckle he.ll... you owe me a Tshirt 😂😂

I made some cookies with cannabutter about two weeks into the job I have now. I tried one that nite, but wasn't impressed. I wish I'd have stayed up later that nite...

Next morning I ate two before I went to work. BIG mistake 😂😂

I was so fking high that I felt like something was seriously wrong with me. I could literally hear my heart beating. The. The paranoia set in, and I started really freaking out and had to make myself breathe. I was convinced someone was going to know which made the sound of my heart beating sound like drums in my head.

I knew they knew which only made it worse. I could smell it when I was making myself breathing and tried to breath less so they wouldn't smell it too 😂

It felt like DAYS before I started getting back under control.

Best buzz I ever had under the absolute WORST of circumstances.

Lol, great story. Why before work?--that's some classic stoner sh__ man ! I have a feeling I'll be making edibles soon, I have a huge pile of trimmings piling up from my first two grows and will try to make butter. These "trimmings" are covered in trics and I have a paper bag full easily an ounce.

I like the idea of eating and just waiting for an effect, smoking is a giant hassle for me. Oddly, I've never tried an edible that got me high but lets see if I can screw up and get way too high off a brownie.

For me, the weed test is this. If it get's me too high--so high that I'm seeing geometric Ferris wheel visuals, its good weed. if it scares the piss out of me, I know its good. Northern Lights can get me too high easily, I'm happy.

I got some Lemon Kush from a dispensary here in DC and 8 bong hits later nothing at all. It looked great, smelled great, but no high at all. To this day I won't touch any strains with the "lemon" in the name. Maybe it was a CBD strain, who knows.

That buzz lasted 6 hours. I smoke every day (except for the past 5 weeks). I love edibles. There's nothing like the taste of smoking some good azz ganja, but the buzz from eating it is stellar.

That buzz lasted 6 hours. I smoke every day (except for the past 5 weeks). I love edibles. There's nothing like the taste of smoking some good azz ganja, but the buzz from eating it is stellar.

Try smoking in a city where there are no woods or places to hide. For me, smoking is a pain. I have to hurry and keep the odor hidden, so I tip toe and blow my smoke out of a bathroom vent along with multiple incense sticks. If I want to smoke a joint, I have to hike into a little clearing by a golf course. Smoking always makes me nervous (not a good way to start a high) because I am hiding it. I've used spoofy's (they work) but they ruin any weed taste you might enjoy while exhaling. They also suck to use.

6 hours sounds good to me!!! Now I'm off to research how to decarb weed without smell and how to make butter. Odor and weed is my biggest problem !

I don’t decarb. I cook my brownies at 325 deg for about 50 minutes. It seems to decarb fine. Or it could be I ‘slow cooker’ my coconut oil and trimmings for about 24 hours. But edibles are great. 6 hours of a mellow, happy, easy buzz. The downside is slow cooking for 24 hours is stinky. For way longer than 24 hours…

Well, my last grow went well, but my trimming skills aren't great. It's hard to trim when you don't know what to cut.

Ohh well, maybe a different strain will help me understand. I just planted a Durban Poison seed, we'll see if I can figure it out then. Northern Lights is confusing the hell out of me. I had a 1.7 ounce cola that trimmed down to popcorn buds. (much less than an 1/8th dry.)

Last edited:
Dont expect to decarb without smell unless you find a way to do it Moonshiners style.

So, you should have seen the massive pile of trim I decarbed in a mason jar. I then used a crock pot for 4 hours with butter and a little water.

I've never tried edibles, I'm not so sure I like them. They really crank up your tolerance! I ate all my butter in a week and stayed high permanantly for days. It's not the same high though, you know? It was really strong, but not as pleasant as smoking. (reminds me of the high you get vaping, its different).

So, you should have seen the massive pile of trim I decarbed in a mason jar. I then used a crock pot for 4 hours with butter and a little water.

I've never tried edibles, I'm not so sure I like them. They really crank up your tolerance! I ate all my butter in a week and stayed high permanantly for days. It's not the same high though, you know? It was really strong, but not as pleasant as smoking. (reminds me of the high you get vaping, its different).
so how is your dry/cure coming along?

I love the high from edibles. I've known a few like you who don't. It's all about personal preference.

Why are you eating so much if it wasn’t pleasant? I cut my brownies into 1” cubes which makes each cube about 1 gram of butter. I eat one and that gives me a mellow, easy feeling for about 6 hours. It also helps with inflammation and pain for the same period of time. Depending on how strong your butter is, you may need more or less but too much of anything can get unpleasant…

Why are you eating so much if it wasn’t pleasant? I cut my brownies into 1” cubes which makes each cube about 1 gram of butter. I eat one and that gives me a mellow, easy feeling for about 6 hours. It also helps with inflammation and pain for the same period of time. Depending on how strong your butter is, you may need more or less but too much of anything can get unpleasant…

I don't like the high from edibles as much as smoking, but I still enjoy it. For me, I find getting high once every other day gives me the best high, usually late at night before bed. If I try to maintain my high, let's say I smoke 10 times in one day, I find the quality of the buzz goes down the more you smoke. Eating reminds me of getting high all day. It's not the same high quality high you get from your first smoke of the day. Not sure this makes sense, but this is how it works for me.

The other reason I ate all my butter in a week is that after I made a large jar of it, I had nowhere to hide it! It stunk up my refrigerator and it happened that my family was away for a week. So basically, after I made my butter I had a few days to get rid of it. I had two choices, eat it all or throw it away. I must have slept 18 hours a day for a whole week. Not a good high

Last edited:
I love the high from edibles. I've known a few like you who don't. It's all about personal preference.

Yep, I guess everyone is different (especially me). I also have an Arizer Solo dry herb vape that I use from time to time. I don't like a vape high nearly as much as smoking either, I really wish I did.

OK all, I posted a while back that I don't understand what a bud is. It was hard to explain why I was confused last grow but I have a new grow and am scratching my head again. This time around I have pictures to help explain my confusion.

The top of a cola is obvious to me, I've circled what I consider to be the "flower" on top in blue. What about the big gangle of leaves that bunches up on the bottom (circled in red), are there flowers hidden by leaves? Do I trim all of these off (for tea etc) or let them dry into one huge bud? I let them dry into one huge bud last grow and it's very possible I'm smoking leaves. (dam good leaves that is, they get me very high)

And another silly newbie question, if the lower leaves are not flower and are trimmed, is this what lollipopping does? Is lollipopping a technique used to remove lower leaves so that the flowers get more resources? If so, I'll grow this exact strain again and learn myself how to lollipop.

View attachment 291979
For not knowing what a bud is you sure grew them good. Beautiful! Great job!

Latest posts

Back