I got a promotion!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cadlakmike1

Reaction score
First I'd like to tell you a little background story. One year ago I could tell you; I own my own business, I love my job and the people I work with, I look forward to going to work every day, I'm more than financially stable. All that changed with the end of new home construction. With the downfall of our economy my residential construction business basically went under. I more than qualified for unemployment but was physically able to work so I decided to find another job instead of collecting. When my RA gets bad I won't be able to work, but that day isn't here yet and as long as I'm able to I want to work and avoid disability, I'm young and would go crazy sitting at home all day

I applied everywhere. Apparently getting a job with little to no educations is tough. Work experience really doesn't help as much as I had hoped. But eventually I found a job that payed enough to get me by working in a warehouse, we are part of a union so the hourly rate wasn't horrible, but the work load was. I decided it's better than nothing and stuck with it, after a few months I was ranked in the top ten percent in the company based on productivity!!! I felt good, I was working hard and honestly earning my living. As I'm sure a lot of you know, being the new guy in a union you get payed the least to do the most work, that's just the way it is, eventually you'll have seniority and it will get easier, unfortunately the economy caught up to me in this job as well, the company laid off 14 employees.

Since then I've picked up 2 jobs, it's just what I needed to do to get by. It hasn't been easy but I still wanted to put off collecting for a last resort, when all my other cards had been played. I applied to a lot of other jobs, and I applied for every available company job at the warehouse that laid me off. One of the jobs I applied for at the warehouse had 75 applicants. 40 were interviewed, 2 were called back for a second interview one week ago, and today they offered me the job! I couldn't be happier, it's a great job with great hours. The pays not spectacular but the jobs not backbreaking either, it's a huge change for me. I'm really excited and have been doing some celebrating today. I really enjoy the time I spend here and the friends I have made on this site and wanted to share this with all of you.

For those of you in tough situations also, keep your head up. I was on the verge of losing my house, I've had to really adjust my way of life, but I tried to keep a positive outlook and just keep working hard. Sometimes rewards to come to those who just keep their head down, mouth shut, and do their job.

I'd thank you again if I could.. Glad to hear that bro, the hard times are among us... I know the economy has taken it's toll on my career in the recent past, but, it's always a good feeling when things are 'lookin' up'..Your post inspires hope. Which we all need. congrats my friend! -TN "keep on keepin' on"

Glad to hear it Cad. Is indeed tough out there at the moment. As the other 74 that applied would tell ya. Happy to hear you didnt lose anything.
I know far to many that have, and its pretty heartbreaking in some cases.
Like my kids fiances brother had lost his job due to the economic blow. He couldnt find any work that would keep him from losing everything, and I wasnt told until it was almost to late. He was about a month away from losing his new truck and apartment and has a kid to take care of. I ended up finding him a great job with the guy I play golf with all the time.

Sometimes you get lucky. Sometimes you get crushed. As you seem to know all too well now. Glad it all worked out in the end for you. Ill tilt one up in honor of ya right now. Cheers.

Good on ya fella, a little glimmer of hope for the rest of us in the same position.
I lost A LOT of money last year from companies going bust on me and not paying me for my work, totally crushed me so know how you feel.

All the best to you and yours

Congrats Mike!:D Just goes to show that the 'stoner' stereotype has been discredited yet again! Hard work and determination are qualities to be proud of.

I also recieved a promotion a little over a week ago. Had it not been for this job recognition I would be at Effen's house right now gettin' down on some of NorCalHal's best dank.:confused2:

Ya win some, you lose some. But in all fairness, considering the times, I am glad to have what I have;)

Great post!

I admire you Cad, u could have took the easy way out but you fought it grats man, i too have had a few opps to rake in the easy unenployment $$ but always thought like u do i can work im young let some one who really needs that $$ apply for it, i would hate to think that i bumped some one who was hurting really bad out of needed $$ for rent , heat and food and u are also right , if we hang in there and dont give up it will always get better

Congrats, it just goes to show the only way to get anywhere is to keep pushing on in the face of adversity. You deserve success.

Way to go man, Glad to see someone making life better and easier for themselfs. Nobody wants to hire a stoner, but when they see how hard me work, most of us anyway, we are the last to be let go, f the foreman has any say in the lay-off procidure

I will try to type the right name from now on cadlakmike1 :peace: and good health your way

Congrats Mike it sure is tough just finding a job that pays enough to make ends meet in this economy. I feel ya on the working 2 jobs I did it for over 4 yrs working 16 to 18 hours a day 6 days a week just to make ends meet. And they say stoners are LAZY I would love to see some of those nay sayers walk a week in my shoes. They would call me Super Man if they could keep up...lol...take care..

hey mike- congrats on the promotion! i'm real happy for you. it's a tough world out there right now. a job 5 months ago might have had 5 people apply and now 30+ people are applying! i'm currently looking for a job and hope i find one soon. congrats again mike- sounds like you deserved it

good job cadalak i got laid of from my job just before chrissy in the mining industry...fortunatly enough i had an opportunity to buy my home but sadly declined (last year) due to a few inside stories and fortune teller words of wisdom..led me to consider the (what ifs ) and know i see they were right ! i have been applying for various warehouse positions the most recent was 2 days ago only to hear that their are 517 applicants for the same position and i have been short listed into the interview catagory ..yeehaa i have 1 chance in 35 and am attending an interview on tuesday..its my 7th interview since chrissy LOL ! although its been tuff (relationship,living standards,happiness wise ) it all comes down to positivity (got heaps of that) yet i also know at the end of the day, its nite. and there's a lite down the tunnel , its just that at the moment the lite has flat batteries . LOL ! so i dont mind being on the dole i sort of look at it like aahh well claim some tax back ! nothing lasts forever ! good things come to those that wait ! etc. plus if i had a job i would'nt be able to chat to all the bro's, dudes, dudettes, cuzzies, and sisters on this awesome site ..SO to mike i say go get em, go hard, its all there for you bro. good luck and peace man !

Congrats on your promotion Mike,,,,,nice to hear a person who can take a bad situation and make it into something positive....pat yourself on the back bro!

Latest posts

Back