I have a yellow edge on the leaves of one plant I have.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharonp

Reaction score
I do not have a picture of my plant, but I found something like it online. I have a soil test kit with the little capsules. You add some soil and water, plus the capsule. I only have one kit at home. Any tips would be appreciated. I can test for pH, nitrogen, potash, or phoshphorus. Which one should I do first? My plant leaves are not that yellow, it is just starting on two of the bigger leaves on the bottom.

Attachments

• abbac89a-4d7e-4bd9-944f-b9e141899864 (1).jpg
    abbac89a-4d7e-4bd9-944f-b9e141899864 (1).jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 5
  • potassiumdef2.jpg
    potassiumdef2.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 5
Test your Ph and then test your Potassium. A deficiency can display signs similar to yours. Is it all over the plant, old growth, new growth?

What is your humidity level? Temp?

Do you have a fan blowing a steady, hard wind on those leaves?

It is only on a couple of the bottom leaves, old growth. It has only started within the past 6 hours maybe. It is a lot thinner than the pictures. I have had a fan going sometimes but on low and not at night. I cannot tell the huminty I am still working on getting everything for my grow room. The temp stays around 73 degrees. I will test those. I have not been giving the plants any nutrients except a very weak miracle grow mixture in water, and that was only once or twice. The soil is all natural and I was trying to wait three weeks before I gave it anything. I just bought the Fox Farm Big Bloom but I haven't tried it yet.

Sometimes with low humidity, the plants transpire rapidly, if your soil has an excess of nutrients it can burn edges, a strong fan directly on the plant can exacerbate the issue.

Symptoms that show at the bottom of the plant, usually indicate a mobile nutrient, which Potassium is. If the soil Ph is in the right range, you should be able to add a Fert with decent Potassium content and the spread should not creep up the plant.

Test your Ph and then test your Potassium. A deficiency can display signs similar to yours. Is it all over the plant, old growth, new growth?

What is your humidity level? Temp?

Do you have a fan blowing a steady, hard wind on those leaves?

The pH is between 6-7 or 6.5 and the potassium in between low and medium. The potassium is harder to read I think it is low.

The leaves look like a potassium deficiency, so if your test is indicating that as well, we may be onto something :)

Sometimes with low humidity, the plants transpire rapidly, if your soil has an excess of nutrients it can burn edges, a strong fan directly on the plant can exacerbate the issue.

Symptoms that show at the bottom of the plant, usually indicate a mobile nutrient, which Potassium is. If the soil Ph is in the right range, you should be able to add a Fert with decent Potassium content and the spread should not creep up the plant.

I have the Fox Farm Bloom that has 70% potash, 50 phosphate, and 10 % iron.

I have the Fox Farm Bloom that has 70% potash, 50 phosphate, and 10 % iron.
I have that as well. Maybe start with a half dose, if your plants haven't had food yet. Then increase to 3/4 strength and finally to full strength. There are special products out there that offer a massive dose of Potassium, one of those may be needed to bring back the balance. Hopefully it is only a few leaves in the lower area and the FF Bloom will keep it at bay.

hmm, I start feeding my plants they day they show roots...mild at first but building up until flush...the wrong pH will lock out your nutes...the yellow banding with burnt edges appears to be a lack of potassium...verify your pH is is right, I fought nute lockout for 6 months, couldn't figure it out...my well sucks raw calcium up into it...I'm using RO for the win...

I have that as well. Maybe start with a half dose, if your plants haven't had food yet. Then increase to 3/4 strength and finally to full strength. There are special products out there that offer a massive dose of Potassium, one of those may be needed to bring back the balance. Hopefully it is only a few leaves in the lower area and the FF Bloom will keep it at bay.
Only one plant was affected, I have two that seem fine. Which is great!

hmm, I start feeding my plants they day they show roots...mild at first but building up until flush...the wrong pH will lock out your nutes...the yellow banding with burnt edges appears to be a lack of potassium...verify your pH is is right, I fought nute lockout for 6 months, couldn't figure it out...my well sucks raw calcium up into it...I'm using RO for the win...

I was worried there was to much nutrients in the soil already. So, I was holding off using anything.

Latest posts

Back