I have bugs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amateur Grower

Blending in...
Reaction score
Noticed something had eaten a small part of one of my leaves today. Then I noticed a "web" of some kind on some lower branches. All I have seen are those little gnats flying around. I need a non-toxic spray to use on my plants that are well into flowering-40 days or so.

Any ideas?

AG

bugs.jpg

bugs1.jpg

Can yual buy them ther ladybugs dont they hunt and eat other little critters and they dont come in chemical flavor might work.

BWD

I hope you don't hve the Borg.....that far into flowering you might want to try and just hold them off and then give the room a good cleaning. Jmo

BWD-I guess I could find some ladybugs but I want those critters gone NOW!

What's the borg hammy?

AG

Be quick fix would be glueboards or fly strips to catchim be bout the only way to do it without chemical use. Good luck me friend trail walkin.

BWD

Amateur Grower said:
BWD-I guess I could find some ladybugs but I want those critters gone NOW!

What's the borg hammy?

AG

Some peeps refer to all Spider Mites as the Borg but I believe it truly refers to the Spider Mites that hve become resistant or even immune to Floramite and the other hvy hitting pesticide. I hve been dealing with them for a bit now...thought I got rid of them but they reared their ugly heads again. Gonna hve to bleach the hell out of everything this summer.

thats funny I deleted my response, thinkin it was the borg but those holes through the leaf are not akin to the the leaf damage my girls have gotten from them...:confused2: at least ime.

Like BackWoods said ladybugs or even spider mite predators could help, if they are indeed the spider mite (gawd i h8 even typing out there name for fear of them)

but when he said "webbing" I got the heebeejeebee's and thought of them.

I don't think you have mites. Leaf damage is not consistent to what I have seen. Plus mites are to small to see with a naked eye(at least my naked eye) and they do not fly to my knowledge.

What do these flying gnats look like?

Do you have a oscillating fan in your grow space? That should help

Yeah I hve not seen Spider Mites eat holes in leaves but looking at his pics I see some white spots and when I hear webbing I cringe myself. I hope it's not them because they suck monkey balls.

Yeah. Those are mites, at least those pics. They just leave bit marks(turns white), then the fan leaves will start to crisp up and die off. IDK what it is. But Azamax is fantastic to have around if something pops up in latter flower.

Easy enough to tell, take a leaf and put it under a scope.If you See little moving bugs and white looking eggs you got the mites.

I looked once with a micro scope and saw little eggs on mine but I had to go to the doctor to get it fixed.

BWD

Thanks everyone. The gnats are visible to the naked eye-they fly around alot. Very small, black with translucent wings.

The "web" might have been a misnomer. It was actually just a couple of strings of silk, like a spider web but running back and forth between two adjacent branches. I have seen the gnats around my entire grow, but this is the first time I've ever seen the silk running between branches.

What do I look for to determine spider mites?

AG

UNDER THE LEAF THERE WILL BE MOVIng red/brown specs if u givem a finger nail. There will be rusted spots on the top of leaf as well...eggs will appear uner the leaf as well as lil whitish gathered lumps...webbing is indicativwe that the infestation has grown to an appreciable populace and must be dealt w/ imediate and thorough action...

if they weren't so =far into bloom I'd suggest an indoor fogger containing treylomethrin .075% concentration. that'll kill anything, including you, so don't be around if you do use it (inlcuding anything else living you care about).

That doesn't look like mite damage to me--I have never had them chew through the leaves and the edges of the leaves are affected. The fact that you also have small black flying things is significant. I believe that Rosebud has used a natural product called SM-90? that you could use right up to harvest.

I have used a product called mighty wash with pretty good results.

That doesn't look like mite damage to me either.

do you have stagnent water somewhere near your grow? small flying insects love stagnent water to use as a breeding ground

White Flies
White flies behave just like spider mites. The insect hides underneath the leaf, and sucks it's dinner from it. Which results in white spots on the top side of the leaf. White flies are easily spotted with the naked eye. If you shake the plant a little, they'll fly around. They look like little white moths, around 2 millimeters in size.

Solution: ·A white fly problem can be solved by misting your plants in a solution made of 1 part SM90, 5 parts water. When you spray the plants, and make sure you get the undersides(that's where they lay eggs). You'll want to do this when the lights are about to go off(or else the leaves will get burned).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thrips
Thrips are small, fast-moving insects with wings. They rasp, or grate the marijuana leaves open, and suck the sap out. Thrips prefer flowering tops, and fresh, young leaves. Affected leaves have shiny, silvery spots. This is caused by the thrips sucking the chlorophyll out of the leaves. In spite of the fact that they're small, you can see them marching in columns on an infested plant.

Solution: Thrips can be fought with your favorite insecticide. Or predatory insects, the thrips' natural enemy is Amblyseius cucumeris.

amblyseius cuccmeris
http://www.biconet.com/biocontrol/cucumeris.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you ALL for the advice. My wife's hard drive crashed this afternoon so my attention has been elsewhere.

I have always attributed the flying gnats to my grow being organic-feces and decaying stuff! And have you ever smelled Earth Juice Grow and Bloom? Nasty. I figured (hoped!) the gnats were not harmful, just a nuisance.

I'm afraid I might have mites. A couple of weeks ago I found 2 or 3 very small white sacks about half the size of a pin head underneath a leaf. I looked at them under a scope and mashed them and there seemed to be nothing in them. I forgot about them afterwards.

The girls are down for the night so I'll check at lights on. I'll try to get more pics.

AG

I do not believe that it is mites for the following reasons:

That is not what mite damaged leaves look like.
Mites leave thousands of egg sacks--not 2-3.
If you found egg sacks a couple of weeks ago and did nothing, you would have a full fledged invasion by now--you would be able to visibly see webs and see them scurrying about on the undersides of the leaves. My eyes are not great, but I can still see mites if I have them.

I think whatever your little black flying beasties are is what is eating your plant. Check out pics of white flies and thrips to see if they look like the culprits.

Latest posts

Back