I have read that autos veg and flower under the same amout of light

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skullcandy

Reaction score
Is this true do they veg and flower under a 18/6 light and if so do they grow outdoors in the summer and will they also flower at that time

Autos do not require a dark period to flower. They will flower in any amount of light, however a lot of auto growers do 20/4. Technically, autos do not have a veg period. They live a certain number of days and then die. You cannot clone them, you cannot veg for a long time to get them larger, they have a finite life span. Any stress can affect yield, so you want to keep them as stress free as possible. They generally do not do as well outdoors as they do indoors if you have good light as they cannot receive 20 hours of light a day unless you live well north.

I used to dabble with autos while waiting for new genetics to be grown from seed. I did an experiment with an auto cross that I bred and found that runnig them 24/0 vs. 20/4 will actually get them to finish a full week plus earlier. Since they don't need a dark period those extra 4 hours of light per day add up over a couple of months. 65 x 20 = 1300 vs. 56 x 24=1344 total hours of light. Smoke was really good but it's still not like a good 12/12 strain. Yield was great though at 3-4oz per plant believe it or not.

akhockey I think 3-4 oz a plant is frickin great I am courious as to why you say that the smoke is not the same as a 12/12 strain, whats the difference is it the quility not as good as a high what could it be?

I never had an auto yield anywhere near 3-4 ounces. That is a good yield off a 12/12 plant with a 6 week veg. That is not the norm and you shouldn't expect to get near that.

The quality of the smoke is not as good. Autos are 1/2 ruderalis, a strain of cannabis that does not get you high. I really didn't like growing them at all and only did when I got free seeds. I had a buddy that grew them for a while and then went to photoperiod plants. You can get about the same turn-around and the same yield, but with better quality bud by growing clones and flowering them right away.

if autos don't get a person high whats the point in growing them, I like mj with cbd and cbdn thc is good to but I got to get the body relaxation. well thc is also a most

skullcandy said:
if autos don't get a person high whats the point in growing them, I like mj with cbd and cbdn thc is good to but I got to get the body relaxation. well thc is also a most

They get you high. The difference is in the quality of the smoke...and say you do get a good one now and then. You can't clone it so what a waste. I used to grow them back when I first started, then I got some experience and realized 12-12 strains was where it is at. Jmo

skullcandy said:

Not saying that they don't get you high, but generally speaking, the quality is not as good.

People grow them because they finish fast and you don't have to change the lights to 12/12. To me the downsides are that you cannot clone them, the high is not as good and they really should have 20 hours of light a day to do their best, rather than the 12 hours that photoperiod plants require.

Most people who have grown autos and then grow photoperiod never go back to autos. A lot of new growers are enamored with them because they are ready in 10-12 weeks and creating a light tight space is not necessary.

I see what your saying they pack a punch but not that knock out punch I am just going to have too try some myself, so I can understand .

It is actually pretty simple. Part of the genetics come from a strain of cannabis that does not contain THC and CBCs. Consequently, the plant when it is grown does not contain the same percentages of those cannabinoids as a photoperiod plant that does not contain any ruderalis (think 1/2 as much). IMO, the only real advantage to growing autos is the speed with which they finish. However like mentioned, this can also be accomplished with rooted clones.

Give it a go if you want. I think you will find that it just doesn't do what you want it to and the quantity is not there either. But they are generally fairly easy to grow and you don't have to worry about light leaks. Try not to stress them as anything that stresses them will affect yield. You cannot give them a "recovery period" like you can photoperiod plants if they have problems.

skullcandy said:
akhockey I think 3-4 oz a plant is frickin great I am courious as to why you say that the smoke is not the same as a 12/12 strain, whats the difference is it the quility not as good as a high what could it be?
I made a cross between Snowryder and Onyx and have had 2 phenos inthebatch of seeds I harvested. Ihave growntheminhydro and supersoil and regularly yielded 3-4 oz per. The smoke was good crystallyand pretty, just not the oomph that you get from good 12/12 genetics. I shared alot of it and neverhad a complaint. Im talking 4-5 hit vs 2-3 with the GDP and Purplehaze Im running now.And theres always the male vs female issue. With clones you dont need to worry. If I had to start over for any reasonId definitely grow my AK Black Snow again while I was vegging a12/12 seed grow. Clones are just so much more user friendly when you get a fave. I got lucky with a good cross and the phenos are really similar. Funny thing is the snowryder wasa fem freebie. Ive had good luck with freebies. Sometimesbetterthan what I ordered. Sorry in advanceformy precieved illeteracy. My spacebar issticking badly tonight.

I still have not tryed autos but I do plan on starting some indoors next year then placing then outside midsummer to see what the good'l sun can get them to produce for me, snowryder gets mentioned alot I will probobly be going with that

Autos do best indoor with 20 hours or so of light. If you are putting them outdoors, I am curious why you are planning on autos rather than photoperiod, which will undoubtedly do better outdoors?

for the same reason to see how much it gets and to taste it at it's best that I can grow it. I can put her in pot and move it around in the sun she will finish fast

skullcandy said:
for the same reason to see how much it gets and to taste it at it's best that I can grow it. I can put her in pot and move it around in the sun she will finish fast

Well, if you want it at its best, you are going to want to keep it under 20+ hours of light a day--something you cannot do outside. I guess that I just don't really understand growing an auto strain that we know is not as potent as photoperiod strains when you have plenty of room to grow the better stuff....

Well curiosity killed the cat.
But in this case I'd say that fish should be the one worried.
Lol. Just jokes.
I've always wanted to try an auto. But yield n potency is what's holding me back.
LH.

I did it, check out my journal

I bought autos and harvested them as my photos were reaching sexual maturity, this was main reason for trying autos and curiousity obviously.

Ok so now in my limited experience
It can be worth it to give them a shot, the potency is not there yet but is better than nothing or shake lol. As for yield I believe that with the right auto strain chosen you could get some decent hauls. My plants were not maxed out with food or given optimal light schedule, the cheese candy was a good yielder and had a wicked aroma to her.

Latest posts

Back