I need Electrical advice????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LoL I wish it was that simple. Unfortunatly it's not :(

i guess i dont need it that bad

it would just be alot more effective or would just be a less extension cord,, but oh well not a big deal

ill just put the switch back in.. thanks alot for all your guys help.. :D

I really thought it would work. But once I saw those pics and thought about it. It just can't be done without doing some work. If you had a guy come in who knew what he was doing he could have it done in an hour for you no problem. But who wants to pay an electrician 60$ an hour to come over LoL

WrEkkED said:
Ok...

After studying these pictures over and over, and writting this instruction about 3 times and erasing it each time, I have come to the conclusuion that only one thing can save you, a complete rewire.

I'd stick that old switch in and leave it be. You don't have enough wires for that receptacle. point blank, it's not possible. I kept thinking I could, obviously going against all safety codes, but the laws of physics won't allow it either.

They have the neutral go right to the light and doesn;t go through either box. I'd bet you 1000$ it's in the ceiling and totally unaccessable. The black "hot" goes into the switch and has a white (now known as an identified condutor, and in this case a traveler) and the red is a traveler too. They go into the 3 way switch in the other room and the black "hot" will then go to the light at that point. They don't do new homes for reasons like this, but unfortunatly, that's the way it goes. You could get it working, but you have have to cut some holes into your walls and repatch them. Wouldn't be hard, just time consuming. I don't know if it's worth it to you or not.

Sorry about the bad luck! I would just run an extension cord from another location if you need power in your closet.

How do you think they have white going to the light and the hot to one of the switches?
Is this knob and tube wiring? or is it romex?

All I need to see is a picture of the light fixtures box, if you have both 3 wire pairs and the feed wire you can do it.

it's romex. So yes you will always have 2 wires, but since this is a 3 way they used the white and red for travelors. the white is no longer a neutral because there is no return path via it. It's hard to explain what they do, so I will draw a diagram on paint.

LoL after racking my brain on how they did this. I actually have no clue. They must have done smething crazy like this diagram...

WrEkkED said:
it's romex. So yes you will always have 2 wires, but since this is a 3 way they used the white and red for travelors. the white is no longer a neutral because there is no return path via it. It's hard to explain what they do, so I will draw a diagram on paint.

You are 100% correct cant be done, your one wire short.
It is just like in this link http://www.handymanwire.com/articles/3wayswitch.html

You only have the hot and a switched leg coming from the light so your one wire short to bring the neutral down to a switch.

ok guys thanks for all you input... i really appreciate it.. i dont think i spelled that right oh well..

lol smoke sum of this yummy kinda piney...:D

Dro Pic.jpg

mmmm...yummy...can i smoke it all in one shot?

oh sheet you can try it if you want, but i guarantee you dont make it thru the whole blunt... lol :D

This isnt that complicated. if there was a switch there then because whever wired the house was using romex they sent a hot to the switch(probably black) and on the other terminal(closed) the used a non-typical color (red? White?) to send the power to the light once the contact is made(flip the switch)... you may need to get in the attic and change a few things..

Actually in the US, white is the hot, black is the ground.
:confused: hahaha who told you that? White is neutral(common) Black is hot(110) and green or bare copper is ground, If a red AND black are present it usually indicates TWO hot feeds of 110 which would be used for 220v....
This is not only a rule of thumb but it's code in the U.S.... But that doesnt mean that everyone does it by code.

Also..most every recepticle has a built in jumper made of thin metal, if you look closely between the two terminals on each side you will see them. they CAN be removed easily but I doubt it has been. There is no need for a jumper unless you are wiring two recepticals in a 4x4 box.

In the electrical world, residential electricians are the worst for code. They will do just enough to pass LoL they will conceal boxes in the ceiling etc. back in the day, code wasn't as up to par.

The problem with the way the wiring is here, for adding a receptacle, you need 4 wires. 2 in, 2 out, theres only 3 there. Unless of course he didn't want to keep his switch and light in the other room.

You are also totally correct that you can use 2 wires for 240v, but in this case only the black is hot and they use the red as a traveler.

LoL and ya that little jumper isn't needed. I didn't know if it was a duplex or not but was going to address that once I figured out all the wiring.

o and, I bet I do make it through the whole blunt...

sleeping LoL

lol sleeping with the last of it burning and start a fire..

if my hair caught on fire, and i fell out a 5 story window, if i got hit by a bus. matter fact yo *** didnt even get hit by a bus... lol from the movie how high theres a bit more as sum may know...

i wanna get highhhhhh so highhhhhhh

I may fall asleep and start a fire, but i'll tell you this. It will be one hell of a fun ride to hell. hehe

http://www.electricalknowledge.com/images/Simple3Way.gif

way a 3 way switch works

first thing is wiring

14/2 wire has 3 wires in it

black = the hot wire
white = neutral wire
copper = ground

14/3 wire has 4 wires in it

black = hot
red = hot
white = neutral
copper = ground

14/2 wire goes from your fuse box to your switch, then 14/3 wire goes from switch to switch ( this is th how the three way works, look at link ) ,

Hey WreKKed Just so you know I wasnt trying to start a debate, it just gets confusing when you have 10 different people who ARENT electricians telling this man things like "white is hot black is ground" haha sorry doucher...thats silly tho.

Latest posts

Back