I need Electrical advice????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Growdude said:
You really should read the thread before posting the same info and link that I provided on page 2.

you are correct, it was a long thread

the second link i posted was not the same

second, your one link is showing the power coming to the light in all diagrams,

my second link shows how the power source can come in at different locations

lol, is all i can say for messing up trying to help someone, and messing up someone elses credit

dan2007 said:
you are correct, it was a long thread

the second link i posted was not the same

second, your one link is showing the power coming to the light in all diagrams,

my second link shows how the power source can come in at different locations

lol, is all i can say for messing up trying to help someone, and messing up someone elses credit

Its cool sorry if I was a prick

i never even seen it as a debate LoL it's good when everyone gives advice cuz everyone misses something at some point ;)

I thought this would work at first... until I thought it over.

if the power went to the light first, the light would always be on. that's how we know it doesn't :p

I thought of that too. And was like yea... that won't work LoL

WrEkkED said:
if the power went to the light first, the light would always be on. that's how we know it doesn't :p

I thought of that too. And was like yea... that won't work LoL

The power wire can enter at the light or any of the 3 way switches.
If it enters at the light only the neutral wire is connected to the light the hot runs back to the switches and up to the light as seen in this example.
http://www.handymanwire.com/articles/3wayswitch.html.

If this is the case the only way it will work is to get rid of the light as you are one wire short to bring down the neutral a hot and the switched leg.

I don't think they could have done that since they dont have any wires comming out of the bottom of the one box.

But good call on the wiring going to the light first. I def didn't think of that.

If they did do that problem is you have no neutral because it stopped at the light. You can wire it to be, but that light will be on whenever the receptacle is on. so if your doing 24 hour lighting on your plants, that light will be on 24 hours. If you want to do that, I can tell you how. Do'nt know if it will work or not because of the wiring. But might be worth looking in your light box to see how the wiring is.

"Up to code" This is where the dreaded code comes from,The N.E.C,actually compiled by,or helped compiled by Firefighting Personnel.Google the National Electrical Code.Very few places,both residential and especially Industrial are truly up to code.And yes the switch is very simple to install,remember black to brass will fry your' ***.Black or red to the brass screw,white=neutral.When in doubt lock it out! the power.

no not yet lol lol son of a ***** lol jus playin

nah im gonna just skip it, its not my house and the attic is kinda small and im a kinda big guy and dont wanna fall thru the ceiling

the extra outlet just would have been a lot better but i can still manage...

THANKS ALOT to ALL you guys and or girls for your help you guys deserve sum rep for that

:D

LoL yea the code is written by lawyers too.. what the hell do they know about electricity?

seriously, i have installed recepticles in place of 3 way switches by switching the wires around above the light fixture or behind one switch and changing one switch to a regular spst switch. it is easily done using a volt meter to locate the main input behind one switch or above the light and using the existing wire that goes to the other 3 way switch as a direct lead to the outlet. the key is to locate the main input lead. from the pictures that i have looked at that you posted, i gather that the main isnt in the closet, so it would have to be in the box above the light fixture or behind the switch in the computer room. pm me if you are still interested. i am a liscensed electrician for low and high voltages

the only problem is i dont see a neutral anywhere? where is that sucker hidding. The white going to both boxes is being used as a traveler. Would love to see if you get this working. Always good to learn something new! (seeing as I'm a lowely apprentice)

Latest posts

Back