I need Electrical advice????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BushyKush420

Reaction score
I have a light switch in my closet and it controls the light in an other room which is odd, dumb EDITED FOR LANGUAGE. but there is also a switch in the same room of that of the light and i was wondering if the switch in my closet would be able to be switched to a standard 110 outlet or whatever it is. so if i just found out which wires (black and white) usually, controls the light and just capped them with those wire caps and then isnt there another set of wires that are the power?? then i would use them to power the outlet?? :confused:

Bushykush...make sure you shut off the breaker before you do any work. Remove the switch and you should be able to put an outlet in its place. Good luck to you.

Hey yorker thanks for getting back to me so quick, so that way is a safe and right way to do it? for a light switch into a outlet i would just cap the two wires that lead to the light and stuff those in away and use the other two on the outlet? thats kewl if so thanks alot :)

You don't cap any of the wires. You need all 4 wires to connect an outlet. Remove the switch and put the 4 wires into the back of an outlet that you buy at Home Depot. Ask for the electrician and he will show you where to put the wires. It's very simple. Just make sure you shut off the breaker at the panel.

in that case on the back of you switch you will see 2 wires in one hole that on is going to other room get your self double switch couse you can live those wires hangin and if you not connect the m you not going to have power in other room

switches are easy to work with on the back you got instructions
Green = ground wire
Black = positive/+
White = minus/-

this is what i got, im wondering if you mean an outlet that also has a switch on it like one found in a bathroom? which i cant use sort of since the box in the wall is a small box and i would have to cut the drywall. ok now i cant upload the pics?? how do i make the file size smaller? i took it pretty close.
:confused:

BushyKush420 said:
this is what i got, im wondering if you mean an outlet that also has a switch on it like one found in a bathroom? which i cant use sort of since the box in the wall is a small box and i would have to cut the drywall. ok now i cant upload the pics?? how do i make the file size smaller? i took it pretty close.
:confused:

Try this: http://www.resize2mail.com/advanced.php

On the back of the outlet are openings for four wires; 2 white and 2 black. think of it as completing the circuit, one wire with a outlet in between. All you have to do is strip the wire a good 1/2" and stick it straight into the opening and it stays securely. Remember to shut of the breaker at the panel.

not alweys you wolud have 4 wires sometimes is only 3 then you have to bridge that sucka little pice of wire goin from + to + or from - to -

brouli said:
not alweys you wolud have 4 wires sometimes is only 3 then you have to bridge that sucka little pice of wire goin from + to + or from - to -
this is what i got

and your sure that it would work from 1. being a light switch that controls a light in a different room and this light switch doesnt have an outlet with it. its a plain dual outlet. i just dont want to start a fire..lol so from light switch to outlet will work?? ok

i meant in your wall you will not alwes have 4 wires two black two whit you can have 1 black 2 white

brouli said:
i meant in your wall you will not alwes have 4 wires two black two whit you can have 1 black 2 white

ahh gottcha i just wanna get it right. so whatever amount i have ( if i end up having 1 white and 1 black will that power both plugs or just the ones that i put the wires on..? because there is 2 sets of blk/wht one looks like its for the top plug and one lower that looks like its for the bottom plug or is that just to run the other wires like for a light? im not to familar with electricity, and i hate working with it.. pls bare with me.

ok so if you wil have only one white one blak and ground (you know wher it going )

take 2 small pices of wire and bridge them just like on the picture , and you good to go just remember ground is most important i hope that you have ground wire ??
i f not take another pice of wire conct on the back of the jack where ground goes and other end to prame inside the wall in metal box that holds the jack should be 2 scrues conect to any one of them and there you go safe jack :)

back of outlet.jpg

brouli said:
ok so if you wil have only one white one blak and ground (you know wher it going )

take 2 small pices of wire and bridge them just like on the picture , and you good to go just remember ground is most important i hope that you have ground wire ??
i f not take another pice of wire conct on the back of the jack where ground goes and other end to prame inside the wall in metal box that holds the jack should be 2 scrues conect to any one of them and there you go safe jack :)

so i hooked up that outlet and its not working. i had a blk wire and white wire along with a red wire. which i hooked to the green screw.. and now the light in the other room isnt working or the other switch in that same room. the blk was to the hot and the white is to the white and the red is to the green screw.

brouli said:
cool thats godd its workin

nah its not working, along with the other light switch in the other room or the light isnt on nemore.. ne suggestions

i knowit i just knowit i didnt wonna killl your buzz man but the wire that you have who ever that dushbak was he pull wires from your light switch to powers jack usualy beinde wall :( when you read this send me a PM

Latest posts

Back