I would like your opinions please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Rosebud

So my friends in Oregon who have big buildings on there property want to start growing commercially. These folks are in their 60's,good shape, and no NOTHING about growing pot or anything else. They have an investor. My question to you folks, especially commercial growers, do you think it is possible for someone with no knowledge can do this?

I told them to try growing three plants first and see how that goes. I think they won't succeed, but wish they could.

Do you think this is even possible if money is not a huge option?

Yes if they do the proper research.

And hire some strong backs.

imo---they would be crazy---investor too---without taking in another partner to pencil out upfront costs, set things up, hold their hand thru a few harvests---every grow space has it's own unique challenges that only experience would help limit losses and handle the intangibles---they need to be prepared to hire labor, security, sit tight for return on their investment, and have a market to sell their product

I had -0- experience growing ANYTHING a year (12 months) ago.
Were talking -0- garden -0- house plants, N O T H I N G!
(alright... I admit, I grew some mold in an old coffee mug REALLY well :p)

I understand you cant get any further away from a "commercial" setup than my ONE plant in flower and 2-3 bonsai moms in VEG but that's more an issue of legality and family first etc. Trust me, once I'm in a better (legal) situation I will be in a much (MUCH) larger space.

So IMHO yes I think they could.

Orange brings up some GREAT points though, an experienced hand to guide them @ the start would accelerate the learning-curve a LOT!
(which is exactly what this sight (and MC) and all of you did for me! (thanks btw)

I think they could do it with some serious help, someone like NCH to be there daily. Hired on I mean, paid a salary. I know a couple who put in 20 last year, upped it to 99 this year and are/were having some problems at harvest (this was outdoor) not enough hands do finish the job. Also having a hard time finding buyers. Which always amazes me, there should be a more organized group to buy the stuff somehow. Just my thoughts here Rose, just thoughts. Also not sure about the logistics legal wise about growing up there, but I would think they would want to be registered with the state of they were doing a lot. I would.

They need to apply for licensing first, see if you can even get permission to grow the amount the property can handle.

They have been approved by the city. I don't know if Oregon knows what it is doing yet, as Washington still doesn't. I don't think they could do an outdoor grow at the beach up north...too wet. Roses can't live because of black spot, seriously wet.

TC Bud, that is what i was thinking. They need someone like that. She is a good business woman, but not a gardener. The bill was just passed this month I believe.

I think I may send them this thread if you all don' t mind.

Duck, boy do I hear you, they have to want to do the research, I think there is a passion most of us have, duh. I don' t think they will have that. Thanks you for your thoughts.

It seems that whenever money is involved, even the smallest hick up can cost huge amounts. Majority of investors are not interested in learning curve, just the results. Just to find phenol's to clone could take 3 months and all the time, the clock is ticking. I can tell you NCH has made every mistake you can make, and he has been growing a long time.

This is something that I don't even know if I would want to get into using someone elses money, even with decades of experience. Huge commercial grows can be terribly complicated and no matter how good a business woman someone is, I think this is a mistake. There are a thousand things that can go wrong, even with tons of reading and studying and strong backs. IMO, it is a real mistake to believe that you can start and maintain a huge grow with no experience or any other business that you have 0 knowledge or experience. Jeez, they have no idea of what it entails and want to start with a warehouse? This is no different than any other business and I am quite surprised that they can find an investor when they have zero experience, as those with money should be able to find very experienced growers with proven track records??? Are they investing any of their personal money? In fact, when I think about this is depth, something just doesn't sound right....why would investors give huge amounts of money to someone who knows nothing at all about growing??

I personally think this is unwise.

no offense, love ya rose.. but i hope not.

i rather the ones who've done this for years, and faced all the uphill battles dealing with all the **.. now get rewarded.
like you mention; the ones with the passion.

kinda bothers me to see people with backing jump on the bandwagon with profiteering dreams, trying to swoop in just because of the money.

this is ours.. they wanted no part of it before, when we kept this plant around through decades of prohibition..
no, we should reep the rewards now.

JMO

no offense, love ya rose.. but i hope not.

i rather the ones who've done this for years, and faced all the uphill battles dealing with all the **.. now get rewarded.
like you mention; the ones with the passion.

kinda bothers me to see people with backing jump on the bandwagon with profiteering dreams, trying to swoop in just because of the money.

this is ours.. they wanted no part of it before, when we kept this plant around through decades of prohibition..
no, we should reep the rewards now.

JMO
Totally agree 110%.

I get the feeling most think that growing is just some easy job with lots of profit involved. Without that passion, very few will succeed and keeping it real I like it that way.

Totally agree 110%.

I get the feeling most think that growing is just some easy job with lots of profit involved. Without that passion, very few will succeed and keeping it real I like it that way.

I have seen so many try, and even with great advice and help, still fail and waste 1000s ,just to find out sadly that this not some get rich scheme.

My daughter in seattle said there were 12 licenses issued for store fronts. There are only 2 left in business. In the whole city. And they had no product except 29 dollar grams. Now the have the od stuff coming in and it is getting lower priced.

Does that mean the other 10 failed in getting product?

One bout of spider mites can ruin a crop and your 3--4 months are down the drain. How many of us look at are plants every day and still miss something. I couldn't take the stress. This is kind bud. Pretty hard to become the walmart of pot.

I hope they don't do it. I doubt they will when they read this. Thank you all so much. I appreciate each post.

I hope that they will take our advise here. PJ is correct that most people thing that this growing is an easy way to big profits, but like you said, disease or a single hermie can ruin an entire crop after months and months of work. And I do not believe that most people understand the work involved and that this is not like growing tomatoes.

I'm in Oregon and been debating whether or not to start growing commercially or not. The state will not issue commercial grow licenses until 2016. What part of this state are they in?

It's very very wet on the coast of Oregon. That would be a long way for me to drive if we joined forces. I'm still willing to help them out if they need it.

Very sweet of you to offer Bswe. I haven't talked to them since sending this... I bet they end up not doing it. I sure hope they don't. I see epic fail at this point.

I'm in Oregon and been debating whether or not to start growing commercially or not. The state will not issue commercial grow licenses until 2016. What part of this state are they in?

I would give you the same advise I gave Rosebud's friends.

Latest posts

Back