idea for soil pot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr.determined

herb nerd
Reaction score
i have a basket that is covered in holes around the sides and bottom.i am about to transplant into ff ocean forest from cheap hyponex soil that i used when i was way past due for a trans plant.also i am a first time grower that did the typical over watering.now i have an infestation of fungus gnats.i used the basket and lined the basket with window screen.will this promote aeration to the roots and allow for better drainage.some one had told me that it was basically like a air root pruning pot.does anyone know anything about this.some pros and cons and info please.thank you

p6290023.jpg

With the liner how is the Roots going to get air?

Phatpharmer

Why are you using that? cant you buy a real pot? I think youll have problems with that.. If you cant buy one you can find them probably out side anywhere..

hes just using his brain :rolleyes:
i could maybe see a dark tightly weaven
wicker basket in a good size working. you know?

Odd idea, only prob is that fungus gnats breed in the top dry 2mm of soil. with this setup you have 2mm of dry soil on 5 out of 6 sides..... also roots HATE light.

the roots will be able to get air,the basket is lined with screen material.yes i can buy a real pot but i was thinking and saw that and figured it would give excellent drainage and aerate the roots well. as far as the roots and lights,i was told that the roots get pruned by the air creating new root growth providing for better nut consumption.

mr.determined said:
the roots will be able to get air,the basket is lined with screen material.yes i can buy a real pot but i was thinking and saw that and figured it would give excellent drainage and aerate the roots well. as far as the roots and lights,i was told that the roots get pruned by the air creating new root growth providing for better nut consumption.

Someone posted a thread on those air-pots/air pruning a few weeks back. Interesting concept for sure. And relatively new, or one tht I had never heard of anyway.

I'm thinking the holes in the window screen are gonna get blocked with soil and roots as they are very small and drainage will not be as good as expected.

mr.determined said:
i have a basket that is covered in holes around the sides and bottom.i am about to transplant into ff ocean forest from cheap hyponex soil that i used when i was way past due for a trans plant.also i am a first time grower that did the typical over watering.now i have an infestation of fungus gnats.i used the basket and lined the basket with window screen.will this promote aeration to the roots and allow for better drainage.some one had told me that it was basically like a air root pruning pot.does anyone know anything about this.some pros and cons and info please.thank you

Hi,

Whatever type of pot, laundry basket etc., make sure that your soil surface and top inch or so thoroughly dry out between waterings. If you do this you'll make it much less hospitable for the gnats. They thrive on surfaces of over watered soil. If your infestation is heavy you may consider using Gnatrol - a natural fungicide and gnat killer. I've also read where a good grower suggested putting a layer of sand on the surface of your soil and they'll disappear...

Good Luck!:cool:

ahh-ha!.. I was thinking Umbra?.. ;)
TY !!!

Latest posts

Back