I'm Germinating My Seeds Right Now...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuerillaGrower420

Reaction score
First time, I dampened 2 paper towels, put about 12 seeds on that, put another 2 damp paper towels on top, and shut the lid on tupperware container, and put it over a heater register with clothes over i t t o protect from sun. I have some questions:
1)There was no heat coming out of the register, but I read that it's good to have the container "warm" the only thing I could think of was putting a cornbag by it (like the ones you use for a backache) and microwaved the bag for 2 minutes and put it under the container, did this OVERheat it?

and

2) If the paper towels are too wet, can that be detrimental?

Just keep the paper towels wet and roots should be poking out in the next few days. As soon as they crack and the root is poking out a little bit, plant them. I wouldn't worry about trying to keep them warm. As long as they are at room temperature, they should sprout just fine. Keep us posted. Take care and be safe.

i put mine in a small container with paper towels.......then sit my router on top of it.......works just fine for me..................couple of day´s and baby roots start to appear.

i place mine on top of my hotwater tank, and then put the heating on, the box steams up a little, but then you have a warm moist condition which is what your looking for. personally i think the heat pack will work a treat, in fact, i have a few lying around i think ill give it a try. i will be starting my seeds soon too :)

I ended up just putting them on top of the freezer...Figured I'd just take a risk with the other people living here and hope they don't look up there in the next couple days, which they usually don't anyways

Are they bag seed? What color are the seeds?

the seeds may not be developed properly, do you have any brown 1s? they would work better. keep them in a plastic food bag, wrapped in a thin Tshirt on top of a heater/radiator (only on a low heat). on top of the freezer may not be warm enough for them to germ.

Hey man I just put my beans in the ground today, 5 lowryder feminised:D
Havent done lowryder yet so should be fun, and another 5 going in in 2 weeks!
Good luck on the germinating, mine took 3 days this time round....:D

The method i have found to be the most reliable is like you the damp paper towels but i placethem in a baggie and put in sock drawer and i have found that the striped ones tend to germinate most easily and are most viable. It should only take no more than a week for them to pop open

Are you talking about the striped socks. So striped socks in your drawer will germ your seeds better than white socks. I have heard black socks soke up heat did you try germing them with black socks in the drayer. Slim

it means the beans arent fully developed, and so they probably arent strong enough to germinate. seeds should be brown, with a tiger stripe look about them.

FirstTimeGrow said:
Is there anyway I could get these ones to work?

Hey man have you tried putting your beans in a jar of water and leave them over night till they sink to the bottom and then try germ them, works for me everytime!:D

FirstTimeGrow said:
Thanks...Should I try that even though they have been in wet paper towels?

Yeah man I did it this year, I forgot to soak the seeds prior to germination!
What I did was just popped those seeds in a jam jar full of water and they fell to the bottom with in a few hours and then I put them back in the paper towels and that did the job grand!
Hope it works dude......:D

Latest posts

Back