I'm looking for a new line of nutes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hackerman

Reaction score
Just FYI, I'm soil, not hydro.

I have used Fox Farm's for the last few grows and I want to try something different to see if I notice any change.

One thing I like about FF is the Big Bloom. I like it's very low 0.01-0.3-0.7 mix. It's weak enough that I can use it every other watering. They claim it's organic and should help keep the micro-nutes in line.

I visit another forum where they all swear by Jack's Classic. Anyone here ever use that?

Just looking for what worked for you over the years.

Thanks

I`ve been wanting to try Neptune`s Harvest line of nutes.

Hey man, I would suggest J..... wait, wait.. soil?

*Turns and runs*

:D Good luck Hackerman. GH 3 Part Flora series is supposed to be great.

I've been using Jack's Classic for two years now. Before that I was using General Organics.

What a big difference once I switched to Jacks. First, it's so easy it feels like I'm cheating when growing with jacks. I put 1/2 tspn in 1 gal of water and feed. That's it....from beginning to end. I water almost every day and never get nute burn. I do have to add calmag at times depending on strain....other strains I have to add bat guano a few times in flower.

I use Jack's bloom booster (10-30-20) almost exclusively from beginning to end, but have also used their general nutes (20-20-20) and their citrus feed (low P) without issue.

Effective Microorganisms it is what we use in organic growing. Duck and I both like the True Living Organics.. That is a book and it is the basis for organic growing.

Organics is definitely on my list. It seems like the most logical method in that it is probably closest to true nature and the soils and nutes are mostly hand made so it's probably cheaper than chem nutes as well.

From what little I have read, it seems like the most logical method but I can also see that it will take a fair amount of reading to gather all the knowledge required to do it correctly.

What would you say is the biggest difference between org and chem? How's the cost comparison? Taste comparison? I imagine yield and quality depend more on the grower and the genetics than org vs chem so I won't ask that. Thanks

Hackerman, i have never grown pot any other way so i can't tell you taste or cost or yield comparison. For me making medicine for sick people it would be out of the question using synthetic nutrients. I love organics. I love integrated pest management, i use that in my yard as well. I love soil, i love the earth.. that is just me. I think you get a bigger yield in hydro. But i have plenty so yield isn't a big deal to me.. I grow enough.

Step up to organics, or down, however you want to look at it. Go to the organic side. we will help you, if you really want to.

I've used Jack's Classic for over 40 years, still do on some flowers. You will not find anything better, just more expensive, cooler names, and really nice art work, which the higher cost covers.

Doing organics for anything that gets ingested in any way.

BTW, Jack's is designed to be used with a limed mix and has no Ca or Mg on purpose. Just a FYI.

DD

GH 3 part flora series. Cheap, easy to use and works great.

@DD. Are you saying I'll probably need to supplement with CalMag if I use Jack's? Or, that it is designed to be used without it and that I should avoid it?

@Rose. I have always been pretty green and natural. I make most of my own foods and I am very particular about any food I buy. I guess when I think about it, I would never eat food that has been through what I put my pot through. LOL You're making me hungry for organics. I'll grab a copy of that book and start reading up. :)

@DD. Are you saying I'll probably need to supplement with CalMag if I use Jack's? Or, that it is designed to be used without it and that I should avoid it?

@Rose. I have always been pretty green and natural. I make most of my own foods and I am very particular about any food I buy. I guess when I think about it, I would never eat food that has been through what I put my pot through. LOL You're making me hungry for organics. I'll grab a copy of that book and start reading up. :)

No, I'm saying you add dolomite lime to your soil mix. 1cup/cf of mix. Cost is under $5 for a 40lb bag at HD or Lowes.

One application per grow is all you need.

DD/Wetdog

Hackerman, i have never grown pot any other way so i can't tell you taste or cost or yield comparison. For me making medicine for sick people it would be out of the question using synthetic nutrients. I love organics. I love integrated pest management, i use that in my yard as well. I love soil, i love the earth.. that is just me. I think you get a bigger yield in hydro. But i have plenty so yield isn't a big deal to me.. I grow enough.

Step up to organics, or down, however you want to look at it. Go to the organic side. we will help you, if you really want to.

I'm actually thinking of doing 1 large plant in a 2x2x7 under LED's with a fully organic mixture. Both to learn it, and to try it. Also, this mixture would transpire to my veg garden and flower gardens, yes? :)

Also, is it even worth it (mix up / cook etc) to do this for 1 (big) plant?

Sorry, not trying to jack your thread Hackerman, just figured I'd ask whilst it was opportune. Rose, feel free to PM me, and delete this comment, if you think this is thread hi-jacking :D No worries

This is about the best nutes. I don't feel we are hi jacking this thread.

Absolutely Fang, the vegetable garden would be so happy to have a wonderful organic soil. This is just me, "here she goes" I feel every home needs to compost the kitchen waste, you know, the peels, the old fruit, the moldy lemon, just no meat or oil. I have a cute little compost pot by my sink. Then when it is full it goes to the first composter. I add green and brown. grass and leaves... and in a long time, you have black gold. Yes i add micos and other things for the soil, but that compost is my start. I use that in my od grows or to add to my bagged soil. THere are lots of soil recipes here. i have used nouvelles recipe or others. If you want exact let me know.

For one big plant i would buy a bag of ffof.

Okie dokie :D

Soon as I'm ready, we'll be in touch. Question.... I assume you can't compost easily outside in the winter. I mean, I get loads and loads of snow. So this would be seasonal for me yes? At least, the ability to compost and do some other various things.

I have loads of lawn / leaf clippings during the other 3 seasons, and we can gladly compost organic things, it would even be sort of fun. I would give this a go on a small scale, I mean, since we'll be having a veggie garden this year and always have flowers. :D

You will never regret making your own black gold. YAY, glad your going to try.

Latest posts

Back