In market for water purification

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ganjier

Bud of the Month Winner
Reaction score
I am tired of having to bring home gallons of purified water and then discarding of the plastic containers. I have city tap water at 200 ppm and a ph of 6.6. I just want something I can attach to under my sink or even something more simple. i am no plumber, but am handy. Any insight would be great. Thank you.

My water comes out of the ground at 7.0 and the same PPM as yours. I never bothered with water purification. Never could see paying to remove the stuff and then paying to put it back.
Hmmm, ok. Do you let it sit out at all or use right away? Have you had any issues? Would growing in coco make a difference? Thanks.

I use a Stealth 100 R/O filter system. But the water is so good here my friend only lets tap water sit long enough for the clorine to disapate. I see no difference in our plants.....but I paid for the thing so I will use it.

I grow hydro in those little clay ball thingies. I do run a plastic trash can full. I have also used it straight outta the tap. I usually run my reserve tanks full, add my nutes, and then adjust the PH down with phosphoric acid. You can buy the stuff at the grow store, or you can head for any farm type supply and buy milkstone remover. Same stuff, same color, just a little more potent, and half the price. For PH up, I use baking soda. Cheap and works. Cal mag? Nope. Epsom's salts. Cheaper and works just as good.
I'll tell ya about my nutrients some day.

I use a Stealth 100 R/O filter system. But the water is so good here my friend only lets tap water sit long enough for the clorine to disapate. I see no difference in our plants.....but I paid for the thing so I will use it.
What numbers are your plain tap water?

I grow hydro in those little clay ball thingies. I do run a plastic trash can full. I have also used it straight outta the tap. I usually run my reserve tanks full, add my nutes, and then adjust the PH down with phosphoric acid. You can buy the stuff at the grow store, or you can head for any farm type supply and buy milkstone remover. Same stuff, same color, just a little more potent, and half the price. For PH up, I use baking soda. Cheap and works. Cal mag? Nope. Epsom's salts. Cheaper and works just as good.
I'll tell ya about my nutrients some day.
Interesting. Thank you.

I’ve got at least three reverse osmosis units and you’re more than welcome to one. They were given to be my another grower, and the only thing you have to replace is the filter elements, so there is good as new once you buy them.

I’ve got at least three reverse osmosis units and you’re more than welcome to one. They were given to be my another grower, and the only thing you have to replace is the filter elements, so there is good as new once you buy them.
I am wondering if I even need them now......I guess I cant really find out until I water a plant with it. i am guessing since it its city water I would at least need to let them sit 24 hours to let chlorine evaporate. Just looking around here, I think I have 50 empty 1 gallon jugs from buying water, lol.
What kind are they? Is it pretty simple to setup?

I believe the brand I have is Hydro logic. It has a sediment and a filter cartridge on the vertical cylinders and the horizontal one is the reverse osmosis unit. They say they’re rated at 150 gallons a day but I wouldn’t hold my breath on any more than 50.

I believe the brand I have is Hydro logic. It has a sediment and a filter cartridge on the vertical cylinders and the horizontal one is the reverse osmosis unit. They say they’re rated at 150 gallons a day but I wouldn’t hold my breath on any more than 50.
Ill take you up on that bud. Thank you.

A free RO system sounds like a nice gift from boo. I use my water out of the tap. Town water that the town here treats. I don’t check pH or PPM. I just let it sit out in a 5 gallon bucket for a day or so to let the chlorine evaporate though I haven’t even been doing that with the small plants I have right now. Disclaimer:I am not really growing at the moment so I don’t really care if these plants thrive. My water must be pretty consistent and I don’t think that is all that common. A lot of folks on here had problems last summer with pH swings. My understanding of tap water is that the pH out of the tap can vary depending on the aquifer environment. If the aquifer is in limestone, the pH will be high and in drought conditions, the pH will be higher(less water dilutes the lime less I am guessing). Most water treatment facilities adjust pH to some degree. Some areas try to keep the pH high because it is better for the pipes(I believe acidic water degrades the pipes so they last longer with a higher pH). There is also the possibility that the water treatment facility screws up(someone presses the wrong button or adds too much of the pH adjustment chemical and the water goes high or low). I think I have been lucky. Also, if your water treatment facility uses chloramine instead of chlorine, it won’t evaporate(which is why some places use it-they don’t have to worry about treating it to kill microbes as much). I don’t think chlorine or chloramine is as big a concern if you are not growing organically since your plants are not using the microherd to chelate the nutrients. I have grown organically for the most part in the past which is why I stopped checking pH years ago. I am using Advanced Nutrients pH perfect right now(which has pH buffers in it to keep the pH ‘perfect’ I guess). So after all that blah-blah-blah, a gifted RO system sounds like a great option. As hippie said, you will be adding back in stuff your plants need but will give you greater control over the nutrient mix. I just grow for me and my friends and family so I am not as concerned for yields as I am for quality(and that is really only my concern since beggars can’t be choosers). If you are growing for others, consistent yields will be a bigger concern. Apologies for the long winded post. It is early and the wife is asleep so I have nothing better to do…

I am tired of having to bring home gallons of purified water and then discarding of the plastic containers. I have city tap water at 200 ppm and a ph of 6.6. I just want something I can attach to under my sink or even something more simple. i am no plumber, but am handy. Any insight would be great. Thank you.
My water is purer than bottled water. I have a reverse osmosis setup for my whole house. It is pretty much care-free, but the initial expense was a bunch.

But if you only want RO water from one tap, it ain't too bad at all.

"Point of use systems can cost anywhere from $150 to $1,500 depending on the type (countertop, under-sink with tank or tankless) and the complexity of installation."

https://www.waterdropfilter.com/pro...tm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA - G2&utm_content=G2

I have a big trash can i keep filled with water. I let it set at least 24 hrs. I use that water to water everything and it works awesome. I have had no problems.
The good thing about the big trash can is i can use it a few days before i have to refill.

Yup, hydro logic. And I get about 2 gal/ hr. If you have bad water I recommend it.

Latest posts

Back