incadesent no more!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spuds_mckinsey

Reaction score
finally got up enought money to get a new light setup and have 2 questions. first would the 400w hps grow light econowing reflector ss10 ballast be enough lighting for a box 4ft high x 2.5wide x 4.5long. and second question what is a good way to support the stem without damaging the roots (is it safe to stick straw in pot and tie string around it loosely). thanx for ur help

hi ya spuds..welcome to MP
...what you are shooting for is 50 watts per sq ft. You are real close, close enuff. BUT with only 4' of clearance, once your light is hung in there + pot heighth, "IMHO" it will be cramped. (2.5 ft growing space,max) Without a "cool tube", heat is going to be an issue. You are going to require some serious flow thru ventilation and some serious training.
Congrats on the 'upgrade', to HID..:)

i can adjust the top of the box to another foot or so higher but dont want to cut back on watt per sq foot. could i stick some floro's in there if im stuck rasing the top of the box and would they really make that much of a difference. i think i have a pretty good vent system so heat shouldnt be a problem. i want to grow the plant to about 2 ft( 2 of them for now, just some personal) and last but not least are cool bulbs good for flowering

a foot of heighth would be a huge improvement.."IMO". Your watts p/s/f is almost perfect, no need to sacrifice there. By adding heighth, you aren't ading any additional sq.ft., only cubic feet(irrelevant) "I'm"..not a big advocate of added flou's. Why?..because inorder t get them close enough to benefit the plants, you usually end up blocking/shadeing the more beneficial HID.
Good ventilation needs to keep your temps in the 70-80 F range for optimal benefits.

Latest posts

Back