Indoor Growing Safety

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outdoorsman101

Reaction score
I just read an article about how police actively ask for customer's utility bills from the utility company and use that information as enough proof to search a house.... from the article:

"Police seek utility data for homes of marijuana-growing suspects -
At least 60 subpoenas (side note - that's a lot!!!!) are filed each month across the state seeking customers' energy-use records from American Electric Power and other utilities"

"The utility, while sensitive to its customers' expectation of privacy, is compelled by law to provide information about electricity use, Flora said. "We're obligated when we get these requests. There's not an option to say no."

This may be pretty common knowledge amongst growers that this is possible, but it scares the hell out of me. I've also heard of the police using an infared camera at night time w/ a helicopter and can pick out the grow houses because they are glowing like a Christmas tree. Anyone heard of that?

I'm looking into getting back into indoor growing again and want to be beyond safe. Is there any merit to being scared for these reasons or am I being paranoid?

I have never ever heard one credible, verifiable story about anyone getting busted because of their electricity bill. First the police need to have probably cause to get a search warrant. Ditto using infrared. If they have sufficient evidence to get a warrant, then something else (usually loose lips) have tipped the police that there is a growing operation going on. The utility bill would simply be icing on the cake--not the root reason for the bust.

This is so far down my list of worries as to be virtually non-existent. Somewhere below getting attacked by bigfoot. Small growers do not get busted because of their power bills. Police cannot simply "ask" for the power bill--it does take a warrant. A warrant takes probable cause. Relax. Make sure that you tell no one, that you clean up growing debris. that you control odor, etc, etc.

Just don't mess with him.:fly:

Mi Amigo's,

My electric bill has averaged $200. for 20 years.
With a 400w for flowering, a 150w and a 125w florescent for vegging and cloning, the increase isn't noticeable. I live alone and this set up is enough but...
Does what 'The Hemp Goddess' said mean that I can buy a 600w?

Thank you...

The Poet...

Mi Amigo's,

My electric bill has averaged $200. for 20 years.
With a 400w for flowering, a 150w and a 125w florescent for vegging and cloning, the increase isn't noticeable. I live alone and this set up is enough but...
Does what 'The Hemp Goddess' said mean that I can buy a 600w?

Thank you...

The Poet...

If you can afford it, yes. If increased power consumption is a concern, that will be negligible and really, if you pay your bill, the electric company does not care, they are, after all, in the business of selling power. There could be tons of reasons for that kind of power usage--a large family, electric heaters, A/C, hot tub, welder, etc. I also live alone and also have about a $200 power bill. I am running a 1000W HPS, a 400W MH, a 288W T5, a 216W T5, and various fans and pumps. And I have been known to kick an electric space heater on in the winter.

I am running almost 6k in lights just for the grow and I am not worried one bit. Don't steal the electricity and pay your bill on time and you're good to go. My average power bill is $450.00 to $500.00.

Latest posts

Back