indoor questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KSCsmoker

whos got the herb?
Reaction score
HI KSCsmoker here and im new to the site. It has already been helpful and plan on giving and recieving more advice. I have grown a few times with moderate sucess but now i finally have some more room to work with. I've worked with AK-47, Skunk 1, and Bagseeds. I am currently growing some white widow.

My questions are

1. I have 14 ww plants, topped two nights ago that are in about their 4-5 week of veg under a 400 watt MH; they are all potted in solo cups. Is this sufficient lighting for them all. (Also i realized i need to replant into bigger pots and i have another 400 watt light too hook up if needed)

2. I used some 5-1-1 fish emolusion nutes at 1/4 strenght even though they all seemed to be happy. Was this a mistake and what other nutes maybe helpful?

3. Can anyone recommend a good soil mixture for veg and flowering i cant seems to ever make a good one. Mixtures i have worm castings, bat guano, blood meal, bone meal, vermiculite, perilite, and peat moss.

Thank you much

ONE------- KSCsmoker

One of the most popular mixtures (and the one I use) is 1/1/1 ratio of soil/perlite/vermiculite, I sometimes add a lil more soil/peat depending on if i'm running out of perlite/vermiculite and dont feel like running to the store to get more. The roots love it, crawls through right good and easy.

this means Keep It Simple Stupid. no offense - its what it is, dont go overboard. i use pro mix soil and worm castings. your only doing 1 grow then ya discard the soil. maximum 13 weeks. this irish?

thank you KADE and astra, i know i should keep it simple but im always looking for some way to make my girls happier and healthier, not this is not irish by the way, i want to thank you guys or girls for the help and will keep you updated on how everything is going

ONE-----KSCsmoker

if your plants are 4 to 5 weeks into vegg i would go ahead and add full strenth fish emulsions . just do yourself a favor and pinch your nose .

Another question, when i go into flowering what size pots should be used and what is an efficient way to keep the smell down in my closet?

ONE------KSCsmoker

Bigger the pot the better. IMO. I'd say at least a 5-gallon pot. That way your not having to transplant during flower.
There are several ways you can keep Odor down. 1 would be to build or buy an activated carbon filter system. but to buy one is pricy for the equipment needed.
Building one is very easy and not very expensive. Some duct work, inline fan, and bag of carbon. Do a little searching there are tons of DIY online to show how to make one. ;)
Or purchase an ionizer or other type of cleaner. IMHO Carbon is the best, but know of people on the board using Ionizers and Ozone Generators with great success.

astra007 said:
this means Keep It Simple Stupid. no offense - its what it is, dont go overboard. i use pro mix soil and worm castings. your only doing 1 grow then ya discard the soil. maximum 13 weeks. this irish?

haha I thought so too. same setup....and solo cups.

Thanks a lot Mutt im gonna use the DIY method, i hate to be annoying but i have a question about the pots. How many 5 gallon pot can 800 watts of HPS support? Also will their be a difference in yield in the WW if i were to leave them in 2 gallon pots or if put them in 5 gallons. I want to say thanks to everyone who has responded to my rookie question but i am truly grateful for this site and especially the help of all you guys and girls

ONE-------KSCsmoker

Well u can learn from your mistakes or ours! It is cheaper to take others knowledge. They will grow bigger in 5 gallon pots I'm not sure of the actual amount that will fit under the light. 5 gallon pots unfortunately dont fit together too well. I know under a 1000watt hps 16 plants planted 1 foot apart works well. So i'm assuming 12 would be ok under the 800... assuming you can fit them all under the reflector. 9 would fit very well I would think.

i recomment a maximum of 10 plants. females for flower under 800w but all are ok for veg. 2 gal. pots are ok from start to finish; say 21 days veg and 56 days flower = 11 weeks total. you will pick up maybe 10% more by going to 3 gallon pots but have to raise yer lights to cover the grow.

^^^ there ya go... i dunno the whole ''pot'' thing... aero/hydro yes.. pots no

yes kade but yer advise is top notch. wish i had more experience with hydro but no supply hereabouts for this type of grow.

Thanks astra, im loving this site. KADE i would love to know more about aero i have always been intrigued by it but could just never understand it. Is it really the way to grow like i have heard from some of my buds (no pun intended). KEEP IT GREEN!!!!!

ONE------KSCsmoker

you can use 5 gallon buckets instead of pots . and 1 reason being like mutt mentioned bigger is better in many factors , transplanting shock, height and mass of plants, (marijuana grown outdoors in natural enviroment grow deep and wide for that reason) also waterings ,once a plant become rootbound that is as big as it is going to get . 2 ft height per gallon but you will want large enough branches and base to support your height. another thing would be more frequant waterings . once a plant has become rootbound and nowhere to go the thousands of little roots seem to want to **** dry on a daily basis.

my bad you will want large enough branches to support your buds .

Well KSC, not too much to aero compared to any other kind of hydro system, it is almost exactly the same as a deep water culture hydro system really. The roots in aeroponics are suspended in the air just like a DWC system and are normally sprayed/misted with water on a continuous basis, the water drains back into the reservoir they sprayed back on just like hydro. Eventually the roots grow long enough that if the drains r not screened they will grow right into the watersupply. Or at least retain water in the aeroponics tables. Which is why it reminds me of a deep water culture system.
Aeroponics allows the plant to get as much oxygen to the roots as possible. But if the plants haven't grown down to hold the water or into the reservoir and the power decides to go off for a little while, those roots are drying up and the plants are dying. Which is why I like DWC systems a lil better. Ya never know when the snow may fly and power might go off for an hour or so above the ole border.

In 1.5 gallon pots in veg how often do the plants need to be watered? Im asking this because my plants are starting to wilt a bit they have been watered everyother day and only fed once with fish emulsion nutes. I guess my real question is, is it overwatered or did i use too much ferts the first time; i only did quater strenght of what it recomended on the bottle.

ONE-------KSCsmoker

pick yer pots up and judge the weight. thats the easy way. depends on how hot yer room is? or stick yer "pinky" in and go down 2"; if its dry ya need more water. you want them wet but not soaked or dried out.

Latest posts

Back