infer red?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found this.

Plants cannot make use of infrared light for photosynthesis because they lack a pigment which can harvest light with that wavelength. The major plant pigments used to harvest light for photosynthesis absorb light energy from the visible range of the electromagnetic spectrum

Last edited by a moderator:
from When Reds & Blues Collide: Understanding Light-Related Plant Physiology

Far-red light between 730 and 770 nm also plays an important role in plant development. Increased amounts of far-red light typically indicate a shaded environment. Phytochromes give the plant a way to sense relative ratios of red and far-red light. When this shading effect is detected, physiological changes are triggered that lead to the stretching of plant leaves and stems. This behavior evolved to enable plants to reach above their neighbors competing with them for light, offering the tallest plants the advantage of unshaded lighting.

from When Reds & Blues Collide: Understanding Light-Related Plant Physiology

Far-red light between 730 and 770 nm also plays an important role in plant development. Increased amounts of far-red light typically indicate a shaded environment. Phytochromes give the plant a way to sense relative ratios of red and far-red light. When this shading effect is detected, physiological changes are triggered that lead to the stretching of plant leaves and stems. This behavior evolved to enable plants to reach above their neighbors competing with them for light, offering the tallest plants the advantage of unshaded lighting.
sooooo? is far red good or bad? sounds bad,..i find your post informative but confusing!

Read the article. It says a lot of led manufacturers are incorporating ir LEDs. The theory I have read is it help trigger flowering. If me of my LEDs has an ir led in it and it has worked for me. Sorry. This forum has become pretty lousy. Growing cannabis or good cannabis to be more precise takes a lot of study, good genetics, a lot of care and attention to detail. Infrared ‘light’ is sensed as heat. The sun emits a lot of that. The goal with indoor growing is to mimic the sun with lighting so the plant grows like it would under sunlight.

This forum is solid - great advise all over

Latest posts

Back