Infused Maltodextrin / infused hot chocolate powder

gmo

Ganja Farmer
Bud of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Whoa!

My wife really enjoys a hot chocolate powder mix that we get at the dispensary. The product is 100mg/bottle and there are 2 servings per bottle (50mg/each). It's a good product, but gets expensive @ $14 each. She drinks a cup of it 3-4 night's a week to help her sleep.

I tasked myself with recreating it and I think I nailed it. We tried it last night and it is definitely potent and a very quality replacement!

20g decarboxylated flower
2tbsp sunflower lecithin
8oz coconut oil (liquid)
4 cups maltodextrin
64 packs hot chocolate powder mix

Start by decarbing flower for 30 minutes at 250f.
Add decarbed flower, sunflower lecithin and coconut oil to magical butter machine for a 2hr cycle at 160f
Strain flower out of oil
Add 8oz oil to 4 cups of maltodextrin and whisk to combine
Sift mixture through a flour sifter and add to 64 packs of hot chocolate powder. Whisk thoroughly to combine.
Store in jars.

My math, assuming 20% starting potency:
20g x 200mg = 4000mg
Assume 15% loss = 3400mg
16tbsp in 8 ounces of oil = 212.5mg/TBSP
1TBSP oil to 4TBSP maltodextrin = 53.125mg/TBSP maltodextrin
4cups maltodextrin = 64 TBSP
1TBSP infused maltodexetrin to 1 packet hot chocolate mix = 53.125mg strength per serving

The maltodextrin is flavorless and should be able to be added to anything. It imparted 0 taste/texture to the final hot chocolate mix. This is probably my favorite edible that I've ever made!

oldfogey8

Very grouchy and ornery today…
Reaction score
This is Alton Brown level cannabis Good Eats!

Reactions: gmo

SubmarineGirl

Reaction score
Whoa!

My wife really enjoys a hot chocolate powder mix that we get at the dispensary. The product is 100mg/bottle and there are 2 servings per bottle (50mg/each). It's a good product, but gets expensive @ $14 each. She drinks a cup of it 3-4 night's a week to help her sleep.

I tasked myself with recreating it and I think I nailed it. We tried it last night and it is definitely potent and a very quality replacement!

20g decarboxylated flower
2tbsp sunflower lecithin
8oz coconut oil (liquid)
4 cups maltodextrin
64 packs hot chocolate powder mix

Start by decarbing flower for 30 minutes at 250f.
Add decarbed flower, sunflower lecithin and coconut oil to magical butter machine for a 2hr cycle at 160f
Strain flower out of oil
Add 8oz oil to 4 cups of maltodextrin and whisk to combine
Sift mixture through a flour sifter and add to 64 packs of hot chocolate powder. Whisk thoroughly to combine.
Store in jars.

My math, assuming 20% starting potency:
20g x 200mg = 4000mg
Assume 15% loss = 3400mg
16tbsp in 8 ounces of oil = 212.5mg/TBSP
1TBSP oil to 4TBSP maltodextrin = 53.125mg/TBSP maltodextrin
4cups maltodextrin = 64 TBSP
1TBSP infused maltodexetrin to 1 packet hot chocolate mix = 53.125mg strength per serving

The maltodextrin is flavorless and should be able to be added to anything. It imparted 0 taste/texture to the final hot chocolate mix. This is probably my favorite edible that I've ever made!
Sounds like a good winter thing my girls would like. Always looking for something different. Guess I will have to go in one of those stores I have no idea what the sell

gmo

Ganja Farmer
Bud of the Month Winner
Reaction score
A brewery supply store, or Amazon will sell maltodextrin by the pound.

SubmarineGirl

Reaction score
A brewery supply store, or Amazon will sell maltodextrin by the pound.
What is the purpose of adding the maltodextrin? A preservative perhaps? Wouldn’t the 67 packs of cocoa mix already have something like this in it?

gmo

Ganja Farmer
Bud of the Month Winner
Reaction score
The oil binds to the maltodexetrin and doesn't clump. Adding the oil directly to the cocoa mix results in a gooey, sticky, clumpy mess.

gmo

Ganja Farmer
Bud of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Twinkie recipe next?

You could literally dust the Twinkies with the maltodextrin powder and I don't think it would alter the flavor, texture or appearance of the cake...1/4tbsp of the powder dusted on a package of 2 cakes would yield an individual cake dosage of ~25mg.

Latest posts