Inside/Outside growing with halogens

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just started my first crop, yesterday, the first seedling sprouted up. I am using two halogen heat lamps at 140 watts a piece to grow, one red, one white. I'm getting around 5600 lumens for the two plants at a 90 degree angle. Electricity is not a concern.

I started the plants in large grow mediums with miracle grow. Also, I mixed extra perlite in with the fertilizer. Will I have enough light and light spectrum to maintain and grow fruitasious buds?

Sorry to be the one that has to be an *** hole but two problems, one halegen lamps are no good at all for growing marijuana or any plant, two marical grow is the worst fertalizer to use as it make ur soil alkaline (which makes ur ph at like 7.5- 8) and the marijuana is more of a acid loving plant (with ph being like 5.6-7.
Try to get a high pressure sodium light (hps) or metal halide(mh).
If u cant get that u can use compact floresents(cfl) them little swerly lights, and go to a plant store to find some different nutes. sorry if its sound like im talkin **** but i'm just learnin ya somethin! Any ?'s just ask and i and everyone else on this web site can help u produce some plants like mine!

DSC01110.JPG

DSC01118.JPG

DSC01101.JPG

DSC01062.JPG

Halogens are the worse lights possible to use for growing herb.

i agree w the halogens being bad but ive allways potted in miricle gro media and it kicks *** for weed look around this site i think the grunts might use it too!

lefty said:
i agree w the halogens being bad but ive allways potted in miricle gro media and it kicks *** for weed look around this site i think the grunts might use it too!

For someone that doesn't have time to look after them too closely the miracle grow soil would be good... having its own nutes... the trouble is you can't control the dosage...

i have yet to see a seedling make it in prefertilized soil that isnt softened with potting soil.

straight pre fertilized soil has always burned seedlings in my experiences. NEVER has it shown superiorness to me, or anyone i have stumbled across.

seedlings need little additional food when they are in there first weeks, and thirve mostly on the oxygen and co2 in the soil.

just keep that in mind if you see any browning

I once used a halogen for veg and grew one of the biggest plants i've ever grown. If you can get the heat down(which is difficult with halogen, they're hot, I used an air conditioner) I think you would be okay with halogen. The problem with halogen is the heat, not spectrum. A high pressure sodium is the only way to go during flowering if you want monster buds though!

I think throwing the halogen in the garbage and buying pretty much anything else would be more beneficial to the plants.

ob1kinsmokey said:
i have yet to see a seedling make it in prefertilized soil that isnt softened with potting soil.

straight pre fertilized soil has always burned seedlings in my experiences. NEVER has it shown superiorness to me, or anyone i have stumbled across.

seedlings need little additional food when they are in there first weeks, and thirve mostly on the oxygen and co2 in the soil.

just keep that in mind if you see any browning
Well here we go. All our plants are started, and finished in straight MG potting mix (that feeds plants up to 3 months). Here are a few pics of some babies in MG soil. What do you think? You can also look around and see some of our killer bud pics. ;) :p :D

000_0211.jpg

000_0218.jpg

000_0287.jpg

000_0205.jpg

The Grunt's have had exceptional success useing Miracle Grow, but the facts are...Probably 80% of the ppl that attempt a grow with it, have issues. THAT is why it is seldom recommended.
NOT to be dissing the Brother's in any manner...I'm consistantly impressed with their journals and consider them one of the top growers onboard here. BUT...it will be only as a last resort that "I" ever put a plant in MG soil, or use their fertilizers..

...Similar with halogens. Occasionally someone will experience some success and question/argue/debate the virtues of uva/uvb spectrum...but again, "FACTS" dispute it being a "good/proper" spectrum for growing mj. Probably why they are seldom recommended also.
"IMHO"...Tried and true methods, equiptment, and products are usually recommended for a reason.

Hick said:
The Grunt's have had exceptional success useing Miracle Grow, but the facts are...Probably 80% of the ppl that attempt a grow with it, have issues. THAT is why it is seldom recommended.
NOT to be dissing the Brother's in any manner...I'm consistantly impressed with their journals and consider them one of the top growers onboard here. BUT...it will be only as a last resort that "I" ever put a plant in MG soil, or use their fertilizers..

...Similar with halogens. Occasionally someone will experience some success and question/argue/debate the virtues of uva/uvb spectrum...but again, "FACTS" dispute it being a "good/proper" spectrum for growing mj. Probably why they are seldom recommended also.
"IMHO"...Tried and true methods, equiptment, and products are usually recommended for a reason.

Good lil read... facts are better then fiction and myths. I hate the "I can tell if it is male/female by looking at how the leaves cross" myth too.

ive had them start and fin in m-gro potting soil and never had them burn! or die for that matter! i use the potting soil!:afroweed:

im speechless. I had heard you guys have gone all out with mg soil- everytime i tried it my little ones would just burn. i couldnt figure it out until i started using different soil.

do you use any kind of buffer, or softener TBG? or do you always use straight MG?

I am going to try the mg i got a mix of sand, Potting soil and compost with prelite..

ob1kinsmokey said:
im speechless. I had heard you guys have gone all out with mg soil- everytime i tried it my little ones would just burn. i couldnt figure it out until i started using different soil.

do you use any kind of buffer, or softener TBG? or do you always use straight MG?
The only thing we add to the soil is perlite. To a 1 gallon pot we add about 8 oz. of perlite mixed in real good.

Latest posts

Back