Internodes Spacing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jchesmore722

Reaction score

Ok ive got a few questions about internode spacing.
I know that indicas are supposed to be bushy(tighter spacing) and sativa taller….
Ive also heard that using mh lighting for veg makes a bushier plant while hps makes them stretch more….BUT

Which has more of an impact on node spacing, genetics(ie. Indica vs. sativa) or light type(ie. MH vs. HPS)???

Basically im just wondering if my HPS light is going to make my K2(indica) stretch???

Also, I was wondering if topping or fimming have an impact on node spacing??? Or do they just bush out the plant?

I know that it makes them grow multiple tops but I have no idea about its effect on node spacing.

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Preferably someone with experience of growing an indica strain with an HPS light.

first off, welcome to the site.:) .
i grow indicas only, inside. i do not use a mh lamp. i veg under cfls' for around 3 weeks, then throw the hps on 'em. most indicas i grow get no bigger than 2 foot. i keep them this short by pinching.(lst). if your k2 begins to stretch under the hps, start pinching to slow it's growth. after doing this, let it heal for a week, then do it again. i usually wait 3.5 weeks to begin this process. i never top my indicas, so i don't know 'bout that...bb...

internode spacing is a genetic thing, but can be manipulated by lst or topping.

internode spacing also can be due to poor lighting or the light is too far from the canopy,causing stretch.the plants are reaching for the light,if too far away

can the opposite of "too little light, too far spacing" be true? If you pack a ton of lumens right on a plant(w/out burning it of course) does the internode spacing get consistenly shorter, or do the genetics of the plant set a limit as to minimal internode spacing achievable?

you want tight internode spacing.it makes for a sturdier and denser plant.as far too much light,i would not think you could make the plant something it is not.just a nice fat girl,with tight nodes.

I saw some shorter internodal spacing with an experiment that I tried. Using the same clones, I vegged using cfl's, leds, and T5 fluoros. The leds had the shortest internodal spacing. ( could be related to heat or closeness of light). But thats what I found. So my answer to your question would be I really don't know. Not sure if anyone has all the answers.

Quantity of lumens is the thing, IMO. I can get sativas with very short internodes if I put enough light on them. I think it is by far the biggest variable for that. I use HPS and some CFL for veg as well as flower and they grow just fine.

Latest posts

Back