Introducing myself...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mudpie

...the bi-polar grower
Reaction score
Howdy!

I finally got up the balls to register for the forum, been a long time troll (is that the right word?) now I'm a registered member! :)

So this is my second grow ever -- my first (just babysitting my neighbors plants as they had many people in and out of their home) that encouraged me to go for it on my own...

Learned a few things recently...my girls are all in various states of growth (I'm a seed saver so whatever happens happens...)

My darling "Alice" was started in July outside, where she filled out nicely, along with "Anne" (but Annie got broken in a windstorm and with the help of rooting hormone and fingers crossed she recovered, but is significantly behind Alice.) Both are on daylight in the greenhouse, and filling out well. Alice is a known quantity, she is Super Lemon Haze, and I did not know until research that she is the kind of plant that takes a good chunk of time to mature. Anne is of unknown origin other than being from Ann Arbor...

I've been cloning with the help of the aerogarden and rooting hormone, which again has been trial and error, and so far have two good daughters of Alice and just started a daughter of Annie...depressed that the aerogarden failed over the holiday and two other daughters of Alice are now deceased (hate to think I have to stay home all the time to remain on top of everything...) then again it really is a "grande science project" at this point.

My other gal-pals are currently under 12-12 3200K light (ordinary shop light with 4 bulbs...) I am hesitant to invest in proper lighting (yet)...so I wonder will this be good enough for the winter and until spring and I can transport them to the greenhouse/outside (so far I prefer growing outside despite the huge risk). They are getting Magnesium, Calcium, Nitrogen etc once a week (as well as water - I slightly stress the plants because I was told by a grower that this increases the THC - is he right or is that horseshit???)

I was told by another grower that I need to get some bat guano - again is he right? I have conflicting info because one grower pal is 100% outside and the other is 100% inside. I'm trying to do both for year round yields and climate...

(call me the bi-polar grower I suppose...)

Real glad to be here and very happy to now be participating!

Thanks for reading and hope to hear from you!!!

Cheers
Mudpie

You will get some bud with shop lights but my guess is you will have a hard time getting enough lumens per foot to have much success. HO T5 lights would be the only floro lights i would ever even try to use for flower in a pinch. As for Bat Guano...unless you are growing organic I would stick to an easy to use Nutrient system. I use General Hydroponics 3 part series. It is cheap and easy to use. We have plenty of Organic growers if that is the way you want to go. I just don't recommend mixing the two. Organic growing needs a healthy Micro Herd, chemical nutrients tend to kill said needed micro herd.

Welcome to MP....

Hiya Hamster!

yes, organic is a must!!!

What of those lights you speak of? Will they fit in the fixture I currently posses? That's the main thing for the winter is to utilize what I have till they can go out again.

I hope this attachment thing worked, in case anyone was interested...
Alice top pix, Annie bottom.

View attachment IMG_2600[1].jpg

View attachment IMG_2601[2].jpg

I don't believe they can be used with other ballasts. They output 5000 lumen per bulb in the 4 foot format. You really need 5000 lumens per square foot mof grow space in Flower to get a fair harvest. So the smaller your space the less lumens needed, but unfortunately MJ likes to get big. So training methods need to be employed.

IMO, the shop lights will not be nearly enough light--I also recommend a T5 at the very least. You do need a fixture meant for T5 bulbs. It will be worth the investment if you want to keep plants going over the winter. I would ditch the aerogarden for cloning--either build your own bubble cloner or just stick the cutting in medium.

Plant's THC is NOT increased by stress. This is an old wives tale that I didn't think ANYONE believed in still. People used to do things like drive spikes through the stems because they believed that stressing was good--we have since learned that this and similar practices are NOT beneficial. The healthiest, most potent, largest plants are created by a stress-free environment...or at least as low stress as we can manage--sometimes they do need a little harsh training to keep them the size and shape we need them, but we do nothing like this in flowering--happy plants are dank plants.

Bat guano is simply an organic nutrient. Whether you NEED it or not, only you can determine. It is not like it is a kind of necessary thing, like lime or perlite, which I consider essential to a good soil mixture.

I really recommend more better light to take these through winter. Put the clones under the shop light and look for a high output T5 fixture for flowering. You will want a tube fixture that is 4' long with at least 4 54W 5000 lumen bulbs. You do get out of this hobby what you put into it.....

:welcome: to MP!!

Hamster and THG will help you get the most from your garden!;)

Latest posts

Back