Is blood a safe fertilizer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YYZ Skinhead

RIP Neil Peart 9/12/1952 -- 1/7/2020
Reaction score
I vaguely recall reading in High Times (and possibly Cannabis Culture) during the 1990s bovine spongiform encephalopathy hype, that quite a few growers became afraid to use blood meal and blood-based organic ferts. Nowadays would you use a blood-based fertilizer if you weren't aware of the source (even if you were aware of the source, for that matter)? I used to use Pure Blend, which had blood in it, but I dunno if I would still use it.

The American Rose Society stopped using blood and bone meal about 10 years ago. Pathogens and Mad Cow were the reasons.

I don't know this to be correct but I would think that the chelation process in organic setups would remove the animal bourn pathogens from the material so that it wouldn't be drawn into the plant. Also, considering that the animal pathogens don't generally cross over to infect or be carried by plants and vice versa, I wouldn't think it should be a problem, unless the material was sprayed onto the plant and then the plant material ingested. However I could be quite wrong :confused2:

I think it has to do with improper usage, like breathing in the dust of the blood meal when you are applying it. Since roses are not edible i think it is a concern about either getting cut with a thorn and getting sick or things or like i said ingesting it. I can't remember if someone actually got sick and so the ARS came out with that or not... I agree with you Hushpuppy that the good organic soil would kill those.

I use blood and bone meal in my soil and some teas.
Did read some of the scare of crossover, which I think is rubbish, if used properly.
I do not snort it, nor am I mad. :)

I also use blood mean and bone meal with my organic stuff. Dangers from using this is so far down my concern list as to be non-existent. I do not snort it either, but I think I may be mad.....but it doesn't have anything to do with cows.

Snorting blood meal hahaha you all are missing out :) blood meal is just that blood used from animals from rendering plants , butchers etc blood meal is a Nitrogen amendment and should be used cautiously...
To much can harm plant being as it is a very concentrated form of nitrogen. Too much nitrogen in the soil can, at best, keep the plants from flowering or fruiting and, at worst, “burn” the plants and possibly kill them.
Also keep in mind blood meal l can also help raise the acid level of your soil, which is beneficial to some kinds of plants that prefer soils with low pH (acidic soil).
Down fall from using blood meal is uninvited pests being blood is main ingredient if using this outdoor your going to attract meat eating carnivores .

I use blood meal in my outdoor veggy gardens, live in the mountains and never have problems with carnivores in my gardens, even though they abound in the area. Can't explain why one person would have problems and not someone else, but it hasn't been a problem for me at all.

Latest posts

Back