Is it Mildew

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hushpuppy

Dr MadBud
Reaction score
Hey guys, I need some opinions on some bud that I have. I grew out some called BlueHell from Medical seeds. The smoke is really good but I have with what smells like mildew. So I had some drying in my drying cabinet, took it out when I thought it was dry enough and put it in the jars to cure. I started burping the jars like normal but I always smell my bud when I burp the jars, then I wave the jars around to get some air to circulate into the jars.

When I smelled these, I got a whiff of faint smelly socks or mildew. I imediately poured out the contents of 6 jars(a good 6oz) and went through the buds looking for mildew but couldn't find any. I left the buds open to dry for a couple days but could still smell a faint mildewy odor. I jarred them up again and have kept them for a couple weeks in the jars, periodically opening and airing them. I took some to a buddy and he could also smell a faint mildew odor but couldn't find anything even after pulling several of the buds apart.

Do you think that they are ok to smoke or should I turn them into BHO?

Run a long wave ultraviolet light (blacklight) over them. Aspergillus flavus (as well as any mold or mildew for what it's worth) will flouresce (glow) bright greenish-yellow under the light. That will definitively tell you if there's mold present...
When using a black light, the room must be as dark as possible.

cool, I didn't know that. I will have to get one and try it out. I just had a friend that was willing to be the guinnea pig for me and he said everything was kosher accept a bit of not so great taste. But I will still get a black light and see if I can find anything.

Are the cheaper round black lights from Walmart true UV?

you'll want to find specifically a long wave true uv lights. Short wave UV can be dangerous and is primarily used for certain germicidal applications. Commecial grade will penetrate better and show smaller less noticeable affected areas...edit: specifically pet stores should have them, head shops (maybe), online (hxxp://www.blacklightworld.com or hxxp://www.budgetlighting.com/black_light_stain_detector.html) or even home depot or Lowes should have them. Can you provide a link to the walmart and I can tell you if it'll work? The operative words we're looking for here "long wave UV" or "True UV" but imo I believe any intense blacklight should work.

Hushpuppy said:
cool, I didn't know that. I will have to get one and try it out. I just had a friend that was willing to be the guinnea pig for me and he said everything was kosher accept a bit of not so great taste. But I will still get a black light and see if I can find anything.

Are the cheaper round black lights from Walmart true UV?

try to avoid the party BL's because they will pick up some but not all staining/molds

I don't have a link to the ones I was thinking of. I just remember seeing some there but I think they were probably the cheesy party lights. I will check your link and/or check the pet store. Thanks for the information brosef :)

Latest posts

Back