Is it possible?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gixxerman420

Broke-n-Tokin Tent Bonger
Reaction score
I was just curious if switching the light from 12/12 to 14/10 rather late (4-5 weeks) into flowering would have any affects to yield... I don't think it would revert with only 2 extra hours, but would it be beneficial? No growth occurs at night right? So it only makes since that more light without reveg= more buds? Just curious guys... What do you think!?

The 12/12 light schedule is where you will have the best THC production from everything I have read

Hey Gixx-

Some strains will flower with as little as 10 hours of darkness. Some need at least 11. Some may require the full 12, IDK. But I would rather be sure before making any changes.

If you're not sure, do you really want to risk it at this point?

It is not the extra hours of light that makes a difference, it is the less hours of dark. I would expect lower yields and/or other problems switching to a 14/10 light cycle.

BBFan said:
Hey Gixx-

Some strains will flower with as little as 10 hours of darkness. Some need at least 11. Some may require the full 12, IDK. But I would rather be sure before making any changes.

If you're not sure, do you really want to risk it at this point?
:yeahthat:

This will take working with the same strain for a bit to find out its 'critical dark' period.

Mine does fine with a 13/11 cycle and I'm fooling around with even more light and less dark. BUT!!! I'm doing this with clones and T-5's in a improvised flower area and not with the main crop. I've also been running this one strain for close to 2 years.

Experimenting is fine, just not with your main grow.

Wet

Wetdog said:
:yeahthat:

This will take working with the same strain for a bit to find out its 'critical dark' period.

Mine does fine with a 13/11 cycle and I'm fooling around with even more light and less dark. BUT!!! I'm doing this with clones and T-5's in a improvised flower area and not with the main crop. I've also been running this one strain for close to 2 years.

Experimenting is fine, just not with your main grow.

Wet
Well the "partner" already "experimented " with the whole main crop... He was seeing how quickly he could ruin someone else's hard work and money spent by tearing them up and flushing them; meanwhile feeding me an elaborate story about a DEA agent and how he gave him 24 hrs. to get everything out! I'm calling B-S!!! Paranoia is understandable; it's your house! Be a man and just say "I don't want to take this risk anymore, I'm ripping them up!" this guy practically raised me and preached values he himself won't uphold; kind of makes you question your upbringing!

It really sounds like the partner wanted out and couldn't find a way that suited both of you. Sounds like he tried, coming up with his sister moving in, you persisted and he caved, but the cop out front was the last straw. Now, he's afraid how you'll act and he tried to cover to keep the friendship...

Roddy said:
It really sounds like the partner wanted out and couldn't find a way that suited both of you. Sounds like he tried, coming up with his sister moving in, you persisted and he caved, but the cop out front was the last straw. Now, he's afraid how you'll act and he tried to cover to keep the friendship...
No see, I told him after the sister story that if he didn't want them there we'd scrap them! He said that wasn't it, just needed to avoid his sister finding out... I bet she never shows... Roddy, I get the strange feeling you're taking his side and blaming me here!

I don't care, I'm just telling it how I see it. Side? What side? I can't blame the guy for getting scared...not at all. I can't blame you for being mad, but I think maybe you're getting a bit more mad than the situation warrants....that's just mho. To me, if it bothered me, I'd ask the guy and get it all out instead of dwelling on it and letting it irk me more and more...if you're truly friends, work it out before you get too irked to.

Roddy said:
I don't care, I'm just telling it how I see it. Side? What side? I can't blame the guy for getting scared...not at all. I can't blame you for being mad, but I think maybe you're getting a bit more mad than the situation warrants....that's just mho. To me, if it bothered me, I'd ask the guy and get it all out instead of dwelling on it and letting it irk me more and more...if you're truly friends, work it out before you get too irked to.
:rofl: it's too late for that man! Thx though... I will be dropping hints to him, and if he decides to "man up" I might find it in my heart to forgive him... MAYBE!!!

Duuuuude that situation really sucks..I feel yer pain. The bad thing I see there is, if real bad blood develops between the two of you and yu have another grow started,,,he becomes a liability of knowledge that could end up in the wrong ears (even on accident). I say talk it out n get it strait b4 cuttin ties so that there's no incriminating suspicions left behind that could come back to byte yu some day, IMHO.

Hushpuppy said:
Duuuuude that situation really sucks..I feel yer pain. The bad thing I see there is, if real bad blood develops between the two of you and yu have another grow started,,,he becomes a liability of knowledge that could end up in the wrong ears (even on accident). I say talk it out n get it strait b4 cuttin ties so that there's no incriminating suspicions left behind that could come back to byte yu some day, IMHO.
I won't be growing again until I relocate and it's legal! Too much freaking stress around it! If I could have it here with me, I'd do it; but the :angrywife: won't have it! I guess needing medicine isn't valid unless you live in a medically accepted state. I'm having trouble with the wife trying to move; But I'm going once I obtain my degree; and the babies will be going with me (my daughters, 6 yrs, and 15 month old) so chances are she'll end up coming too! I'm hurting like h&ll right now and can't find anything... I'm so freaking tired of this place it's nauseating! Ever meet my buddy RRRAAALLPHPHPH!!!

The Hemp Goddess said:
It is not the extra hours of light that makes a difference, it is the less hours of dark. I would expect lower yields and/or other problems switching to a 14/10 light cycle.

I have to disagree with you THG because light destroys the hormones that the plant produces that cause them to flower in the first place. Plants produce enzymes all the time. The shortened days allows enough enzymes to build up to force the plant into flowering. Some plants produce more hormones than others and can get by with a longer light period but you would have to test out each strain as you go to see if you have one of those.

IMO, I would stick with 12/12 as that has been proven to be the best all around timing for the biggest bud production. Why mess with what works.

niteshft said:
I have to disagree with you THG because light destroys the enzymes that the plant produces that cause them to flower in the first place. Plants produce enzymes all the time. The shortened days allows enough enzymes to build up to force the plant into flowering. Some plants produce more enzymes than others and can get by with a longer light period but you would have to test out each strain as you go to see if you have one of those.

IMO, I would stick with 12/12 as that has been proven to be the best all around timing for the biggest bud production. Why mess with what works.

I think you misunderstood what I said--I am basically agreeing with you--shortening the dark period is bad.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I think you misunderstood what I said--I am basically agreeing with you--shortening the dark period is bad.

:eek: Sorry THG and I was corrected by BBFan that it isn't enzymes but hormones that is produced and stimulates the flowering.

well what about 24 hours of darkness, no soil, no water, and no plants!?

Okay, moving on... Moving on to low quality medicine at street prices... Moving on to substantial financial loss... Moving on to converting my anger to constructive energy.... You can too by supporting legislation for medical marijuana in NC at hxxp://www.mpp.org/states/north-carolina/alerts/medical-marijuana-legislation.html Show your support for medical patients in need! Support H 577!!!

so are you really asking about the light cycle or did you just want to vent?
I just started a thread its still on the first page right now, about switching up the flowering photoperiod. there are some good responses in there you could look at.

teddy d said:
so are you really asking about the light cycle or did you just want to vent?
I just started a thread its still on the first page right now, about switching up the flowering photoperiod. there are some good responses in there you could look at.
I was actually asking about the light cycle... But then had a catastrophe occur... My second response was a vent session! :rofl: I'm okay now; C'est la vie, la vie!

Latest posts

Back