is OZONE the answer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe420Camel

friendly stranger
Reaction score

I grow out of a DIY grow cabinet that sucks ALL the air through a Phresh 4x20" carbon filter.

No matter what anybody says, I (and the wife) can still smell it.
Sure its only 1 or 2% of the possible smell but its still there.

Ive tried sprayers on timers, odor absorbing sprays, solids, etc etc.
Sure they can mask it but NOTHING gets rid of it...

I knew ozone generators were used in large(r) grows and never gave it much more thought as I have 1 plant in flower @ a time... surely I woun't need it.
1 year passes...

I NEVER thought I could would be able to kill off that last 1-2% of the smell, well, this little ($40) thing can and does!
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/AAP-50-Plug--Adjustable-Purifier/dp/B007Y9RBX4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427337410&sr=8-1&keywords=AAP+50+Plug-In+Adjustable+Ionic+Air+Purifier[/ame]

Does anyone else use these?
Any thoughts or comments or experience with these devices?

It's on LOW, crammed between the wall and my cabinet, right below the OUT vent from the fan... LOTS of air flow!
:48:

View attachment PICT1262.jpg

View attachment PICT1263.jpg

View attachment PICT1052.jpg

Never used one carbon seems to work for me just be carefull with it from what ive read it can be bad for your lungs heres a clip of it

What is Ozone?

Ozone is a molecule composed of three atoms of oxygen. Two atoms of oxygen form the basic oxygen molecule--the oxygen we breathe that is essential to life. The third oxygen atom can detach from the ozone molecule, and re-attach to molecules of other substances, thereby altering their chemical composition. It is this ability to react with other substances that forms the basis of manufacturers’ claims.

Top of page

How is Ozone Harmful?

The same chemical properties that allow high concentrations of ozone to react with organic material outside the body give it the ability to react with similar organic material that makes up the body, and potentially cause harmful health consequences. When inhaled, ozone can damage the lungs (see - "Ozone and Your Health"). Relatively low amounts can cause chest pain, coughing, shortness of breath, and, throat irritation. Ozone may also worsen chronic respiratory diseases such as asthma and compromise the ability of the body to fight respiratory infections. People vary widely in their susceptibility to ozone. Healthy people, as well as those with respiratory difficulty, can experience breathing problems when exposed to ozone. Exercise during exposure to ozone causes a greater amount of ozone to be inhaled, and increases the risk of harmful respiratory effects. Recovery from the harmful effects can occur following short-term exposure to low levels of ozone, but health effects may become more damaging and recovery less certain at higher levels or from longer exposures (US EPA, 1996a, 1996b).

Manufacturers and vendors of ozone devices often use misleading terms to describe ozone. Terms such as "energized oxygen" or "pure air" suggest that ozone is a healthy kind of oxygen. Ozone is a toxic gas with vastly different chemical and toxicological properties from oxygen. Several federal agencies have established health standards or recommendations to limit human exposure to ozone. These exposure limits are summarized in Table 1.

I use one in my exhaust, when needed..

To much ozone will kill your plants.
To much ozone will give you a headache.

I've used one and they do work. Mine started making a high pitched whine after a while though I had to toss it.

Be carefull,,those things are not good for your health.

see, that's where I'm stuck...
we all seem to agree ozone is NOT a healthy gas to breathe
-but-
HOW unhealthy?

"too much = headache" I can deal with...
"too much= cancer" I'll pass !!
NO I do NOT think it does just an over exaggerated example.

I can just barley smell it when I come down here and then that's only within 6' of the device.
think I'll hook it up to a timer
wish I could do "10 sec off 5 sec on" but maybe something like 10 minutes on 10 off ... depends on the timer, those physical ones don't have that much adjustment.

please KEEP posting those thoughts / experiences
unfortunately, its too effective to just ignore

Even causing headaches is something that should NOT be okay. There is a reason that ozone gives you a headache and whatever it is, it cannot be good for your body. Please be very careful.

I don't quite understand from your pic how your filter is set up either. Most go filter>light>fan>out

filter --> fan --> silencer --> out of the, air-tight, cabinet (the last leg/duct of this is missing in the picture)

all LED light fixtures

the negative pressure draws air from the 6" passive inlet I have on the other side (flower), --> through 3 of those "blacked out" 2" pipes you see in the picture and then sucked through the filter>fan>silencer>OUT>blow over ozone device>general basement/house air

Check duct connections for leaks.

If you get a headache get out.
Ozone schorches your lungs

no, no ill effects, just quoting you :p

the fact that its 5' away from me as I type rather than across the room/house is the only reason I'm using it...
if I'm going to hurt anything in the house (wife,kid,pets) its going to be ME first!
but as I said, I "FEEL" no ill effects and can only smell it if I'm right in the exhaust air-flow.

Check duct connections for leaks.

the negative pressure is generated inside the cabinet
there is no possible way air is getting out of this cabinet without passing through the filter/fan first
(ok the duct specifically between the fan and the filter has 2 seams that could allow a smell leak)
but other than that, its a "fool" proof system... NOT ME proof, just fool proof :p

Any connections between filter and fan needs to be leak proof. Doesn't take much of a leak to get the stink.

I have read before that if the air smells like bleach when using ozone it is bad for you.

KICK A$$ post Kravenhead!!

I have it on a timer now, running about 2-3 on 2-3 off (hours)
Obviously, with ozone, the less the better! and that just cut the amount it puts out in 1/2.
It will be a trial and error to find just how low I can go but still benefit from the odor destroying properties.

I'm hyper sensitive right now about odor as the plans for a basement remodel get closer.
Adding a bathroom, utility (sink) room and also a stealth grow room for two 3x3 tents :aok:
Many trades will be tramping through and spending time (days) in my basement so I HAVE to get this right.
(and SAFE!)

Joe if it helps I ordered this today to get that last little trace out of the house it has it's own timer and I like the reviews..

lol its a very frustrating last trace of the smell isn't it?
I swear it can be on the other side of the house and I get a (very distinct) whiff of it. And yet, stand next to the cabinet and smell the exhaust you would swear there is -0- smell... until that whiff hits you again.

ozone is used in commercial greenhouses, when workers are out, the ozene concentration is raised and then is exhausted before the workers come back in

Latest posts

Back