Is there a way?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxdjbud420xx

Reaction score
Is there a way to possibly take one of the big rubbermaid containers for a dwc and make seperate sections? :confused: :confused:

youd have to find a nontoxic glue to glue whatever your using to devide but i agree itd be easier to use multipe buckets
do you know any painters? they allways are throwing 5 gal pails out you might gettem for free

US Plastics has decent prices on black buckets and lids. It is nice to not have to worry about painting white ones or covering them in tape, etc.

The Hemp Goddess said:
US Plastics has decent prices on black buckets and lids. It is nice to not have to worry about painting white ones or covering them in tape, etc.

Help me out here, I'm new. Why would you paint white buckets?:confused:

LOL. You have to keep light out of the buckets.. no light ..... if light gets in the buckets it stunts root growth. Algee builds up in the buckets and your plants die....
I had clear airlines going into the buckets and they started to get algee. Had to switch to black airline.
As for seperating dwc in the same tub.. too much effort. Just clone 2 and put them in the same tub..... if you seperate them in the same tub. How will you drain clean and change the water.?
Its a big enough pain to change out the water in one big plant . Let alone 2 in the same planter with seperate water

City said: LOL. You have to keep light out of the buckets.. no light ..... if light gets in the buckets it stunts root growth. Algee builds up in the buckets and your plants die....
I had clear airlines going into the buckets and they started to get algee. Had to switch to black airline.

I used buckets from different sources, painted them all flat white, even the ones that were originally glossy white. Being in soil, I hope I'm okay. Thanks for the schooling. Man, talk about old dogs and new tricks.

Soil your ok just painting a bucket. DWC your not. You don't want any light getting in

xxdjbud420xx said:
Is there a way to possibly take one of the big rubbermaid containers for a dwc and make seperate sections? :confused: :confused:

Aww- I was just reading about someone who did this, but I can't remember where I saw it (of course)! If I find it I will let you know.

Anyway, what they did was they took 2 rubbermaid containers. One they cut in half and basically just put it into the uncut rubbermaid. This then creates 2 different sides. Then they cut a square hole into the part that separates the sections and put some sort of filter, so the nutrients and water can go through but the roots won't get tangled up.

1.JPG

city said:
Soil your ok just painting a bucket. DWC your not. You don't want any light getting in

Whew!!!!!! Close call. Man, this is like going to school all over again. (But going back with an aganda.)

PencilHead said:
Whew!!!!!! Close call. Man, this is like going to school all over again. (But going back with an aganda.)

Smart A$$...agenda?

Ok. We are talking about DWC.right?
If you want to do a double in one container I feel you are waisting time money and effort. Look ar THG's scrog grow. 2 plants in one container with a support structure to pull and chance water.
A lot less effort.time and money with the same appeal... this is what I'm doing on my next grow...

GrowinGreen said:
Aww- I was just reading about someone who did this, but I can't remember where I saw it (of course)! If I find it I will let you know.

Anyway, what they did was they took 2 rubbermaid containers. One they cut in half and basically just put it into the uncut rubbermaid. This then creates 2 different sides. Then they cut a square hole into the part that separates the sections and put some sort of filter, so the nutrients and water can go through but the roots won't get tangled up.

:confused: I am really confused as to what you want to accomplish with this. What is the benefit? :confused:

I'm with ya.double dwc painting buckets white for soil. Large scale monkey breeding projexts in a a tiny ware house.
I'm just confused as well

The Hemp Goddess said:
:confused: I am really confused as to what you want to accomplish with this. What is the benefit? :confused:

Ya know... I have no idea, but he asked and I just saw a thread about how to do it. I don't grow DWC so I really don't know to much about it. Do you normally not separate the res into sections for the roots?

No you don't... drip systems you do but not dwc. Roots are fully submerged in the water all the time

In a multi-plant container, plants are generally in their own net pots. Other than that, the roots grow into the same reservoir. IMO, any kind of divider that would let nute solution through would also have roots growing through. If you used some kind of fine screen, I believe that it would become clogged and not let the solution pass through.

The Hemp Goddess said:
In a multi-plant container, plants are generally in their own net pots. Other than that, the roots grow into the same reservoir. IMO, any kind of divider that would let nute solution through would also have roots growing through. If you used some kind of fine screen, I believe that it would become clogged and not let the solution pass through.

Here is the thread I was talking about, first he shows how to make a bubble cloner than the DWC bucket so scroll down... check it out:
hXXp://forum.grasscity.com/general-indoor-growing/229473-diy-bubble-cloner-veg-bucket-using.html

ok i see what you are talking about. that is a DWC that is running 2 plants thru veg. thats it.
it has an inner wall structure with a screen in between ti keep a major portion of the roots from making it thru.
thats it.
to me that is more flash than practicality.
2 pots with net baskets would be easier to do water changes and no need to change systems for flower cycle

Latest posts

Back