Is this a thrip?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OGKushman

Don’t eat that pancake.
Reaction score
IT'S WAR!!!:mad:

What is it and how do I murder it's children? :fly:

a3c82d1f.jpg

Bring your plant to the abortion clinic. but for real, ive never seen thrips before so im not sure. just really wanted to say that first sentence. :p

Yes, that is a thrip. I don't know how to get rid of them, but I can confirm, for certain, that is a thrip.

Thrips

Thrips are really tiny, but can be seen by the naked eye. Some may have wings and some may not. Thrips reproduce rapidly, especially in tight places. That is what makes them hard to get rid of when using pesticides. The suck the sap right out of your plant with there piercing mouths, which makes the leaves look like they turned white. You can tell when you have thrips by taking a look at your leaves, the leaves will look as if there chlorophyll have been ripped right off the plant. Plants that are damaged can’t be healed thus making it harder for the plant to absorb light. SO if left untreated the thrips will kill the plants. Damage also can be seen by the greenish black specks of there **** they leave on leaves. Also the plants will show silver patchs from scar tissue. Depending on the severity at first, thrip damage might look like spider mite damage untill it increases in damage and then thrips case is for sure when you see the greenness replace with big parts of white.Thrips also can causes viruses to the plants and any larvae infected will breed more infected pests!. While they suck, the plants release honeydew which can contribute to mold on your plants. Adults have wings but do not fly well, but rather jump more. There are different kinds of Thrips, some more resistant to chemicals. Thrips can also carry plant pathogens in there mouths and carry it to other plants increasing the chance for your plants to get infected. . If your plants are affected during late flowering or close to harvest, please try to use the safest means of control to be safe to your health.

Control

One good way to repel thrips for those growing outside is to use garlic, this is a good way to keep them away before you get them. The color yellow attracts the thrips and should be advised not to have this color around your grow.. If you already have them using neem oil, and or lady bugs can get rid of them. If the infestation is bad then you need to use biological solution like, pyrethrin-like insecticides.

Other Products include:

Chemicals
Hot Pepper Wax,Safer Yard & Garden Insecticide (which can be used right to the day of harvest),GNATROL( used in hydro in the water as well as soil),Doc's Neem Pest Soap,Safer Sticky Stakes,TR-11000 Pyrethrum.

Picture 1 is Thrip damage
Picture 2 is Thrip Larvae (Picture Contributed by: Flatt)

1134Thrips2.jpg

11348788Bugs_problems_01flat.jpg

Yep, that is thrip. Welcome to my thrippy world.

They aren't as bad as the borg, but the are nasty little blanks.

They thrive in hot dry climates. I have used organics and it knocks them down but not out. I find they don't live very long in flower. I think the plant has a natural defense when in bloom and they jump on my blue traps. But in veg they are such a pain in the aster. They thing I know is you have to hit them every five days with your poison of choice. Good luck man.

hXXp://www.ebay.com/itm/Safer-3-in-1-Garden-Spray-Concentrate-32-Oz-/150775083371?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231ae5316b

Works great, and controls other issues. Very Safe.

I have battled the thrips before. In my experience The thrips start on the lower leaves of the plant and work their way up the plant (sucking the life out of it as they go). It is my understanding that They lay their eggs in the soil and then the larva crawl up the plant. Having DE on the soil around the main stem forming a cover extending out several inches will prevent them from climbing the stalk. I have also had good results with Azamax(which is a derivitive of Neem oil, and is biodegradable and not detectable in the buds). I mix it by the directions and do a drench in the soil/coco and let the plant absorb it. Since I run hydro, I pour a considerable amount into the rez so that it can repeat the drench on the soil several times until it is gone(in a few days). I do this 3 times, once a week to eliminate any stragglers or egg hatchlings. I also use "fly tape" to catch any flying critters that come in.

Get them quick as they proliferate quickly :(

I only find them on the concrete. I have scoured and scoured and I don't find them on the plants? ...but I think I am going to use this doctor doom pyrethrin bomb as I JUST switched to flower and there is no bud.

Thanks guys.

Sorry to disagree HP, but the eggs are laid in the tissue of the leaves. Thus the "water markes" that is why you have to spray every 5-7 days as they hatch and suck their way out.

NorCalHal said:
hXXp://www.ebay.com/itm/Safer-3-in-1-Garden-Spray-Concentrate-32-Oz-/150775083371?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231ae5316b

Works great, and controls other issues. Very Safe.

That is good to know Hal, does it harm the leaves like my other stuff does?

getnasty said:
Yes, that is a thrip. I don't know how to get rid of them, but I can confirm, for certain, that is a thrip.

Are you saying you had them and couldn't get rid of them.:D

Ok so 1 question? so why dont I see ANY sign of them on the leaves? Also... I bombed em :D

That is weird that you found one in your room and no sign of them on the plants. Are you a pretty lucky guy?

every since i learned about good old ladybugs i just keep some in my tent..with nothing to eat they die...a great sign...living ladybugs mean their eating...so when they die off i for the most part feel okay on the pest issue...just smoke one and walk along your lawn with a container..their free...and on a sativa high...lol..fun to hunt

Rosebud said:
That is good to know Hal, does it harm the leaves like my other stuff does?

Safers is good stuff, just don't apply it in full sun, or rather bright sun.

I would apply it right at dawn or just before sunset depending on what shift I was working. Once it dries, the light is ok. This was outdoor orchids and stuff.

Never really used it indoors per se. I take the plants out, spray (in the shade), let dry, then move them back in.

Wet

Predatory bugs for thrips:

Most Thrips move down into soil, rockwool or other synthetic growing media to pupate. This is the first stage at which to control Thrip populations, using Predator Nematodes. Often after two months, regular application of Nematodes alone gives good control. However, for heavy or persistent infestations, we recommend using Nematodes in conjunction with above-ground controls. Your choice will depend largely on the environment in your growing area.
Thrips Predator Mites (Amblyseius cucumeris) are most effective under conditions of 70-85% humidity, against all species of Thrips. They will also eat an occasional Spider Mite, and other small pests. However, reports have been poor in low humidity environments, so use these predators in greenhouse and other interior locations with high humidity levels only.
Ladybugs (Hippodamia convergens) eat over 5,000 Aphids and other soft-bodied pests during their one-year lifetime. Ladybugs are one of the few beneficial insects that can be stored, dormant, in the refrigerator for up to a few weeks, depending on the time of year, as long as they don't freeze or dry out. This allows you to use a few at a time, as needed.
Pirate Bugs-The newest Thrips control, Pirate Bugs (Orius insidiosis) also eat Spider Mites, insect eggs, aphids, and small caterpillars. Shipped as nymphs near hatching or adults ready to use (no choice).
Green Lacewing Larvae/Eggs-Looking like tiny alligators, Lacewing larvae (Chrysopa rufilabris) voraciously attack almost any prey they can grab.
Praying Mantis-Fun garden pets, Mantids eat anything & everything they can catch! Praying Mantis (Tenodera sinensis) make wonderful backyard pets, and constantly entertain while they eat insects all Summer long.

may explain why you only saw the one...

I get humming birds every summer that come to my porch to feed from my bottles that I put out for them. Last year I found a dead humming bird on one of the feeders. When I looked closer I found a very large and satisfied looking Praying Mantis hanging on the other side of the feeder and the humming bird was nothing but feathers with no insides. I knew that Mantises were voracious eaters but I was shocked to see one catch and eat a humming bird.

Rose; It has been my understanding that thrips came out of the soil, and it has been my experience that they work their way up from the bottom of the plant, but I didn't realize that they laid their eggs in the flesh of the plant. :)

Latest posts

Back