Is this normal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lemon Jack

Above the clouds
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Alright so this is my first time using the bubble cloner. I took my cuts last Sunday so they have been in 8 days. I just checked them and I don't see any sign of roots yet, but just yesterday they started to yellow. I lifted the lid and noticed all the tips of the stems about a 1/2 up have turned a dark color. Is this normal process before they throw roots? Thanks guys.

I'm by no means an expert but when I took my clone it never turned yellow, it didn't visually grow while the roots grew but than just started going kah-razy, I would take some more clones, and what I did was take a sterile razor blade cut my clones extra long than move them to my cloning area cut them on a 45 about a quarter inch below the third node from the top of my clone drenched it in rooting compound and buried it in soil to about an inch above the bottom node.

Usually takes between 10 and 14 days for my clones to start rooting. Some turn bit yellow on me but as soon as they start feeding they'll come good.

Any chance you have a picture of them ?

Ya thats what i was thinking :( . But I dont see what could of went wrong I took the cuts under water dipped them in the rooting gel and strait into the bubbler they went. One of the stems does look slightly bumpy so maybe thats goods. Just seeing the dark at the bottom of the stem kinda freaked me out. I dont know hopefully there ok.

Come to think of it, my stems did turn a touch red but the plants seem to be flourishing so try waiting it out and hit them with some water now and then.

Nucy said:
Come to think of it, my stems did turn a touch red but the plants seem to be flourishing so try waiting it out and hit them with some water now and then.

Well therr in a bubble cloner so there constantly getting "hit" with water...

i did mist and dome them for a while but i took it off a day or so ago.

That dark stem is possibly rot occuring. I have had that happen sometimes. They may still survive. On mine that showed rot, about half did survive and throw roots. I use an aeroponic cloner that constantly sprays them. It may just be that you cut them off in the wrong spot on the stem, or that plant is just being difficult to clone. I have had that problem as well from some plants that just didn't want to clone well. Wait them out till yer sure they are not going to make it before giving up as a couple may pull through. :)

what would the right spot on the stem be maybe thats where my problem has been as of right now im 2 for 8 in this cloning buisness

Could they be rotting from using regular tapwater? My water is pretty soft really it works fine in my hydro grows but could this maybe of made the stems rot. (if thats what it is) there not black just dark colored i prob exagerated wheb i said 1/2 in its really just the tip less than a 1/4 in prob

Lemon Jack said:
what would the right spot on the stem be maybe thats where my problem has been as of right now im 2 for 8 in this cloning buisness

I find the best spot is riight below a node so that can also throe roots, but any spot will work.

Whats your water temp like in the cloner? too warm can cause rot.

From how your having problems I bet that strain is a tough cloner.

How did the rockwool work?

Growdude said:
I find the best spot is riight below a node so that can also throe roots, but any spot will work.

Whats your water temp like in the cloner? too warm can cause rot.

From how your having problems I bet that strain is a tough cloner.

How did the rockwool work?

well attempt 1 with rockwool 0 out of 4
attempt 2 2 out of 4
now this with the possible rot on no. 3

Im cloning green house seeds lemon skunk and sweet seed jack 47 which was supposed to "take very well to cloning"

Well for starters, I discovered that it is easy to crush the stems if not careful when cutting. Also when I take mine I usually cut them about 4-6inches long and with several leaf nodes on them. I usually will cut just above a set of leaves so that the stem left behind doesn't embolize and block tertiary growth.

Then I cut off the section of internode(open piece of stem between leaves) so that it is about 1/4inch below the next set of leaves. I also cut those leaves off right against the stem so that some of the white innerhurd is exposed. more often than not, that is where tour first roots will spring from. I also either scrape a little of the outer skin off of the little bit of stem sticking down or split it with the blade to expose a bit of the inner hurd.

Then I dunk them right into my cloning gel and place them into the cloner puck that holds them so that about 1-2 inches of the stem is sticking down beneath the puck. I have tried leaving the rest of the leaves intact, cutting off all but the top 2-3 sets of leaves, and cutting in half all but the top 2 leaves. I have not seen any better results with one over the other.

I don't use any heat on my cloner but it sets in the room where the AC is and is kept in the mid 70s. I put my dome on them to keep the AC from blowing on them directly. I have had several clones show rot on the stem below the node and a few have actually had that little section of stem rot entirely away as the roots were growing out of the node, and they grew and thrived. I also use a "thrive alive" B vitamin nute mixed into my foliar spray and spray them once a day until they are ready to be transplanted. :)

About your tap water. If you haven't checked and leveled the PH you should. Also check the TDS of the tap water. If it is softened by the city, you may have chlorine, and some places soften with salt which can cause problems. I would use distilled water and clonex solution, then PH it to 5.5. :)

Well I think Im gonna chuck the bubble cloner use its pieces to make another DWC system. It just seems easier to clone with the RW I know it sounds crazy but I just seemed to have a lil more luck. Actually this morning I noticed out of my last round of 4 2 are veggin now to flower later and the other 2 actually had a little root (they look very very very bad though) so I put them both in cans and will use them for my micro grow given they take.

Thanks alot for the help everyone. Toke up :bong:

Don't give up too quickly brother. You just may have a plant that is being a beotch to clone. I got lucky with my cloner and experience. I did lose a whole batch of clones one time to a mistake that I am still not sure what happened. It takes some practice and making sure all of the elements are right. You will have some plants that just don't want to clone, and others that you can take a cutting that you dropped on the floor and stepped on, and then just threw in some water and it takes off like a rocket. Hopefully they will survive and you can continue to work with it to perfect your technique. :)

Oh Im not giving up by any means . I now have two well rooted clones two with a lil root and i took 4 more yesterday i want 6 all together (4 to flowe 2 to save for future moms)

Ive never used a bubble cloner before because Ive always had such a good experience using RW. often times the leaf tips would yellow a bit just before they would throw roots. Different strains clone completely differently. Ive had different phenos of the same strain even take completely different time periods to clone as well. Temperature makes a big difference. Too hot or too cold can ruin your efforts. Ive had some pretty scrappy looking cuttings finally throw roots and pull through. The only time Ive lost clones was when i had a battle with cold temps for an extended period of time. I lost my favorite pheno then.

Latest posts

Back