Is this ready to flower?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talos4

Reaction score
Is this plant ready to flower? Don't let the size fool you, its very compact because my veg cab has 6000 lumens per square foot. Plants have 5 nodes, 6 counting the new one on top. My last grow I flowered a little sooner than this and got 5 females out of 9 plants. I really need to get flowering, so I can have my light off during the day when I'm gone. I rent and really only want the light on at night when I'm home

Plant.jpg

talos4 said:
Is this plant ready to flower? Don't let the size fool you, its very compact because my veg cab has 6000 lumens per square foot. Plants have 5 nodes, 6 counting the new one on top. My last grow I flowered a little sooner than this and got 5 females out of 9 plants. I really need to get flowering, so I can have my light off during the day when I'm gone. I rent and really only want the light on at night when I'm home
You may want to wait until your plant is larger. The amount of weed you'll get from a small plant like that won't keep you long unless you have a bunch of them. If you were to flower it now, you'd get at most, a couple of ounces.

The plant also needs to be sexually mature. That's when it has alternating nodes.

It also needs to be transplanted into a larger pot. The one it's in isn't big enough.

How do I tell if plant has alternating nodes? This is only my fourth grow and i have more to learn. My last grows I just flowered after vegging for three weeks. These plants have been vegging for almost 3 weeks.

Hey talos, I'm a first time grower and have some sprouts about a week old (3-4 inches tall with only one set of leaves).
When you say your plant has been vegging for 3 weeks, did you start from seed or clone?
I can't believe my plants will look like yours in just 2-3 more weeks. I hope so :) , but again I'm new and there is so much confusing and conflicting info out there.
Basically I'm trying to figure out when I will have bud. My seedlings are only a week old and I have them under 4000 lumens 24/7. Any idea?

Ya I started from seed. These are the most compact plants I've done so far. They had a massive amount of light this time. My last 3 grows my plants were about a foot tall at this point, but didn't have any more nodes than these do at 6 inches high. Whiskey, once you sprout you can figure about 3 weeks to veg. Then to flower from start to finish is about 7 or 8 weeks. I've taken buds off my last plants at only 42 days of flowering and got stoned to death. I've also gone 75 days before and got stoned to death too. The harvest window is huge and very forgiving. If you just sprouted you can veg for 3 weeks and then flower. It sounds like you would be able to take some bud in about 9 weeks

Here's my plants. Do you guys think I could put them in 3 gallon pots monday and start flowering? I really need to get going, I don't care if the yeild is a little less. Notice the front row of plants? the one on the far left and the one on the far right didn't fit in my veg box so they had to go under less light. They are just as tall but not near as bushy, and there way lighter green. The ones that got high light are more bushy and darker green

DSC00288.JPG

talos4 said:
How do I tell if plant has alternating nodes? This is only my fourth grow and i have more to learn. My last grows I just flowered after vegging for three weeks. These plants have been vegging for almost 3 weeks.

A node is where the branch meets the stem.

When marijuana is still young, the nodes are always across from each other. Alternating nodes means that instead of being across from each other, the nodes are alternating.

I would strongly suggest that you read a whole lot of posts on this forum. The questions you're asking tell me that you know almost nothing about growing. If you read the posts that are already here, you'll learn what you need to know without having to ask questions on the basics.

Good luck.

hick iv read what you wrote but do you think that 12 inch plant is ready to be put in the flower ?? i dont have a lot of space

I keep reading 8 inches and you can flower. But what does that mean? My nodes are so tight that if my plants would have had the normal 3000 lumens for veg my plants would be a foot now. I just added up my lumens in my veg cab, and I was wrong, I had about 8000 lumens per sq ft. I'm pretty sure I can flower my now, probably will move to 3 gallon containers and flower on monday

its really all about what you want from your plants. the more patients you have in letting them get to the proper age and the more light you have to give them the more your going to get from them.

you just need to decide if your willing to give up 3-4 ounces of yeild cause your impatient.

maybe you could just start to shorten your light cycle slowly, take it from 18 hours of light down to say 14 or so, thats only a couple hours off the 12/12 cycle but will be enough to still allow them to veg.

hmmmmm i thought of ( i got them on 18 now) when they reach 12 inches to go one week 16H then one week 14h and 12 and just leave them to flower

i think i am about to do the same cause i am running out of room in my veg room, i havent measured them yet to know the exact hieght but i am pretty sure i found one of them with an alternating node so the others cant be far behind.
i actually have mine down to a 15 hour light on cycle now i think, it was something in a post i read about promoting more female plants from seedlings on giving them longer to rest. also the growth rate seems much faster to me with less hours under the "sun". i have two plants that act like they are on steroids or something cause they are a good two or three inches above the rest and are growing up into the cfl's and burning the leaves, i actually have one side of the light bars raised higher then the other side to compensate for their height.
ones i have under 24 hour light are about half the size, but they are under flouros and CFL's like the others so that could be some of the difference too.

i have six that will be going into flower and there is already one in there thats about 3 weeks into flower. its one that got flowered way early and has been under HPS during veg too and its a tall lanky looking thing. i am just not sure i wil have room for all 7 in there at once.

I'm working on two seperate compact growboxs, and I'm unsure of what yield is possible on young (but healthy) plants. Anyways, did Stoney Bud mean if those flowered now, they'd get a couple ounces (dry-weight) off that single plant? If that's the case, I'd go with one box instead, as that kind of yield would last many months.:p

growth rate seems much faster to me with less hours under the "sun".
what you see is elongation of the stem, between nodes, because it is "stretching" for more light, not faster growth.."IMHO"
I also think if you "slowly decrease" the light hours, rather than an instant switch to 12/12, you are likely to see more stretching.

I always suggest waiting for alt nodes or prflowers to flower. Premature flowering will affect yield and potency, to some extent.

ok maybe i have the wrong idea of what "stretching" is or maybe my plants are an exception. take a look at these plants hick, these are only under 15 hours of light a day, these plants are about 3 weeks old.

look at the last pic, i pulled the branches back so you can see the nodes.

question: do you wait for alternating nodes on the main stem? cause one of them has alt. nodes not on the main stem but on a secondary growth branch, does that mean she is ready for flower?

plant2.jpg

plant4.jpg

plant1.jpg

plant3.jpg

well they look fantastic...and I don't see any excssive "stretch" going on.
I think 'any' alternateing nodes are a sign of maturity.

hick the only thing i can think of why they might not be stretchin is the way the lights are set up. there are 12 cfl bulbs spaced very evenly over the top shelf of the closet. it really allows the light to reach just about all areas of the plant, there are ZERO dark spots in the room, even the bottom branches are very much light geting to them even with the monster leaves some of them have.

here is the light setup in my veg room, its a rather small space and is lined on the sides, ceiling, and floor with mylar to help reflect ALL light hitting anywhere. and like i say the bulbs are very evenly spaced so i think its just allowing everything to get so much light they are getting tons of stored energy for their rest periods of 9 hours of lights off.

i have 6 of the biggest pots i could fit in there, and they are wall to wall, and end to end, even the spaces below and inbetween the buckets are we lit.

cflroom3.jpg

cflroom4.jpg

Latest posts

Back