Island Of Misfits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't been fishing in a hundred years. Almost sounds like a sin when I'm surrounded by the biggest lakes in the world and countless smaller lakes and rivers. Back when I was a kid, it was carp on 4 pound test line and a micro light rod and reel. You could play a 5 pound carp for what seemed like hours. I tossed them back in until a black gal caught me. She pretty much demanded that I give 'em to her, so I did. After that, most of the locals knew I didn't keep my catch, so they always took them. I was just there to kill time and get high.

As a newlywed, it was perch in Lake Huron. I'd catch 'em, clean 'em, and even cook 'em, but I never ate any. Never cared for the taste or texture. Did my fair share of smelt dipping. Mom loved 'em. I never ate any. Sure got popular when people knew I was giving 'em away.

1674655704308.jpeg

I love to watch her read to me.

I’ve had a few fishing outings including salt water by boat and off shore. When fishing on my own, I’m more comfortable with a cane pole. We dug a pond at our old place maybe 100 yards in dia and 30 ft deep. We had an artesian well that supplied it and stocked it with catfish and Georgia Giant brim So relaxing just to go out there and catch a few fish especially with the grandkids. There was a continuous supply for the years we lived there. I didn’t care for eating our fish or especially killing them could have had something to do with that. We did allow friends to fish there and keep their catch unless they caught an obvious prego fish fat with babies. Had a birthday party once there with all the relatives. Had a cane pole fishing contest with all the kids old and new. We had 30 poles rigged and them city kids went crazy.
will check out the Tenkara addictView attachment 318238
My second wife was Japanese, and her uncle owned a nursery on which he had a natural spring fed pond, that he raised trout in but never fished. He offered me the chance, but after I had three nice fish in three casts with a spoon, he got all nervous.

I stopped fishing and we kept one and gave the other two to him to eat but were never invited back.
thanks for the fish stories! sounds like you have fished the PNW and hit all the good places

you and Swede would get along good especially talking salmon

she won a 21’foot boat and motor that she won in a fishing contest up by Port Angeles

40+ pound king salmon for the win

View attachment 318232

my big fish

View attachment 318236
That beats any of my fish stories, as the largest Salmon I've caught was barely in the thirties and it was offshore, so I more or less just winched her in to the net. The most I ever caught was five medium size Salmon in one day.
I would like a set please. Those will do.

I haven't been fishing in a hundred years. Almost sounds like a sin when I'm surrounded by the biggest lakes in the world and countless smaller lakes and rivers. Back when I was a kid, it was carp on 4 pound test line and a micro light rod and reel. You could play a 5 pound carp for what seemed like hours. I tossed them back in until a black gal caught me. She pretty much demanded that I give 'em to her, so I did. After that, most of the locals knew I didn't keep my catch, so they always took them. I was just there to kill time and get high.

As a newlywed, it was perch in Lake Huron. I'd catch 'em, clean 'em, and even cook 'em, but I never ate any. Never cared for the taste or texture. Did my fair share of smelt dipping. Mom loved 'em. I never ate any. Sure got popular when people knew I was giving 'em away.
We gave our rough fish away to folks in the impoverished part of (politically incorrect N-word epithet) town when I was growing up too, but my sixth degree Roku dan Kendo master stationed in the US by his company, complained that he couldn't get Carp at the fish market and that the Japanese consider them the queen of the fish.

I spear fished him some in the pristine clear snow melt Clackamas River and his wife fixed a delightful dish out of them, where the bones crunched up like they do in Sardines.

Latest posts

Back