Island Of Misfits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe GW will give us an update. On second thought he won't. GW avoids trouble....not like you and me.
I'm on once a day and missed the drama. I'll look closer but I missed the drama when ya'll left too.
If its the GFI on the charger it self I have had GFI's that were wired in to my pressure washer go bad.
I cut out the GFI portion of it and installed a regular 110volt male cord plug.
Usually in this day in age of electricity every receptacle outside is GFI Protected.
The GFI is built into the 240V charger. It fails when I unplug the charger from the car, but resets if I flip the breaker off, plug it in to the car, and then reset the breaker.

I'm on once a day and missed the drama. I'll look closer but I missed the drama when ya'll left too.

The GFI is built into the 240V charger. It fails when I unplug the charger from the car, but resets if I flip the breaker off, plug it in to the car, and then reset the breaker.
Old EE here. I gotta point out that it looks like you are getting three or four hundred thousand microphasms on the subjunctive side, and it won't polarize worth a crap.

Wishing everyone a stellar Weedsday and February oneth! A mostly cloudy day here, starting at 31F.
bigarmhug.gif
puffpuffpass_smilie.gif

Are you unplugging it whilst its still charging? ( i doubt it)
Its just a thought but if it is easy shut off the charger before you disconnect it from your car.
My reasoning is that if every time you disconnect you are making the ground fault portion of the unit trip.
I am kind of making the connection with a circuit breaker that has tripped repeatedly due to a over load.
Eventually it gets weak. Now C.B.s are magnetic where Gfis are not .
But IMHO every time a gfi trips it becomes more sensitive. (like my Mrs..)
If you shut the charger off the gfi does not trip.
I have wired Four EV receptacles for people
The Tesla was a 220 volt 40 amp rec.
Thats a lot of amps considering your dryer is 30 amp and your electric stove is 40 or 50 amps

Are you unplugging it whilst its still charging? ( i doubt it)
Its just a thought but if it is easy shut off the charger before you disconnect it from your car.
My reasoning is that if every time you disconnect you are making the ground fault portion of the unit trip.
I am kind of making the connection with a circuit breaker that has tripped repeatedly due to a over load.
Eventually it gets weak. Now C.B.s are magnetic where Gfis are not .
But IMHO every time a gfi trips it becomes more sensitive. (like my Mrs..)
If you shut the charger off the gfi does not trip.
I have wired Four EV receptacles for people
The Tesla was a 220 volt 40 amp rec.
Thats a lot of amps considering your dryer is 30 amp and your electric stove is 40 or 50 amps
Yes, we do unplug it without turning it off, because it doesn't come with an on/off switch, nor does the destruction manual suggest it is necessary, but you could be right as to the reason for the problem.

I did turn off the 50A charger breaker after Grayfox left with the EV and turned it back on after it was plugged in again, so as to get it to work. I don't want to use the breaker inside the locked garage as the switch, so looks like I need to install a 40-amp outdoor switch or a regular switch controlling an SSR.

Latest posts

Back