Island Of Misfits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the poor roosters do not know any better , they are acting quite natural , mostly protecting their flock

it is me the human who gets upset and does not act normal , I swear I can get so mad at one of the roosters that I want to kill them and to me killing a basically helpless bird who is several times smaller than me, well , that is nothing to brag about and it really doesn’t solve much in my opinion

the question and challenge is why?..

.why do I get angry at a bird when the bird is acting normal?

the bird is doing its job by protecting its flock and its me that is the problem , I am invading his space

i have come to the conclusion that it is me who needs to be alert when I enter the barnyard

it’s my job to protect myself and I can do that real easy without getting angry and killing a defenseless bird who is so small that all it takes is a small knock on its pea sized head and it’s dead

its my fault anyway because I didn’t take care of the problem sooner and that was I should have given them away when they were baby chicks

but I never had chickens before and did not know how much of a problem a few roosters would cause

i have adapted and changed and the birds are making me a better human , the more I watch them and take care of them , the more I learn

dont get me wrong , anger is a normal feeling and reaction and there is nothing wrong with anger in and of itself

it is what one does or how one reacts to that anger when it comes up within us

anger can bring positive results when directed in a positive way just the same as it does when acted upon in a negative way , it brings a negative result

i am not judging anyone , I am just sharing my experience with my chickens in general and roosters and anger specifically

the poor roosters do not know any better , they are acting quite natural , mostly protecting their flock

it is me the human who gets upset and does not act normal , I swear I can get so mad at one of the roosters that I want to kill them and to me killing a basically helpless bird who is several times smaller than me, well , that is nothing to brag about and it really doesn’t solve much in my opinion

Growing up, we didn't put as much thought into it as you have and considered it normal to eat the roosters that were spurring us, plus the hens didn't seem to care.

They only made it through the first cull, because they were runts and we couldn't tell that they weren't pullets. Not the best gene pool for future generations and I prefer my eggs unfertilized.

56F @ 78% RH, gaugus and predicted to hit 81F.

A laid back Sunday with good dog walks and catching up on reading.

If I would have know how much fun chickens are , I would have started raising them years ago!..

we have 13 hens and 3 roosters.....I love the hens.....the roos not so much , they really try my soul and cause me to seek god , so maybe I need them

all our birds are Buff Orpingtons

here they are helping me mix my soil , they add amendments to it, **** and feathers mostly , and the plants love it!

View attachment 264957
Old Softy
tough-rooster-badass-rooster-tough-joint-demotivational-poster-1267431998.jpg

yeah , that’s my Bruno....he is a killer , no joke , he jumped a hen one day and pecked her in the head and she was dead in 1 minute

View attachment 264969
Not sure what breed he was but I had a Giant pure White Rooster that never let me collect eggs
I had to trick him ever morn to get him in the yard locked out of the hen house to collect eggs, He must have been building his anger because one day he got out and who did he go straight for to attack ..............................Me. I may have had soup that night
Like this one
See the source image

Yeah that is part of their job too.....there is no quitting in my Buff Orpington roosters , once they get in fight mode , it appears to be until death , they do not have a red light telling them to stop , not even when they are half dead , it is an amazing example of valor , courage , and stupidity all rolled into one ball of feathers

yeah we were raised like Greywolf , chickens were food and I watched my parents chop the head off many a bird as a kid growing up and I didn’t think twice about it as a kid

as an adult , I have come to respect life , all life , in every form , and as an elderly human , I’ll be 70 soon , I am still learning about life

Morning Do you ever catch Blowfish where you fish
These are Atlantic Blowfish
See the source image
See the source image

Good eats , taste like chicken, many yrs ago Dad and I would catch bushel bags and give them out to the neighbors. I have seen for the 1st time this yr they may be coming back.
"Chicken of the sea" <-- The meat is different from other fish -- no little bones.

all our birds are Buff Orpingtons

Same here, that's what all these babies are.

I hope we have better luck with the cocks, maybe because my daughter and I will be the ones tending the birds most of the time? I'm hoping they like the ladies better, is that true? Do roosters favor female humans over male ones? 🤞

I think we can tell one of these babies is male, it's mean as shit, every time we go in there and put our hands in there, it (he) runs up and starts pecking us, nonstop, lol. Now it's funny, but so much, very soon I'm sure!

Good morning, everyone! Hey, @Hopper, I've been wondering, how is your shoulder doing?

I hope we have better luck with the cocks, maybe because my daughter and I will be the ones tending the birds most of the time? I'm hoping they like the ladies better, is that true? Do roosters favor female humans over male ones? 🤞

I think we can tell one of these babies is male, it's mean as ****, every time we go in there and put our hands in there, it (he) runs up and starts pecking us, nonstop, lol. Now it's funny, but so much, very soon I'm sure!

Good morning, everyone! Hey, @Hopper, I've been wondering, how is your shoulder doing?

My Friends Fater taught me to Vent sex them

I think we can tell one of these babies is male, it's mean as ****, every time we go in there and put our hands in there, it (he) runs up and starts pecking us, nonstop, lol. Now it's funny, but so much, very soon I'm sure!

good luck with them

i truly believe one can help train chickens to be more friendly , even roosters , I’ve seen it with my own eyes

the secret is when they are little one must hold them a lot to get them used to humans

,y youngest rooster used to do just what you described , he would even jump up on my hand wrist area and start shagging me!...hahahahaha!..

well I didn’t mind and in fact I encouraged him to jump up on my hand and carry him around the barnyard a little

well he’s a big rooster now but guess what? , he still jumps up on my hand to this day lol

i was nice to him a lot when he was little and it shows today

the other two roosters?...well those are the two who taught me a lot about chicken behavior and I wasn’t a very good learner and fought back a lot and to this day those two roosters will peck the feck out of me , in fact after one vicious spur spike in my ankle , I had to go to the er to get some antibiotics cause it got infected...

I carry a stick with me most of the tome when I’m in the barnyard...but guess what , when those two roosters try and attack me?..it’s funny to me now because it’s so easy to flip them over on their arses with just a slight mma move , besides that , they are getting old now , grandpa roosters , and they are a little slower now and thanks to them I am a little wiser

D1E5AF7C-E656-4568-AAA0-EA79075494DF.jpeg

and when they were smaller and my beard was shorter...

1D4BB068-293A-46A3-B39E-5DB1A7E4B354.jpeg

Latest posts

Back