Island Of Misfits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm out. Group hugs. See ya all in the morning, Buddha willing.

Hugz all around!

Gooode morning all ya'll brothers and sisterwomen! 54F @ 70% RH, double gaugus and predicted to reach 80F here.

Got mah tamaters and a couple Jalapeno peppers planted and caged. I also set the raised bed up with a drip watering system. Not a big selection at Portland Nursery left this late, but I ended up with Beefsteak and one Morton Hybrid tomatoes. I was hoping for Habaneras but they were out.

It's late for tamaters and peppers but we had a cold wet Spring here. Last frost is officially May 11, but it has been under 50F a lot. If push comes to shove, we will be having fried green tomatoes!

I also put some C-99 and C-99/NL in a wet towel to soak.

Last edited:
100 f again. Picking what corn left by the chickens. First time this has happened. Guessing it's the type of corn grown, a short variety. Cobs close to the ground. Wont be growing it again.

Dam weeds are taller than the corn
weeds corn.jpg

we really like our electric lawnmower and weed eater

but a car?

fuggit about it
The lawn mower would be totally impractical for me. Way too much land to cover. Love my battery powered weed eater. Saves a lot of jerkin' on a rope, trying to start the old gas one.
An electric car? For the kind of driving I do, it would be pretty much perfect. 6.2 mile round trip to the tavern twice a week, and occasional 6-8 mile round trip to town, and the rare 20 mile or so trip to the neighboring town would fit my lifestyle perfectly.
Before I retired? No way in he ll.

ness, I've got a 52" fireplace in the great room and a nice fire pit out back...I burn most in the burn pile, way too much wood for me to burn in a conventional way...I keep the fire hot using the loader...don't know how the front tires haven't caught fire yet...:eek:I'm hitting the sack as well, nite folks...

boo you have all type of man toys. Your place sounds beautiful. Have fun.

If your tires caught firer would it be hard to put them out?:eek:

Oh, deary dear...

Back in The Olden Days, before you squirts were even a lascivious idea in your old man's groin... A washday job that was sorta fun was putting the sheets out in the sun on the ironing spreader.

"Ironing spreader? Wozzat?" y'all say...

Back in The Day, there was no such invention as "wrinkle-free" sheets, where your mamas could just dangle the sheets over the line with a clothespin... that was not an option back then.

So us kids would carefully get out the "sorta" folding light framework. When erected in the back yard, it looked like an inverted "V". The framework was outlined with hundreds of sewing needles.

There was one way, and one way ONLY to get the sheets on to the frame: It took three kids. (Probably why I was born.)

One kid (me, yougest) in the middle, and one at either end at the bottom of the frame. The clean sheet would be in the form of a roll. We would unroll about a foot more than we needed, and carefully push the cloth into the needles along the bottom edge at our three "stations".

Then my much-older siblings would completely unroll the sheet to immediately attach each upper corner to the frame.

My job was the bottom row of pins. You did a kinda pull-and-pin, pull-and-pin until the whole sheet was taut. Then we'd do the other side.

Getting the sheets off was so easy, I never got to do it. But I enjoyed watching.

Pretty cool UncaWalt. Growing up in the 60's was something else.

Got to run I have a few things to do in the kitchen before the bad heat hits. No, ac in the kitchen.

Have fun, pass puff puff pass.🥰

boo you have all type of man toys. Your place sounds beautiful. Have fun.

If your tires caught firer would it be hard to put them out?:eek:
if and when the tires begin to burn is the time to get off the loader and get away...I've had the loader for 20 plus years, I'm pretty good about dumping the load and getting out of the way...I've got 8 tractors too many, I hope to sell them in the near future...I got a call from a friend here this morning around 7am...I don't get up before 8am so a return call about 3am is in order, paybacks yanno... ;)

The lawn mower would be totally impractical for me. Way too much land to cover. Love my battery powered weed eater. Saves a lot of jerkin' on a rope, trying to start the old gas one.
An electric car? For the kind of driving I do, it would be pretty much perfect. 6.2 mile round trip to the tavern twice a week, and occasional 6-8 mile round trip to town, and the rare 20 mile or so trip to the neighboring town would fit my lifestyle perfectly.
Before I retired? No way in he ll.

All but around 800 driving miles last year were on the Ford electric for us, because we are retired and are mostly getting groceries and thangs. The 13 mpg Jeep makes it all possible by doing our 800 miles of hauling and long distance traveling.

Dodged a bullet. Thought my day had turned into a shitty one. Long about 11:00, I heard a big BOOM!, and the sound of the AC running was gone, TV dead, and the ceiling fan is slowly winding down.
Went out to talk to the Old Hen and she said everything was off. Gonna be 89 today, and no AC?
Hopped on the ATV and headed down the road to see if someone had hit a pole. Nope. Checked all the transformers on the way back. None looked visibly burned. Stopped off at my favorite neighbors and asked 'em if they had power. Nope. She asked if I'd heard the boom. Yep.
The neighbor next to her was out in her back yard with her new puppy. She said her and her husband were napping and the boom was what woke 'em up.
Hopped in the van and headed for the other side of the road across the Xway. Substation wasn't on fire. Drove back slow and spotted an old boy sitting in his garage. Pulled in and introduced myself and asked if he still had power. He motioned toward a fan he had in his garage and said he still had it. Asked me if I needed anything like water or whatever. I thanked him and said no. I love the people around here.
Got a call from the Pullet saying that according to Consumers Energy, it was only our road. Lucky me. Claimed they would have it back on by 15:00. Came back home and saw a boom truck pulling up the road. Consumers claimed the power was only out for an hour and five minutes. It was only out for 40! Old Hen took the guy down a loaf of banana bread and thanked him for the quick response.
Just got a text from them stating "Cause: Animal". Guess I'm one squirrel down. :)

Is Roster missing?

Sometimes when I tried to log in the site the site doesn't let me in. Message said OOPS something like that. Does that happen to anyone esle?

It's going to lighting got to shut of the computer.:)
Sometimes he does to many drugs and becomes Super Roster

Latest posts

Back