Island Of Misfits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and it works!

I’ve done side by side with dirt , indoors , the Perlite Hempy buckets out performed the dirt by 25-50%

sorry for the crappy photo..I have a ton on my PC but it crashed a long time ago and I have not recovered my pics yet

most plants are in 5 gal buckets but I also used 17 gal white totes

i used the tote lids for drain pans

View attachment 322229
That's pretty cool. Seems like it would get alot more air to the roots with perlite as a medium and id assume maintenance time is cut significantly. Did you notice any draw backs?

My mountain friend has come and gone. My veg tent now only has mothers. In a few weeks my flower tent will be dark. I am almost a free man....temporally. Spring time is my busiest time of the year. Will still be busy but won't be spending near as much time in the basement this summer. Feels weird.

jail-release.gif

My mountain friend has come and gone. My veg tent now only has mothers. In a few weeks my flower tent will be dark. I am almost a free man....temporally. Spring time is my busiest time of the year. Will still be busy but won't be spending near as much time in the basement this summer. Feels weird.

jail-release.gif
Speak to your Mrs . Im sure She can keep you busy with something... :rolleyes:

That's pretty cool. Seems like it would get alot more air to the roots with perlite as a medium and id assume maintenance time is cut significantly. Did you notice any draw backs?

no drawbacks

it is a time tested method but like anything else thatnis new , there is a learning curve

Perlite is only one part of the equation

nutrients , lighting , environment , pest control , are a few other parts to the equation that come to mind

no drawbacks

it is a time tested method but like anything else thatnis new , there is a learning curve

nutrients , lighting , environment , pest control , are a few other parts to the equation that come to
no drawbacks

nutrients , lighting , environment , pest control , are a few other parts to the equation that come to mind
Right, if I could help the extinction of ladybugs along I would give it serious consideration.

In the wintertime, the pipes are heated by heat tape and those tanks are mostly filled with filter material. Besides, i will be building something around it anyway this summer to make it look better. Glad i got you old bastards giving me pointers. Negative Nancys.😁
Besides,, i have a 7yr warranty.

And yes I'm sure the salt helps but let's say we have a few real bad days and it isn't working well due to ice or something. All i have to do is turn a few valves and bypass it until the freezing weather is gone. Very simple fix but i don't see that happening.
Excellent point The Salt will drop the freezing temperature by a few degrees for sure
I bet there is a way to figure it out by the amount of salt crystals you add to the filter per rate of water in said tanks.
@Tattered Old Graywolf @LabRat I bet know the formula I speak of?

jail-release.gif
Floating on a lake in the sun vs hanging out inside my basement? I will opt for the former every time given a choice.

jail-release.gif
More time to drink with your neighbors across the street

Excellent point The Salt will drop the freezing temperature by a few degrees for sure
I bet there is a way to figure it out by the amount of salt crystals you add to the filter per rate of water in said tanks.
@Tattered Old Graywolf @LabRat I bet know the formula I speak of?

There's a water softener in my basement but I put it on bypass a year after getting the place. The old guy used potassium chloride in the brine tank as it's better for watering the garden with so you don't add a lot of sodium.

Once I get my RO system installed I'll use the brine tank for storing water for the plants. I have a big roll of the 1/4" tubing so I can put the tank in the grow room where the water will stay nice and warm and feed it from the other end of the basement. Dugout water feed so will be filtering down to 0.5µ and UV sterilizing. Bought all the parts 2 years ago and still haven't got around to installing it all. :)

Configuration01.JPG

☮️

There's a water softener in my basement but I put it on bypass a year after getting the place. The old guy used potassium chloride in the brine tank as it's better for watering the garden with so you don't add a lot of sodium.

Once I get my RO system installed I'll use the brine tank for storing water for the plants. I have a big roll of the 1/4" tubing so I can put the tank in the grow room where the water will stay nice and warm and feed it from the other end of the basement. Dugout water feed so will be filtering down to 0.5µ and UV sterilizing. Bought all the parts 2 years ago and still haven't got around to installing it all. :)

View attachment 322336

☮️
Damm,I have seen less complicated stuff on a SpaceX rocket when I wired the tail lites...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back