Issues in Flowering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gatordontplay

Reaction score
Im in the middle of my first grow and have learned tons already, but have some gssues. First I have a clone that is about ready for harvest but only looks like im getting a little off it. Its about 3ft tall. Is there anything i can do to fix this on the next one. The main cola is only about 3-4 inches long. Im using a 600hps in a small bedroom. Temps staying aroun 65-75. using basic nutes. Watering every three days. I also have another that is about 5 ft tall (supposedly white widow) and started flowering 6wks ago and all i see are tons of hairy tips but not budding. It grew from 16in in veg to 5ft in the last 8wks. took 2 wks for female parts to show. It appears healthy. Would it just be crap seed or grower problem. Would it be better to get rid of it and add a new one? Its wide and spread out and looks like id get a huge yield if it speeds up. Any thoughts?

Is your growing area one big open space or does your space have walls around it. Can you post a picture? We need to know if your plants are getting enough light. Two plants and 600 Watts sound good but not if it isn't dialed in. Please tell us more. Oh, and welcome to MP.

gatordontplaynoshit said:
Im in the middle of my first grow and have learned tons already, but have some gssues. First I have a clone that is about ready for harvest but only looks like im getting a little off it. Its about 3ft tall. Is there anything i can do to fix this on the next one. The main cola is only about 3-4 inches long. Im using a 600hps in a small bedroom. Temps staying aroun 65-75. using basic nutes. Watering every three days. I also have another that is about 5 ft tall (supposedly white widow) and started flowering 6wks ago and all i see are tons of hairy tips but not budding. It grew from 16in in veg to 5ft in the last 8wks. took 2 wks for female parts to show. It appears healthy. Would it just be crap seed or grower problem. Would it be better to get rid of it and add a new one? Its wide and spread out and looks like id get a huge yield if it speeds up. Any thoughts?

I think that, first of all, we need way more information and (if possible) a picture is worth a thousand words.

In the first sentence you say that you are in the middle of your first grow. In the next sentence, you tell us you have clones almost ready for harvest? These are two entirely different time frames, so I am confused.

What are "basic" nutes? Do you have good air exchange in your space? Are you checking pH and ppms? What kind of soil mixture did you use? How big is your space--a 600W will only adequately light about 16 sq ft. If you do not have a space enclosed, the light is disbursing throughout the entire room, giving you a very poor lumen per sq ft count. Also, if you have any light leaks at all, this is going to affect flowering and possibly cause hermies.

:yeahthat: :yeahthat: We really need to see pictures to tell what is happening. Where did yu get yer seeds? are yu in soil or in hydro? are yu certain that yu got females and not hermies? Do yu test yer medium ph and tds to make sure the chemistry is balanced? these are some pretty finicky girls that we like to play with.;)

Im using soil called basement. The room is a small bedroom and I put up plastic around to close in a 4x12 area. My nutes are cutting edge solutions and adding cal mag as well. I have good airflow. a room fan as and running ducting with a fan and carbon filter blowing outside. Im checking ph but not ppm. The one is a little droopy if i dont water every 2-3days. Its fluctuated up and down since the beginning of flowering and the leaves curl in sparatic areas of the plant. Heres the full story. I started with three seeds and unfortunately I had two males. I then bought a clone and another two weeks later i bought a third hoping to get a bit more yield and self esteem back. the one with the bud is about 6 wks in and hairs are already starting to turn amber, which id be fine with but its got small buds. For its defense i started it in flower when it was about 18in and recently cloned, but fully rooted. I got the white widow seed from an online seed bank and me be a cheap *** got some that said they were on sale for 75% off but i checked a few weeks ago and not to my surprise are still on sale. lesson learned, but the plant is hairy but definitely not as far along as it should be and not creating buds. Thanks for the quick responses. Think Ill really enjoy this site.

006.JPG

007.JPG

008.JPG

013.JPG

my big one is only a few inches but i dont have much room to keep pulling the light up. The others are 2 ft away.

can you bend the "big"plant over ti both plants are the same height and then get the light within 12 to 18 inches of them it will help control the streaching of the one plant.

You need more light or a smaller space. You have 3 times more space than you should. A 600W is good for about 16 sq ft. Your space is 48 sq ft. IMO, this is probably the major cause of the small buds. However, the plant in the 3rd pics does have some issues.

I agree completely with the light issue. looks like the girls are reaching hard for some light. I could be wrong but the curling looks to me like its drying out too much between waterings, JMO.

What are basic nutes? Too much N in flower will make for small buds.

Your light is too small but I would think you should be seeing better buds right under the light.

I recently visited a grow, where in a 10x10 flowering room, with about a dozen 4-5 foot plants. He was running one 400 watt hps. Just as I started to "comment" on the lack of light, he firmly, and with great confidence, stated....."All these guys saying you need those big thousand watters, are full of it. THIS is "ALL" that you need."
It was so obvious that he knew more about it than I, that I just bit my tongue, and nodded my head...:confused2:

Hick said:
I recently visited a grow, where in a 10x10 flowering room, with about a dozen 4-5 foot plants. He was running one 400 watt hps. Just as I started to "comment" on the lack of light, he firmly, and with great confidence, stated....."All these guys saying you need those big thousand watters, are full of it. THIS is "ALL" that you need."
It was so obvious that he knew more about it than I, that I just bit my tongue, and nodded my head...:confused2:
:eek: I guess I can see where he is right in one sense, but how did his plants look? I have discovered the difference in having enough success to work and having enough work to be successful.:doh: I guess It's a matter of how yu measure success:hubba:

I'm guessing 3-4 weeks into 12/12, and "to me"... they looked like they needed more light!...:p Hopefully, as I get better acquainted, I will be able to 'suggest' some improvements, without hurting his pride or pinching his ego.
I could tell by his tone and body language, that he had been told before, and probably knows better, "deep down" inside. But isn't about to admit it........'yet'. ;)

Latest posts

Back