It's First Time. I would like to have some advice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mount that light horizontally,the ballast on those get pretty warm. If you mount it horizontally the ballast will stay cooler and you will have better light distribution.
You should be using a 6500k bulb for veg, the 2700k bulb would be for flower.

MR1, I just did it 36 hours ago. Do you think i'm doing it right here?

I gonna change the bulb position to horizontal right now. By the way i'm a newbie and have no idea how long it need to start grow. The Seedbank said its 9 weeks cicle.

Thanks you very much for the help!

Welcome to The Passion :) A few tips for you starting out. First, I hate the seed starters that you are using as they will drown seedlings very quickly because they hold water like a sponge. That said, people still have success with those, so just be very careful to not over water them. You want to keep them only moist, not wet.

Second; That light there is not the best light for "vegging" Mj as the light spectrum is what is typically used for flowering. It is not the worst though so don't panic. It will work for them as seedlings but I highly recommend that you look into getting another one (or 3) that are in the 6500K spectrum. The light will not look warm/yellowish but will be bright, blue/white looking. MJ is a high energy plant that is very need specific. It is not at all like any house plants. It needs A LOT OF LIGHT to do its thing.

We have a formula ffor the light needs of growing Mj: You need a MINIMUM of 3000 lumens per square foot of grow space for "vegging" your plants, and a MINIMUM of 5000 lumens per square foot for flowering. It appears that you have a tent that is about 1meter by 1meter. That is real close to a 4'x4' which is 16 square feet off lighted space. For proper vegging, you will need lighting that is producing 48,000 lumens or more. I suspect the light that you are using is only producing about 10,000-15,000 lumens. Now that will be fine for now as the seeds germ and begin to grow, but once they get bigger, you will quickly need to ramp up the lumens.

You can either buy several more of those lights to fill the space above the plants, or get a few for vegging and then get a different kind of light for flowering, which will need a minimum of 80,000 lumens. You can get more of those big CFL lights (half in the 6500K, half in the 2700K) or you can get one 600w HPS with an enclosed reflective hood that can be ventilated to remove the heat that is created. The CFLs have no way to isolate and ventilate the heat that they produce. They are also not as efficient as the HPS lights.

There is so much more that I can tell you but I don't know how much you already know about growing Mj. However, if you are inexperienced at indoor growing, or growing in general, then I suggest that you read all that you can and try to learn as much as you can. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask :)

Thank you Hushpuppy and MR1!

I'll try to get a 600hps and reflectors. It's so fascinating to learn about PH, heating, how to start germination.

Guys, I leave the seed start in "normal water" for a few minutes then I put the seed in about 0.5 cm. The bulb is working 18 hours a day.

How long you think it could be "starting"?
:48:

You could see a sprout in a day or two or it can take a week. You should leave your light on 24 hrs.

You should also start autos in whatever pot you plan on finishing them in... I prefer 1.5 gallon minimum but have had my best results from 2 gal pots.... the deeper the better to give plenty of room for the tap root.... good luck :48:

You really need a reflector for your light, too. Right now you are wasting a lot of the light as 1/2 of it is going towards the ceiling without a reflector. Like mentioned, that is not quite the right bulb for when the plant first starts out.

I would encourage you to do some serious reading and studying. It is critical that autos be kept as happy and as stress free as possible. This is only accomplished by a grow room that is dialed in. A dialed in grow room only happens with knowledge about what constitutes a good environment. There is so much more to growing than simply putting seeds into peat cubes and putting whatever light you have overhead. You need a separate little space that is for the plants only.

Turn your light to 20 hours a day. The plants will probably take longer than 9 weeks. The breeders tend to be a bit optimistic with flowering times.

There are some books here that you should read: http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69335

I just did an auto run and tried an experiment that I "believe" was positive in my results. I started my plants in smaller containers of medium until they got going good (about 2wks) then gently slid them out of that container (2.5ltr pot) and set into a larger container which held roughly 16-20ltrs of medium (I use coco coir/pearlite). I kept them under 24hrs of light until they began to alternate the leaf nodes and show preflowers. Shortly after that, they began to flower (were at about 5wks from seed germ when flowering began) and at that point I switched the lighting, using a timer, so that at 11am they turned off for 5hrs, then turned back on. They did quite well and so ffar my 2 plants have produced about 6oz (dry weight), and I still have more to harvest off one of them. :)

I also ffound that with my 2 plants, I did some training (lst and tying down) of one of the plants. The result was double the yield of the plant that got no training. The plant on the right in the pic was not trained. the plant on the left was and produced the yield that is in the second pic and there is still about half as much still on the plant as I am giving it another week or two to ripen those buds that I left still on the plant. :)

View attachment BBauto9-3-14.jpg

View attachment IMG_20140921_193917_358.jpg

Thank you very much to everyone here. I'm really enjoying all the studying, tips and experience. I gonna try to figure out a 600HPS and reflectors for the next week.

I have a question about the time to move that for a gallon and the nutrients.

It's the 6° day today and look what I got!

Thank you very much!

View attachment 2014-09-24 12.56.10.jpg

View attachment 2014-09-24 12.56.27.jpg

View attachment 2014-09-24 12.56.39.jpg

View attachment 2014-09-24 12.56.55.jpg

View attachment 2014-09-24 12.57.20.jpg

View attachment 2014-09-24 12.57.34.jpg

Nice :) Now 6c is a bit too cool for them little ones to stay growing. Right now it is critical to keep them kids warm. Make sure you are about 24-27c in your grow space. You say you have a question about the time to move that for a gallon??? Do you mean when should you put those rooters into soil? I would say to keep them moist and warm (but not hot) for a good 7-10 days, or until you see little white roots poking out anywhere. At that point, its time to put them in soil. :)

Get them babies in some keg cups of dirt.... make sure you put drain holes in the bottom and bury 1/2 to 3/4 of that stem under the dirt...

Thanks brother!

I was just wondering if I could put the lights down to have more light. How could I know the best position?

Thanks in advance! :vap-Bong_smoker:

Yes, the light needs to be closer. See how long the stems are getting? This means that the light is too far away or that you do not have enough light. However at this point, they do not need a big light. Get a smaller CFL bulb in a reflector and get them close to the babies.

You can get the lights close without issue so long as they don't get hot. I would say that light can be about 6" above them without any problem, but the best way to tell is to put your hand ove the plants where you are almost touching them, with your palm down. then move the light down and feel how warm your hand gets on the back of it. When your hand begins to feel uncomfortable from the heat of the light, then raise it back up a couple inches and that is where the plants will be comfortable. If you don't have a small fan on them, then its time to get one on them, running on low :)

Thank you very much for all your help!

It's been 12 days! :vap-leafy_wave:

Hushpuppy thanks for the advice! The fan make it pretty cool and its lovely to watch then dancing! The Hemp Goddess I get it! This trick with hands is great! I appreciate.

JustAnotherAntMarching I got the Gallons, but wich one? :farm:

I'm planning to get a 600HPS next week. What do you think I really need now?

Thank you very much for your help.

:vapleaf:

View attachment 2014-10-02 23.03.06.jpg

View attachment 2014-10-02 23.01.11.jpg

View attachment vai.jpg

Looking good so far man, I would do what JAAM said about the solo cups, and lower the light some more using the back of the hand technique from THG.

Latest posts

Back