It's hot in Virginia!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharonp

Reaction score
I had the top of one of my plants get toasted the other day outside. It was over 90 degrees. I had been watering it everyday but it was only in a three gallon pot. How do you keep that from happening? Was the pot just to small? The buds seemed alright though.

Attachments

• budheat.jpg
    budheat.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 0
Is it an outdoor plant or are you growing indoors and giving the plant some sun? Indoor plants need to be hardened off to get acclimated to the sun otherwise the leaves can’t take the intense light.

Is it an outdoor plant or are you growing indoors and giving the plant some sun? Indoor plants need to be hardened off to get acclimated to the sun otherwise the leaves can’t take the intense light.
It has been outside. The temperature on my deck got very hot in the afternoon this past week. This is the first year I have grown outside. So, I wasn't prepared for that intense heat and my plant wasn't either probably.

What have you been feeding it. They usually love sun?
have you been letting the soil dry before you water it?
I live in Virginia too and yes it is a hot summer here.
I had been giving it a bud booster maybe once a week because it was almost finished. I tried to give it a lot of water in between. I will have to pay attention to that next time. The soil would dry up everyday. I don't think I am going to use the three gallon pots outside again. They get rootbound by the end of your grow and it doesn't retain the water good. This is my first year growing outside.

It is worth a try but the cinder block will be a heat sink which may hold and radiate the heat for a longer period of time(once it heats up). Some people ‘bottom feed’ plants by putting them in a tray and watering/feeding from the tray. It wicks the water up into the soil. Evaporation might cool the soil. I would only try this on the hottest days though because wet roots are not good either. Don’t take this as proven fact. I am just spitballing an idea.

How big are your bags? You can turn a 5 gallon bucket over and set your bag on top of it to get it off the concrete.

How about a small chunk of Styrofoam insulation?
Good point. I put my plants on styrofoam insulation in my basement due to the floor being very cool(especially in the winter). It stands to reason that it would insulate against heat too. Styrofoam gets my vote.

I've got big holes drilled in some of my 5 gallon buckets where air can pass thru them. I used them to get my strawberry plants off the ground.

The floor of my deck gets too hot to walk on so maybe the soil is getting too warm.
You can't walk on my deck either. So, the soil had to have gotten to hot. It isn't like the roots are in the ground where they could find a deeper cooler place. I am glad it was just one plant and I think I managed to save the buds. I haven't tried smoking it yet though. It has been nice using the sun because I only have one good light for indoors.

How about a small chunk of Styrofoam insulation?
I actually have big Styrofoam coolers. I get medication in them that has to be shipped at a certain temperature. I hate those things being around the house too. I am suppose to ship them back for recycling but I bet they would insulate the dirt. I could put a 4-5 gallon plant inside one of them right in the felt bag. Great ideas everybody!!

Heck you could even just fold up a pair of pants or t-shirt or something to sit under it to get it off the concrete. You can cover the top of your soil also with perlite to slow down soil evaporation.

Man y'all just solved my problem. I have to move my plants and wasn't sure how I was going to get them off the ground because my pallet is being used. However I have cinder blocks lying around, thank you all.

Heck you could even just fold up a pair of pants or t-shirt or something to sit under it to get it off the concrete. You can cover the top of your soil also with perlite to slow down soil evaporation.
I was wondering if I needed something on top of the soil. It happened so fast because I look at my plant a couple times a day.

Latest posts

Back