JD lighting ballast up in SMOKE!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slowlyburn

Reaction score
Well I got my 600w kit today from JD lighting... Plugged it in and it ran for about 30 seconds before it clicked off and began to smoke... I figured I would make sure it was junk so I tried one more time for a max of 3 seconds and I saw fire inside so I immediately unplugged it... ***!!! lol just my luck. Anyone ever have problems like this right out of the box with a brand new ballast??? I wonder if they will want the whole kit back or just the ballast?

Slowlyburn said:
Well I got my 600w kit today from JD lighting... Plugged it in and it ran for about 30 seconds before it clicked off and began to smoke... I figured I would make sure it was junk so I tried one more time for a max of 3 seconds and I saw fire inside so I immediately unplugged it... ***!!! lol just my luck. Anyone ever have problems like this right out of the box with a brand new ballast??? I wonder if they will want the whole kit back or just the ballast?
More than likely the whole kit, if the the ballast was included in the kit. I haven't had any issues, but that particular manufacturer doesn't ring a bell. It doesn't pay to skimp on lighting or ventilation, I can assure you that. Get yourself a reputable ballast.

getnasty said:
More than likely the whole kit, if the the ballast was included in the kit. I haven't had any issues, but that particular manufacturer doesn't ring a bell. It doesn't pay to skimp on lighting or ventilation, I can assure you that. Get yourself a reputable ballast.

I thought I was doing right... These guys have a 5 year warranty and a 100% feedback on ebay. They looked like the best to me. The product looks like quality. The hood is built extremely well and the ballast looks top notch also. I hope I only have to send back the ballast cause the hood box is MASSIVE...

What?....not another electronic ballast up in smoke. :rolleyes:

I have a Lumatek. They used to put on off switches on them and my on off switch stopped working which is no biggie since I have them on timer anyway. The new ones are minus the on off switch.

It's unfortunate that the failure happened to you. It sucks to get them going and right when you need them they fail. However, with electronics even the best made products have failures. It's the nature of the beast with electronics, and especially with heavy current carrying electronics.

I am sure if you contact the people and tell them what happened, they will exchange the ballast for you, without needing the hood as that would be unnecessary shipping cost. If they give you any kind of run-around (which I doubt will happen) just enlighten them to the fact that you can spread the word to all the peeps on the forum about their service, and report them to Ebay.

Ya I don't really see a run around happening.. It's just going to take 2 times as long now to get a new one cause I'm sure they wouldn't just ship me out a new one without getting there smoked one back. It took about 4 days to get so I am looking at about 2 weeks to get one back.

OK... I talked to the seller today... Nice guy. He sent me a shipping label and told me to call him when I dropped the package off at fed ex and he will send me out the new one tomorrow before he even gets his back. He says this is the first of this he has seen. He also told me that it is policy to email what they find wrong with the defective ballast. Well at least I dont have to send the whole kit back. He only wants the ballast. Guess Ill be lit up next week.

good to hear that they stand behind their product

Got my new tracking number... The new ballast is on its way. It will be here Wednesday. He told me that he personally tested it before he shipped it out to me so everything will be in working order when I get it.

I was able to keep my Apollo ballast and received a new one after it was doa. He also shipped replacement fuses which got the old working, he informed me to keep both for being a loyal custo.

Thats 2 members with good reports on JD lighting sounds like we have a new light supplier on the way

ozzydiodude said:
Thats 2 members with good reports on JD lighting sounds like we have a new light supplier on the way

Well from what the seller tells me... 420magazine forum swears by them. This is MY forum so I couldn't verify that info. I usually find one forum that I like and stick to it... You guys are the best! lol

bubba887 said:
I was able to keep my Apollo ballast and received a new one after it was doa. He also shipped replacement fuses which got the old working, he informed me to keep both for being a loyal custo.

I almost went with Apollo... After talking to both companies over the phone JD had me sold...

Latest posts

Back