Just a few concerns.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

migia

Joseph Cambell's Nirvana
Reaction score
Hello all, still very new to the cultivating scene, I have been planning and slowly gathering supplies for my first outdoor grow. I need advice concerning the time of the year....

I plan to get some beans in the ground no later than last week of May--first week of June (Florida). Is this too late in the summer? Also I still need to purchase the beans (everyonedoesit.com) and was looking for input on strains; short flowering time (if applicable) mold resistance and the like. Initially I was thinking to try autos but have just read so much bad here concerning yield and potency especially in outdoor applications.

Thank you all kindly for the help......
If there are any other objections or concerns about anything else you read in my post that I may not have asked directly, please mention it. Thanks again

i dont know how your weather is.... but you would want to start when the last frost. also around the time when you get the most daylight hours as opposed to night hours. when there are more dark hours the plant signals its coming to an end and begins flowering. Me personally have never grown autos. they do have a different photoperiod as normal strains.

theres a sticky a the top of this section that gives you forecasted frost dates..
in our local, I think they could be in the ground now..;)

Hick said:
theres a sticky a the top of this section that gives you forecasted frost dates..
in our local, I think they could be in the ground now..;)

Thanks for the reply........
Yea the problem is that I cant get them in the ground now, I HAVE to wait until roughly mid-May at the earliest. I was wondering if that is actually too late to start them.

Also I know that I mentioned autos but since creating this thread I have decided against them now. Just want to go with regular photo-period type.

Thanks again for the replies.

It's "plenty" late to be starting from seed, but you'll likely yield something.
I like 12-18" clones to put in June 1.
BUT.... I have a pretty late early frost date, last week of May I believe.

Yea the problem is that I cant get them in the ground now, I HAVE to wait until roughly mid-May at the earliest. I was wondering if that is actually too late to start them.

That is not to late. Gives them six weeks to mature(early July) then you still have plenty of time to flower, especially in Florida.

:yeahthat: ,I'm a Florida grower also.I grew some Super Cali Haze(a super-auto)that done pretty decent outdoors along with some Blue Widow that was a quick flowering plant(not auto).Last year my friend started some in August and it went till first couple weeks of this year(thanks to a really mild winter).They may not get to be monsters but like Hick said,you'll get something.

oldsman said:
:yeahthat: ,I'm a Florida grower also.I grew some Super Cali Haze(a super-auto)that done pretty decent outdoors along with some Blue Widow that was a quick flowering plant(not auto).Last year my friend started some in August and it went till first couple weeks of this year(thanks to a really mild winter).They may not get to be monsters but like Hick said,you'll get something.

Hmmm, I will look into that strain too. Thanks a lot guys.

honestly you can grow anything down there. i would go with indicas just because its better to get your buds in bags sooner rather than later. i would say start your seeds indoors and aim for at least a foot. the odds of any outside factors killing your plants are greatly diminished at that size. mold is a whole other issue. i get it every year every strain. the indicas much less than sativas but its still there. good luck with whatever you choose. and as always be safe.

Mamba3164 said:
honestly you can grow anything down there. i would go with indicas just because its better to get your buds in bags sooner rather than later. i would say start your seeds indoors and aim for at least a foot. the odds of any outside factors killing your plants are greatly diminished at that size. mold is a whole other issue. i get it every year every strain. the indicas much less than sativas but its still there. good luck with whatever you choose. and as always be safe.

This is prolly what I am most concerned about: the mold. Its just so humid in FL. Thanks for your reply sir and I will take this into consideration.

Latest posts

Back