Just an observation about possible sex

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schlendrake

Reaction score
Well I'm overly anxious to see if my 3 new plants are female. They've been growing now for 3 weeks or so and have 9+ internodes. No they're not alternating yet and no positive tell tale sign of sex.

Anyway here are my observation

Obtained c-4,schnazzleberry2, and a house strain from Legend seeds called rgd. The rgd is a cross between a skunk and northern lights.

Think that the snazz is going to be male because of fan leaf color. I can't seem to give it enough nitrogen. Theese leaves are nice and dark around the sides but lighter inbtween the stems. Plants require a higher lvl of nitrogen to produce female. So less nitro also add less color to the leaves.

The c-4 and rgd have a nice deep green to them.
Ive been doseing them with the same neut. mix so obviously the snazz needs a stronger dose.

Since I have been impatient I took out my 100x microscope to look and see if I could see anything yet.

On the c-4 and rgd it seems to have the start of female flowers. Small calyx's seem to be aparent but what really interested me was that theese two plants had trichs all up and down the stalks and not much in the line of hair.

Now the snazz I couldn't really make out anything sex wise but did notice that the stalks were just very hairy and I did not notice any trich production.

So what does all of this mean. Not a thing. lol, but what I am curious to see is if the c-4 and rgd go female and if the snazz goes male. If the c-4 and rgd with the trichs go female could this be an earlier indication of sex then waiting for the flowers. I don't know.:confused:

Of course I'm going to grow them out and see what happens, but just an observation from a stoned grower.

yeah, until 12/12 light/dark cycle... there is no way in any way shape or form to figure it out! =)

Yeah sorta figured that but its something i'm gonna follow on seed germination here on out

Actually, you'll see pre-flowers on your plants without having to put them on a 12/12 schedule.

Rule #1 in growing marijuana: Be patient

Rule #2 in growing marijuana: Be patient some more.

Rule #3 in growing marijuana: Be patient all the way to curing the weed.

Your plants will show pre-flowers when they're ready, or, after they are sexually mature and showing alternating nodes, you can take a cutting from each and flower the cutting for about 10-15 days.

Follow rules number 1, 2 and 3 above and you'll know when they are females or male in due time.

Good luck man!

Thanks for the imput stoney but I was just saying from a scientific standpoint this may be an earlier sign. In all of my readin I never heard of mention of this. Not saying that it hasn't been looked into before but just something that I noticed. It may mean absolutely nothing.

You are right, the only way with this plant is patience and it could be quality that one needs to learn :eek: . Waiting 8-10 weeks for a white widow to flower can be a %^*%^%^(. Or in my case waiting now for near 4 weeks for 3 plants to show signs of sex can be nerveracking.

Hey one question on cloning for sex. How accurate is that? I don't know if I would trust that. Imo you're now putting the cutting into unneeded stress before sexing, so I would think that this would increase the likelyhood of showing male gender in the clone and not nessesrily the whole plant.

I know that if you have a female and stress it it may very well go into being a hermie. Some seed companies do this, collect the pollen, pollenate a female, get it to seed and call the seeds feminized. While truely they should be called hermaphrodized since the tendency will always be there to go hermie even under near perfect conditions.

Anyway jmo.

schlendrake said:
Hey one question on cloning for sex. How accurate is that?

It's 100% accurate. It's been proven about a zillion times.

I've never heard of anyone doing a study that showed this to be anything but 100% accurate.

When taking a cutting, you should always use a razor, or something as sharp and take the cutting on a 45 degree to expose more of the inner stem to the rooting hormone/antibacterial solution you put them into.

No appreciable stress is recognized by the cutting.

If you were to mash the stem until it wore it off and then put it into chlorinated water under a two hour a day light, then maybe you could make a Hermie, who knows. If you take a cutting and treat it as I've described above, you'll have a genetically identical clone of the host plant.

Interesting I'll have to give it a try then on the next batch from seed.
Thanx again stoney

schlendrake said:
I'll have to give it a try then on the next batch from seed.

Hahahaaha, which one? The razor or the mashing?

StinkBud said:
Am I the only one to notice this, but when I have a plant that turns out to be male, there's usually a few signs. 1) he's the first to break soil, 2) developes his first fan leaves earlier 3) 'reaches' less for the lights, 4) is usually a half shade darker than the girls, 4) slightly Shorter, and alot fuller that the girls too.

Maybe it's the strain I'm growing these days, a bit of northern lights, but every time I've come across a male, I always knew ahead of time. Grew them anyway though....just in case I'm wrong. ;)

I find they are always the most healthy looking and biggest, lushest looking plants b4 flowering.

So stoney I tried cloning for sex but the wife said it would be like cheating if I cloned one of her and I said well no it wouldn't because it would be you................OOOPS wrong thought.

Anyway I took some cuttings and put them in water tonight with a 12/12. Did I see in another post that this is all that you do to force sexing?

It's interesting to see that other people have noticed a specific grow pattern in their crop when differntiating sex. I guess that we'll see if my observation holds any water.

schlendrake said:
I took some cuttings and put them in water tonight with a 12/12. Did I see in another post that this is all that you do to force sexing?

It's interesting to see that other people have noticed a specific grow pattern in their crop when differentiating sex. I guess that we'll see if my observation holds any water.

Yes, lots of people use 20/20 hindsight to say a plant did this or a plant did that, but if you were to try using growth characteristics to determine sex, you'd be wrong about half the time. That was done in a study I read one time. Seeing the flowers is the only sure way, and if you were to take it from a branch that has, (for some reason), turned Hermie, then your cutting will show male when the rest of the plant may be female. For a Host plant, the only sure way would be to flower an entire crop of cuttings from her, taking one cutting from every branch on the plant.

I just use one cutting to sex and I put it into an aeroponic unit with half strength vegetative nutes. They start rooting in about 7 days and at 15 days they have a 6 inch root mass and have started their vegetative growth while in the aeroponic system. That's when I transplant into the hydroponic system.

I didn't realize there was a study done on this. Oh well just my mind working overtime I guess. Thanks for everything stoney.

Well all the results are in and they were all male :eek: . So I guess that what I saw doesn't mean a $%&*()_ thing. Oh well looks like stoney has said, and as we all know, patience is the only way.

bad luck about your plants dude.

Just go and get yourself some seeds and start again :p and when you get a female CLONE IT! lol

Aint no big thing. I have a wite widow mother. Justed wanted a taste of something else.

schlendrake said:
Thanks for the imput stoney but I was just saying from a scientific standpoint this may be an earlier sign. In all of my readin I never heard of mention of this. Not saying that it hasn't been looked into before but just something that I noticed. It may mean absolutely nothing.

You are right, the only way with this plant is patience and it could be quality that one needs to learn :eek: . Waiting 8-10 weeks for a white widow to flower can be a %^*%^%^(. Or in my case waiting now for near 4 weeks for 3 plants to show signs of sex can be nerveracking.

Does white widow take an unusually long time to flower :eek: ? Thats what I'm growing...first time grower and very impatient. Any way to speed it along??

Whiskey Agogo said:
Does white widow take an unusually long time to flower :eek: ? Thats what I'm growing...first time grower and very impatient. Any way to speed it along??

No it doesn't. From flower to harvest in a SOG I was able to get it down to a seven week harvest with satisfactory results for me. My harvest the hairs are still white but the trichs are cear/cloudy which is what you need to look at, the trichs not the hairs.

This harvest 1 obtained 1/2lb+ dry total weight out of 4 plants, one of which was in a 1 gallon pot. Go light on the neuts or they will burn, at least mine did. I noticed my flowers put on an aditional 25% more size in the last 2 weeks before harvest. This plant will tell you what it needs. Sounds funny but true.

Latest posts

Back