Just bought an EZ Clone. Any tips?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless you threw them away, they may come back in a few hrs by just turning it back on.

Worth a try anyway...

No questions thank you pj

I'll keep it "real" and keep using my ziplock Rockwool cuts that I "set and forget" until rooted with no pH'n or cleaning systems when your done with them.

As you later stated the EZ cloner is not for everyone and certainly not for me, this does not make me close minded lol
Maybe close minded was the wrong use of words?

I am not sure what you call someone who can not understand basic math and realize your cost for producing clones is 8 times the cost however easy or hard it may be.

But hey, keep throwing out your method as a comparison.
:hairpull:

DISASTER !!!!!!!

I was checking the Ph and temp in the EZ Clone last night and I forgot to turn it back on when I was done. This morning all the clones are wilted real real bad. Not sure how many I am going to loose on this error but it is a lesson learned.

Just goes to show..... nothing is idiot proof. LMAO

I'll let you know how it goes.

Been there, done that. Should be fine.

Yeah, they are already just fine. LOL I love drama. LOL

As "you" stated EZ clones are not for everyone and I don't see them being suitable for my needs or those of my clients.
Yet you decided to come in to a thread on a different method to interject your way is better and make it all about you.

Good job!

Hey..... quit messin' up my thread. LOL

Sounds like my wife and mother in law when they get together.

LMAO... no problem. Off topic is my middle name. LOL

Also, the clones seem back to normal today but I wonder what that little mistake did to root development. They say that roots like a dry/wet environment..... well, they got it. LOL

Still, I am tempted to pull a clone out of the dirt just to compare the root growth with the EZ Clone. After all, it IS an experiment. ;) I will wait the full 15 days and then maybe I'll wash the dirt off one just to compare.

Hackerman, I had roots showing through the dirt at 7 days, at 14 days there should be no need to wash dirt off to see roots.

I was thinking that same thing after I posted it. The evidence out the bottom should be a good indicator.

I think I am at day 6 already so I should be showing something soon.

Just bought an EZ Clone 16. $200. Outrageous for what this is. DIY would be the way to go.

Any tips? I did watch a bunch of instructional videos on YouTube. Seems pretty simple.

Water temp? Mine is about 80F

Ph? Mine is 7.4 but as it runs, I am adding a tiny bit of Down as it circulates so I will bring it down to about 6.5 unless any of you tell me different.

I used the green cloning gel that came with the unit but I am sure it's all washed off by now.

Do I still mist the plant leaves like I do when cloning in medium?

I also put a bunch of clones in soil today. I split the clones into 4 test groups.

One group is in the EZ Clone
One is in Fox Farms Light Warrior Seed Starter
One is in Fox Farms Happy Frog Potting Soil
and the last group is in 1/2 Light Warrior and 1/2 Happy Frog.

I further broke the soil clones down into 2 sub groups within each group. One sub group used a powder rooter called Root Tone. The other group used Clonex Gel.

We'll see how this EZ Clone compares to my old fashioned soil. My guess is that it will fare about as well as BHO vs Ice Hash. LOL

After all, it IS a hobby.

Build your own, and spend the remainder $150.00 on some serious seeds ....lol
many DIY cloners on the web, I built mine 5 years ago and never looked back, but one thing I should say is ....READ THE MANUAL ...lol

good luck

"V"

I'll post some pics tomorrow but after 14 days, the Fox Farms Light Warrior is the clear winner.

All 6 clones have roots coming out of the bottom of a 3"x3" starter tray.

The 6 clones that were 1/2 Light Warrior and half Happy Frog have a couple that have roots showing.

The 6 clones that are in the straight Happy Frog have not shown roots yet but the clones still look healthy. A little burn on a couple. The Happy Frog is clearly a little too hot for straight cloning. It is working, but not as well as the other options.

The one I am really disappointed in is the EZ Clone. The little bumps from last week are really not much bigger. A little but not much. I have seen some reports and pics of nice long roots after 14 days. PH is pretty steady at 5.5 to 5.9. Water temp is 77 to 80F. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

Like I said, I will post some pics tomorrow if I get time but I was really hoping for more from the EZ Clone. I took 1/2 of them and re-dipped them in Clonex rooting gel.

Just keeping you updated.

Go Light Warrior.

Are you using nutes in your easy clone? That's what you need to do to grow the roots past those nubs.

No I'm not. I was wondering how long they could go without anything to eat. 14 days is a long time.

What kind/mix of nutes do you recommended?

OK, here are some pics.

The first 2 show the top side. Everything looks OK.

The next 2 shots are the roots coming out of the bottom of the Light Warrior. All 6 look about like this.

The next shot is the roots coming out of the 1/2 and 1/2. Most of the 6 have this going on.

No root signs from the Happy Frog so no pics. :)

The last 2 shots are the EZ Clone. The back 2 rows are 14 days old and the front 2 rows are 7 days old. The 14 day old clones look a lot like they did at 7 days.

Yesterday I dipped the right 2 rows in cloning gel.

Anyone else for adding nutes to the mix? PJ?

View attachment clones081014-1.jpg

View attachment clones081014-2.jpg

View attachment clones081014-3.jpg

View attachment clones081014-4.jpg

View attachment clones081014-5.jpg

View attachment clones081014-6.jpg

View attachment clones081014-7.jpg

Just bought an EZ Clone. Any tips?

So many it'll make ya head spin ...lol
With my DIY bubble cloner I never use nutes why??? theres no way the sticks in the cloner can drink or ge the benefit of the nute in the first place....go fugure!!!

Nute at this stage creates bacteria, should your temp be to high??
Beside most cloners have established roots in less than 2 weeks, 10-12 days for me, and is way to short, to be feeding any plant food...lol

Understand what you are doing... is simple "Cambium Engineering" the simple process of growing roots out of the underlying tissue of the plants outer skin(bark)
do this best requires darkness as the hormone(epi....?) to be totally active needs no light, so once you get hassles with you ezy thing ...paint it black and clean each run, after with common household bleach.
One of the most VIP this to learn is to cut your clone to the right "size" and trim excess leaf off is a skill to master, or better just copy the way they do it in dispensaries ..lol

The position on the plant you take the clone is vital, as again there is more corrective(hormone) on the lower laterals, also less (N) to flush out, leaving the finer upper most branches to grow the bud fro you to smoke ...lol
first thing in the morning is the best time, as there is less activity inside the plant...should be dormant.
Change you water every weak, don't use a cover or dome, thats dumb and un necessary ....READ THE MANUAL ....lol
File:Stem-cross-section2.jpg

good luck
"V"
ps see it for what it is...is not magic but "Cambium Engineering"

With my DIY bubble cloner I never use nutes why??? theres no way the sticks in the cloner can drink or ge the benefit of the nute in the first place....go fugure!!!

Nute at this stage creates bacteria, should your temp be to high??
Beside most cloners have established roots in less than 2 weeks, 10-12 days for me, and is way to short, to be feeding any plant food...lol

....READ THE MANUAL ....lol

The manual says to use nutes. Did YOU read it. LMAO

So far we have 1 FOR nutes and 1 AGAINST nutes.

And, I still don't know why I don't have roots after 14 days.

all those white nodes are roots.... give them a few days and they will look like hair...

That's what you said last week. LOL

There's a guy about 8 posts up with a picture of foot long roots after 2 weeks.

I am obviously doing SOMETHING wrong. LMAO

Do you have trouble thinking for yourself ...I think not, but explain briefly how a cutting may absorb these nutes(food) when there is no way that the plant can turn that food to energy, you really just want the phototropic motor to tick over(guys speak) so use a low end red,(warm white) cfl at best, I don't use home water but prefer to buy in water.

there are many inaccuracies in the manual, that will be revealed to you in coming months, but by memory these ezy boxs are expensive, so do get your money back in the long term

No I'm not. I was wondering how long they could go without anything to eat. 14 days is a long time.

What kind/mix of nutes do you recommended?

I use gh 3 part. I prefer a schedule I got at growweedeasy.com. I've done both and they work fine, it's just seedling strength.

Latest posts

Back