Just bought an EZ Clone. Any tips?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hackerman

Reaction score
Just bought an EZ Clone 16. $200. Outrageous for what this is. DIY would be the way to go.

Any tips? I did watch a bunch of instructional videos on YouTube. Seems pretty simple.

Water temp? Mine is about 80F

Ph? Mine is 7.4 but as it runs, I am adding a tiny bit of Down as it circulates so I will bring it down to about 6.5 unless any of you tell me different.

I used the green cloning gel that came with the unit but I am sure it's all washed off by now.

Do I still mist the plant leaves like I do when cloning in medium?

I also put a bunch of clones in soil today. I split the clones into 4 test groups.

One group is in the EZ Clone
One is in Fox Farms Light Warrior Seed Starter
One is in Fox Farms Happy Frog Potting Soil
and the last group is in 1/2 Light Warrior and 1/2 Happy Frog.

I further broke the soil clones down into 2 sub groups within each group. One sub group used a powder rooter called Root Tone. The other group used Clonex Gel.

We'll see how this EZ Clone compares to my old fashioned soil. My guess is that it will fare about as well as BHO vs Ice Hash. LOL

After all, it IS a hobby.

Damn dude HTG got an 8 site one for $50... it works great... I double up cuts and get 16 in there no prob.... Ph should be around 5.7 for hydro around 6.5 for soil... Ive experimented with my last batch of clones in my bucket and didn't ph at all and had roots on all in around 10-11 days with no rooting powder or gel... I do like using clonex rooting solution in my res tho... the powder will not work well with the ez cloner as the powder will just wash off the stems and settle on the bottom of the res...

Just bought an EZ Clone 16. $200. Outrageous for what this is. DIY would be the way to go.

Any tips? I did watch a bunch of instructional videos on YouTube. Seems pretty simple.

Water temp? Mine is about 80F

Ph? Mine is 7.4 but as it runs, I am adding a tiny bit of Down as it circulates so I will bring it down to about 6.5 unless any of you tell me different.

I used the green cloning gel that came with the unit but I am sure it's all washed off by now.

Do I still mist the plant leaves like I do when cloning in medium?

I also put a bunch of clones in soil today. I split the clones into 4 test groups.

One group is in the EZ Clone
One is in Fox Farms Light Warrior Seed Starter
One is in Fox Farms Happy Frog Potting Soil
and the last group is in 1/2 Light Warrior and 1/2 Happy Frog.

I further broke the soil clones down into 2 sub groups within each group. One sub group used a powder rooter called Root Tone. The other group used Clonex Gel.

We'll see how this EZ Clone compares to my old fashioned soil. My guess is that it will fare about as well as BHO vs Ice Hash. LOL

After all, it IS a hobby.
Your PH is way high, so get that down to 5.8 and do it right away no need to sneak up where it needs to be.

If your water is going to be that high temp, make sure and get yourself some "Clear Rez" by EZ clone as it will help killing off the bad spores that will grow at that temp.

You can set the entire unit in a large tray like a concrete mixing pan from Home Deport or the like, add some water and make it a lot harder for the main pump to heat it to 80.

Before all that though, I'd read the directions.
;)

It came with some clear rez so I added that per the instructions (yeah, I read them. LOL).

I will get the PH straight today.

Do I mist these leaves like I do mt regular clones?

Why is pH such an issue if there are no nutrients for the plants to uptake?

I also have to mist my plants even when in a bubble cloner. My RH gets down to like 12% sometimes.

So, to Ph or not Ph. To mist or not to mist. LMAO

I don't suppose it will hurt to bring the Ph down. Although, like HG said, and I have read, since the plants are not taking up nutes, why does the Ph matter?

Still, that's an easy fix so I'll do it anyway.

As far as misting, I'll just watch them.

Thanks

$200 !

WOW

4x sandwich bags and 16x Rockwool cubes is all I'll ever need to spend on 16 cuttings

You were way overspending. All I ever needed was 16 handfuls of dirt. LMAO

Still, it's something new to me and I like learning new things while I'm still young and open-minded.

And, actually, I don't think it was $200. I did buy some nutes that day so I think the EZ Clone was about $150 of that. Still, outrageous when compared to the cost to build you own.

I am a multi-tasker. LOL I am working on all of them at the same time. I just take it nice and easy. LOL

I tried rockwool a bunch of times and never had real good success with it. Not sure why. But, like everything else, what works for one person.......

Jiffy peats were the worse. Just plain old grow soil (same soil that they would spend the rest of their lives in) seemed to always work great for me.

But, I have to keep in mind the strain that I grew for decades is very different than what I am trying to grow today. It was very strong. Cloning was almost always 99%. MG nutes and 8.5PH water and they still did fine. LOL These new hybrids are an entirely different game.

I don't think I need to spend any more money on the grow room. I think I need to learn how to use what I have recently bought and get that all working 110%. Going from a 400w to a 1000w light brought on an entirely new set of problems. I needed to get by all of those... and then some. Going well, so far. I think I will have just about everything dialed in just in time for the next crop to go in there in a couple weeks.

At least, thanks to all of you, I should have it dialed in. LOL

u gonna love the ez cloner---i put together a diy 35 site orangesunshine version of the ez cloner from a tote and absolutely love it---uses rockwool cubes for plugs that go directly into the soil when the clones grow legs---still dip in gel and clonex solution---used to ph to 5.5 till my pen took a sheit---even talked my boss into a couple of them big boy units---we be using straight r/o water in his---imo---they are the only way to clone---great investment---peace :yay:

I have an easy cloned 16 site and I will never go back to rock wool, soil, or any other method that has worked in the past. A few tips: get a timer 15 on 15 off-it will lower res temps and speed rooting; do lower ph I go 5.7-5.9, do use nutes-you will have roots fast!; let your roots get a foot long-easy to start in hydro I do dwc and set roots through net pot to the water then put in stones. For nutes I use general hydroponics trio .5, .1, .5 mil per gallon.

I'm on schedule to go from slip to flip in 5 weeks. I could never go that fast with rock wool or soil.

Why is pH such an issue if there are no nutrients for the plants to uptake?

I also have to mist my plants even when in a bubble cloner. My RH gets down to like 12% sometimes.
What makes you think PH can be anywhere if there are no nutes would be a better question? Pretty well documented plants in hydro require them to be between 5.5 and 6.5. There may be no food, but there are still hormones involved.

RH is thrown right out the window in bubble, mister type cloners and makes ZERO difference so long as the root zone is at 100%/wet.

I can assure you if your PH is spot on, everything will root. If you're having issues with roots, it's your PH, not RH.

$200 !

WOW

4x sandwich bags and 16x Rockwool cubes is all I'll ever need to spend on 16 cuttings

Have fun with your new equipment

So that's 8 bucks for 16 rooted cuts [roughly] and the EZ cloner after initial investment is maybe a buck if that to run it for 10 to 15 days. While they may not be for everyone, there is a certainly a place for them and run properly you can set it and forget it the entire time.

do use nutes-you will have roots fast!
While that may work for you, it is not recommended and is surly not the way they were intended to be run. It specifically states to not run anything and they work much better with nothing.

If the directions are followed to a tee, you should have near 100% success every run. If you veer from them you will most certainly fail over time.

They also state not to mist plants.

It does work for me and recommendations are for the masses, especially when you know some people who buy your product can't handle complicated instructions.

I can put strait bottled spring water in mine and roots in 2 weeks, but my method I have roots in 4-6 days and they want nutes. ALTHOUGH, NOT MUCH N, new roots don't like N.

That's why the recommendations and the fact that people grow more than cannabis with them.

Ok

Here is an example of my method, because it's hot and my res temps are 80f, it took a week to root and this photo is 16 days. I took the other clones out 4 days ago. This poor girl is extra and will be culled. If you do DWC this is perfect if you do soil plant after one week.

In the winter I can root in 4 days since res temps are low. I know many people who don't ph or nutes till they get roots, but why would I with these results:

View attachment uploadfromtaptalk1406653523863.jpgView attachment uploadfromtaptalk1406653540871.jpg

A hard core pro might be able to do this with rockwool, but I doubt it and I set it and forget it. I just transfer to DWC on my schedule. No waiting watching wondering nothing truly an ezclone experience.

Well, my PH is steady at 5.8 and the water temp is a pretty regular 79F. I put a small fan blowing on the base of the unit and it seems to be just fine.

Unfortunately, I have to leave the door [on the cloning closet] open and this makes the general temp in the closet about 77F instead of my usual 80 - 84F. 77 is a tiny bit too cool for the clones that are in soil.

So far, everything looks very nice. We'll see in 10 days or so.

Thanks for all the input, gang.

I look forward to seeing how you fare with the different methods Hackerman.

Well, my PH is steady at 5.8 and the water temp is a pretty regular 79F. I put a small fan blowing on the base of the unit and it seems to be just fine.

Unfortunately, I have to leave the door [on the cloning closet] open and this makes the general temp in the closet about 77F instead of my usual 80 - 84F. 77 is a tiny bit too cool for the clones that are in soil.

So far, everything looks very nice. We'll see in 10 days or so.

Thanks for all the input, gang.

Yeah kinda tough on those in soil, but you'll love your easy clone. At your res temps look for roots starting in 4-5 days.

Lol Pj

$8 for 16 cuts in rockwool cubes inside ziplocks that I don't check for 7 days and then open the baggies roll the sides down and leave them till roots pop sounds very good to me. Even more so as my cuts sell for £10 or at today's exchange rate $16.82 per cut. Rockwool is also excellent for transplanting into most mediums. I couldn't sell bare rooted cuts. Rockwool stasis cuts and postal cuts are also another things that I like to do, that the ez cloner couldn't do.
So while your maths at first may have looked good to you, I think I'll stick with my ziplocks and rockwool cubes, cheers

What you failed to see was that first I said they are not for everyone.

Obviously you are one of those, and you could have stopped there keeping it real. Honestly I could give a ratts what you can do, and my remarks were not at you, but more information to someone else who is not quite as close minded as yourself.

The point was made that it costs you 8 times more to produce the same cut.

Throw out the fact of what you do and look at the fact I provided.

Any questions?

All I can say is...... I am impressed.

I looked under the lid yesterday and every single clone had little white bumps. Today, those bumps are little tiny roots.

Pretty neat.

And, this test was a torture test for me. All the good clones went into dirt. The only thing that went into the EZ Clone was the garbage and the trimmings from the good clones. About 5 or 6 of these only had about 1/16" stem sticking out of the rubber boot. Even those had little roots.

I was so impressed that I took out the 8 or 9 worse ones and replaced them with real nice new cuttings.

To further the torture routine, I took the little tiny clones and put them in dirt under the 400w HID. We'll see how/if they root.

I can't say how well they are doing compared to the clones in the soil because I can't (obviously) see the roots. Another week and I should know how well the soil clones are doing.

Again, hats off to the bubble cloner. Pretty neat idea.

DISASTER !!!!!!!

I was checking the Ph and temp in the EZ Clone last night and I forgot to turn it back on when I was done. This morning all the clones are wilted real real bad. Not sure how many I am going to loose on this error but it is a lesson learned.

Just goes to show..... nothing is idiot proof. LMAO

I'll let you know how it goes.

View attachment oops.jpg

Latest posts

Back