Just bought Microgarden 14x30 Ebb&Flow 8-Plant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sicnarf said:
http://www.hydroasis.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=H&Product_Code=MG

I just bought this and I wonder if I made the right puchase. Is this a good system? Anyone ever use it? Stoney, what do you think man? (I bought it for 139 usd)
I've never used that unit, but from what I could see of it and the description, it looks like a good unit.

How tall of a plant do you intend to have at harvest time? You can grow 4 plants if you flower them as soon as they reach maturity. If you intend to grow larger, then I would recommend only one plant. Sex your plants prior to putting them into the unit.

Let me know what you need help on.

Stoney, I plan to grow my plants to about 4-5 feet tops, but have room if they grow a littler taller. I'm going to be growing white widow seeds that I just ordered too. It says it's an 8 plant site...I wont be able to get 8 full plants at 5foot each out of this unit?

Sex your plants prior to putting them into the unit.

So, this means ill need another cheapy hydro system for starting my babies out in. Ok, I was thinking about buying a 50 USD bubbler unit on ebay for vegging . I think this would be ok.

I kind of wanted to use the Microgrow ebb and flow unit for the entire process. I figured if I germinated 8 seeds then I could possible get at least 4 females and go from there. I'll be PM'ing you Stoney Bud once all my materials come in. Thanks yall.

Also, I plan to flower once they do reach maturity (about 24 inches)

sicnarf said:
Stoney, I plan to grow my plants to about 4-5 feet tops, but have room if they grow a littler taller. I'm going to be growing white widow seeds that I just ordered too. It says it's an 8 plant site...I wont be able to get 8 full plants at 5foot each out of this unit?
I'm sorry, I misunderstood the size of the unit. It's 13 inches by 40 inches? How deep is it?
How big is the entire grow area, (without the pots), including the height? How tall is your light? How tall is the entire unit from the floor to the top of the uppermost surface?
What type of grow media will you be using? Which nutes are you using? How many gph is your pump? What's the configuration of the fill and drain openings?

These are all questions I need answers to. I think you may have answered some of them, but I don't remember which thread it was in.

The cubic feet of your grow area and the amount of root area are two limiting factors. I have a 3.5 x 5.5 grow area that is FILLED to the max by 4 plants. The WW you intend to grow will need half of your grow box for each plant if you are growing them to 4-5 feet tall. That's all the area for roots that you have. You can fill your entire grow area with only these two plants.

sicnarf said:
So, this means ill need another cheapy hydro system for starting my babies out in. Ok, I was thinking about buying a 50 USD bubbler unit on ebay for vegging . I think this would be ok.
If you were to sex the plants in your final grow box, and one was male, you couldn't get it back out of the grow chamber at that point without damaging your other plant. That's why you need to start them in another unit and then move them into the main unit when you're sure they are female. After the plants are in the final grow container, you can't flex the unit, or move the media, or move the plants. To do so would very possibly hurt them. You could use either a drip system or a bubbler to grow the pre-sexed plants in until they are large enough to take a cutting from. Then, flower the cutting, not the vegging plant. This will keep your vegging plant growing good. When growing with Hydroponics, it's always best to have a pre-sexing grow box and a main grow area.

sicnarf said:
I kind of wanted to use the Microgrow ebb and flow unit for the entire process. I figured if I germinated 8 seeds then I could possible get at least 4 females and go from there. I'll be PM'ing you Stoney Bud once all my materials come in. Thanks yall.

Also, I plan to flower once they do reach maturity (about 24 inches)
If you will, lets keep it in the Hydro area for discussion so that everyone can learn from your grow. PM me to point out a post if you like, but lets start a "Journal" for you in the Journal area. That would help everyone.

If you use the unit for the entire process, it would be impossible to remove any males without hurting your female plants. The individual pots are kind of pointless to your grow and may even slow the growth rate of your plants. Just fill the entire unit with the media and put your sexed plants into it so the top of the root ball is two inches below the surface of the media. How is your water level regulated? Is it adjustable? We'll need to discuss some more procedures before you start your grow so that you understand what you're doing before anything can go wrong. You and I can get you going real fast. Tell me what I've asked and then I can tell you more.

I'm sorry, I misunderstood the size of the unit. It's 13 inches by 40 inches? How deep is it?
How big is the entire grow area, (without the pots), including the height? How tall is your light? How tall is the entire unit from the floor to the top of the uppermost surface?
What type of grow media will you be using? Which nutes are you using? How many gph is your pump? What's the configuration of the fill and drain openings?

The ebb and flow unit itself measures 30inches long x 14inches Wide x 17inches High. The actual flooding tray is 7inches deep. The tray has eight 5" white square pots for the growing. Each square is 7inches deep.

My grow set up will be: 47" Long x 20" deep x 72" inches High Note: it's a cabinet im buying. It will also have a 110 CMF 1.5 sones bathroom exhaust fan.

My lights: 2 250watt HPS. Batwing type reflectors. 18" Long x 18 Wide x 8" High

I'll be using Hydrton growing media and Rock-Wool Cubes. Power Series Nutrients & Blend organic nutrient--this comes with the unit, but I may switch to Flora Series.

I don't know the GPH on the pump yet or the fitting configurations. I will once the unit come in and keep in my journal (Less than a week to ship it)

How is your water level regulated? Is it adjustable?

I'll know this too once it comes in. But in the mean time I'm busy trying to figure that out online.

Thanks a lot too. Maybe I can have this thread moved to the journal section, if not I will create one once I am ready rock and roll. 2 Weeks tops.

OK, unit just came in today and I quickly ran some test on it using regular water in my bath tub. I knew these systems (ebb + flow) were easy in operation, but seeing it operate right before my eyes made it look idiot proof. Simple to use. It came with 1 pint each Triflex series nutrients (Base, Grow and Bloom formulas). I can line the tray with 8 5" square pots or have the option to grow without them using Hydrotron clay pellets. I am still waiting on my White Widow before I start to rock n' roll.

Up date: Grow cabinet, 180CMF hydro farm squirrel cage fan, Velcro and weather-strip all came into day. Seeds are yet to ship. I also bought 10litres of hydrotron, Flora Series 3 system nutes, 1" and 5" rockwool cubes.

1. need to assemble cabinet, cut a 4" inch exhaust hole for fan and apply wheather- strip along doors and openings.
***Grow journal will be started in the Journal section once operation begins. And a of questions to come.

sicnarf said:
Up date: Grow cabinet, 180CMF hydro farm squirrel cage fan, Velcro and weather-strip all came into day. Seeds are yet to ship. I also bought 10litres of hydrotron, Flora Series 3 system nutes, 1" and 5" rockwool cubes.

1. need to assemble cabinet, cut a 4" inch exhaust hole for fan and apply wheather- strip along doors and openings.
***Grow journal will be started in the Journal section once operation begins. And a of questions to come.
It sounds like you're almost ready to go for it.

How are you going to grow your seedlings from germination? I don't put my seedlings into the grow chambers until they're at least 4 to 6 inches tall.

Ty mutt.

How are you going to grow your seedlings from germination? I don't put my seedlings into the grow chambers until they're at least 4 to 6 inches tall.

I think I'm going to have to make/buy a small hydro system for starting my seeds out in. Any recomendations? I want to flower 4 plants, what size tray would I need for my starter system?

UPDATE: the cabinet is put together, sealed and weatherstriped. I have a very powerful 180 CFM fan for this 6'x2'x4' area and 2 6"x12" white metal inlet vents...nothing wrong with over doing the ventilation is there? Waiting on SEEDS and camera for you folks!

UPDATE: Hi all, before I start snapping pictures of my grow I want to say this site has made it a lot easier. thanks to all. I have my system ready to grow and its put me into unknown waters. I'm kinda nervous about starting now..lol I mean I went from a closet growing a female clone turned hermi in MG soil with crappy nutes (R.I.P hermi) to a really more advanced system involving more effort, time and awareness of whats going on around you. BUt, whos to let the small things stop someone from growing their own bud? Ready, set...grow.

P1010004.jpg

Ok, my first set of pictures are in. Here is my grow cabinet I've been working on. My WW seeds just came into day as well. Enjoy the grow room pics.

You can see the 185 CFM fan at the top and ducting to outside/
You can notice 2 6"x12" passive air intake vents
250 w HPS
Ebb and flow system. 30"x 14"

P1010002.jpg

Floor and vents (two 6" x 12" for passive air intake)

P1010006.jpg

Latest posts

Back