Just Right Xtra & Fox Farm Nutes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

accid

Hello all. So I am switching from FFOF to Just Right Xtra. My first question is can I use my whole line of fox farm nutes (open sesame, cha ching, tier bloom, etc.. the WHOLE line) on this soil?

From my understanding, just right xtra is more along the lines of hydro in regarding to the ph. I read that the ph levels of the water should be about 6.0. Also, when i put ntues in the water, i want to get it at about 6.0 as well. Could someone who knows their stuff confirm or deny this?

Thirdly, because just right xtra is coco based, I will be needing calmag... do I need anything else such as coco a + b? If so, what does coco a+ b have that my fox farm nutrient line doesnt?

Hope someone out there could help me out. Thanks a bunch in advance!

It appears that Just Right Extra is organic soil. If you use chem nutes, it will kill the good stuff in the soil.

From my experience( and it is only 2 grows) be very carefull with the FF lineup as far as nutes.. Their FFOF soil is a gr8 soil ( exspensive) but extra good. If you use that be carefull because each of my grows I have burnt plants with the Grow big ( chemical nute) The Big Bloom they seem to absolutly LOVE and can handle it. From now on I am only going to use The Big bloom.. The FFOF soil has numerous organic nutes already in it Bat guano. Oyster shell Some kind of seaweed.. Really your plants will love it without any nutes. Use the Big bloom and it will feed the soil and maybe buy the microbe and kagaroots it will help with the organic microisims in the root area.I am not familar with the just right extra but love the FFOF if I let it work and not try to add to it.. JMO Hero

Hey, FF nutrients are excellent. Have used it for some tiem now. The key is to follow the fox farm feeding chart. Im not sure if you are aware that there is a chart. You need a good meter to detect PPM and PH... not a crappy 30-50 dollar one. make sure your measurement are accurate and to do so you need measuring spoon or whatever form is accurate.

Anyhow, Im curious to know how it will react with Just Right Xtra. I may just lower the dose and buy some calmag. Any suggestions for you seasoned growers? Im not a noob so don't be scared to get technical. Thanks in advance. (Im no pro either by all means).

I am new but I don't know why someone would buy organic $22.00 a bag soil, then use chemical nutes that destroy the microbs in the soil? I am curious as to your answer.. Still learning here. Hero

accid said:
Hey, FF nutrients are excellent. Have used it for some tiem now. The key is to follow the fox farm feeding chart. Im not sure if you are aware that there is a chart. You need a good meter to detect PPM and PH... not a crappy 30-50 dollar one. make sure your measurement are accurate and to do so you need measuring spoon or whatever form is accurate.

Charts should only be used as guidelines. There is one one nutrient schedule that is right for all strains. Being a slave to nutrient schedules can be a mistake. You need to start out with a weak nutrient solution and work up to a point that is right for whatever strain you are growing. I increase ppms until I get a little nute burn and then back off a tad.

Hero, I was using FFOF but then purchased some Just Right Xtra... I was unaware that chem nutes would do harm... I am stuck with it now.

Go with the Big Bloom.. my plants love it. I read. re read the FF soil schedual. I think its just too much.. I do use the Microbe and the Kagaroots and think flushing with the Sledgehammer before flower and before harvest is a good idea.. You just dont use the Sledgehammer> they reccomend using the Big bloom with it. I readup on that soil and its even more exspensive than Ocean Forest. I learned here from many of the accomplished growers that even thou Ocean Forest comes Pre-PH'd. That its a good idea to add some Dolimite Lime to it and a few cups of perlite for root areation.. Good luck Accid.. Hero

It is a misconception that "chemical" nutes will kill the biological activity in soil. Applied correctly, taking care not to over feed and cause salts build up, and you (and the microbes) will be fine.

If the environment is good- containing some organic matter- which most soil / soil-less mixtures contain- it's all good.

I never knew that BBfan. Im def going to research that. Tap water thou with things like Cholramine will ,I know.. I , at the suggestion of Wet dog went out and purchased some Prime water treatment stuff for aquariums.. It does say on the bottle. add 2 drops per gallon of water to kill Chorline and Choramine.. I am still learning here BB fan.. Don't have the room to mix or make my own soils and compost but do want to keep it as organic as possible.. Thanks for the info. Hero

I have been feeding my plants growing in FFOF a combination of GH 3 part and FF Big Bloom -- They seem to love the change in diet -- I'm also using Cha Ching with both nutes -- I feed with GH, then the next time Big Bloom and the next time water w/calmag. What I am doing seems to be working pretty good. New pics in my GJ :)

Peace

Nice Hemper, My thinking ( lookout. lol ) is that after I transplant my plants at about 10 inchs tall. into 3.7 gallon pots. I have been told. that the FFOF is good without nutes for approxiamtly 4 to 5 weeks. That the organic mix of earth worm castings . bat guano.sea kelp is sufficient for that time period and they do not need anything else so if this is true I shouldnt need nutes until the last 4 weeks of flower? Dont know. still learning here. Hero

What water ph should i be giving just right xtra? With and without nutrients... I was informed that I should shoot for 6.0. What are your thoughts?

BBFan said:
It is a misconception that "chemical" nutes will kill the biological activity in soil. Applied correctly, taking care not to over feed and cause salts build up, and you (and the microbes) will be fine.

If the environment is good- containing some organic matter- which most soil / soil-less mixtures contain- it's all good.

ooooh, your good...i love this statement...:cool:

Did some research and you want the ph to be 5.8 when watering (weather just plain water or water with nutes). You may want to pick up calmag as well and use that with every watering. It is important not to forget to add the calmag when watering with nutes.

accid said:
Did some research and you want the ph to be 5.8 when watering (weather just plain water or water with nutes). You may want to pick up calmag as well and use that with every watering. It is important not to forget to add the calmag when watering with nutes.
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10083 <--- 5.8 is for hydro application. Soils should shoot for 6.5 ;)
Im not familiar w/ that soil, but it 'is' possible to lock out nutrients with too much calcium or magnesium. (calmag)

hero4u2b said:
Nice Hemper, My thinking ( lookout. lol ) is that after I transplant my plants at about 10 inchs tall. into 3.7 gallon pots. I have been told. that the FFOF is good without nutes for approxiamtly 4 to 5 weeks. That the organic mix of earth worm castings . bat guano.sea kelp is sufficient for that time period and they do not need anything else so if this is true I shouldnt need nutes until the last 4 weeks of flower? Dont know. still learning here. Hero

I have found this to be true Hero.

Coco coir is not soil, rather it is "soiless". It is inert and has not nutrients in itself. It is crushed up coconuts (shells). You treat coco coir as if it were hydro. You have to apply the water (with and without nutes) at about 5.8. They are relatively easy to flush as they do not hold nutes of themselves, rather they act as a holder of the nutes that it is fed. Look up Ask Ed's coco guide on google and it will tell you all about it.

That is why you should not apply 6.5 ph water to coco. hope that helps!

Latest posts

Back