Just Started Just Want Some Advice/critique

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erokusmaximus

Reaction score
i just started growing 5 white rhino seeds. i used a basic cardboard box with tin foil lining the inside. I add some neutriant rich soil, and only use room temperature filtered water. I have a 40w cfl working. i need to know what i need to do to keep this garden growing. do i need another light right now? im running 18d/6n schedule, is that effecient for now? when should i transplant? what should i be watching out for? etc. please help. this is only 2nd time and its actually working! lol

i just started growing 5 white rhino seeds. i used a basic cardboard box with tin foil lining the inside. I add some neutriant rich soil, and only use room temperature filtered water. I have a 40w cfl working. i need to know what i need to do to keep this garden growing. do i need another light right now? im running 18d/6n schedule, is that effecient for now? when should i transplant? what should i be watching out for? etc. please help. this is only 2nd time and its actually working! lol

DSC01039.jpg

DSC01040.jpg

DSC01042.jpg

DSC01043.jpg

DSC01044.jpg

Welcome to the World of growing...you have a few issues I seee that neeed some attention...First...its best if we use 1 container for 1 plant...the light needs to be more as ya see them little ones stretching for light..best advice I can give is to read read read...The resources page is a great place to start..then read the stickies..Hope to see ya around the boards and cant wait to see what becomes of your New Hobby..I wish ya the Best
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9396

take care and be safe
:48:

First of all, get rid of the foil. It is a poor reflector of light.

Second, you need to get each of those plants into separate containers.

Third, you need more light. As 4U mentioned, they are stretching quite a bit.

Fourth, read, read, read. Start at the Resource section and then read all the Stickies at the tops of each forum that pertains to the way you are growing.

When you say "nutrient rich soil", do you mean that it comes prenuted? If so, I would recommend transplanting to a soil with no nutrients. There are Stickies with good soil recipes.

I would run the light(s) 24/7. MJ will grow all the time there is light. IMO, a light schedule of 18/6 lengthens the veg time and encourages stretch.

You need an oscillating fan to move the air around now. You also need some kind of ventilation setup--you need to exhaust hot CO2 depleted air and bring in fresh air.

1) i guess i messed up and planeted 5 white rhino seeds in one cup, is there anyway to transplant without killing it?and when? or can i just transplant them into one pot and just up the lights? 2) i have heard if u get a male just toss them, is this true? what can i do with them?

another helpfull tip ...

try and keep all your questions to one post...this way you can easly find it and lees cluder of the forrum...Your on your way and Are in the right place for help..sometimes it may take a little bit for someone to answer but be patient ..much help is here

erokusmaximus said:
1) i guess i messed up and planeted 5 white rhino seeds in one cup, is there anyway to transplant without killing it?and when? or can i just transplant them into one pot and just up the lights? 2) i have heard if u get a male just toss them, is this true? what can i do with them?

The longer you leave them in the same cup the harder it will be to break them up into their own as the roots will all tangle up together. The more plants you have the more roots you have and depending on the size of your pot it will become pot bound very quickly (no more space for roots to grow) which would mean it would stop growing. Not to mention space issues when they are bigger with them being so close together it would cause issues. So i would very gently take it out of the cup and softly seperate the roots from the soil doing your best not to break any of them then put them into their own cups.

Males do not make any buds/thc they only grow ball sacks full of pollen which will pollinate your female plants which would then make the female plant make seeds instead of weed if that is what you want then fair enough however if you want to grow weed then you need to remove the males as soon as you find out you have one.

Get a container of water and set the cup with all the seeds in it the water depth has to be deeper than the soil in the cup. Set the cup in it and let the water loosen the soil and wash it way from the seedling. Then put the seedlingss in their new home.

At this stage in your growing experence I would just toss the males they are for breeding and nothing else. Chop them up and put them in the compost pile.

Ok i understand I that the seedlings were stretching to get light so today i created a triangular light system with 3 40w CFLs. I need to know the BEST way to seperate and transplant these individualy so that i reduce the chance of losing any. Also, they look pretty green and healthy, is that a true statement? or is it the opposite?

ozzydiodude said:
Get a container of water and set the cup with all the seeds in it the water depth has to be deeper than the soil in the cup. Set the cup in it and let the water loosen the soil and wash it way from the seedling. Then put the seedlingss in their new home.

At this stage in your growing experence I would just toss the males they are for breeding and nothing else. Chop them up and put them in the compost pile.

Seperate them the way Ozzy said too above.

they look ok, when you repot them bury all that stock and leave the leaves about 1/2 inch above soil level and get the light as close as possible without burning them.

it depends if they are tangled badly or not, its just away to get them out of their current home with little stress, the dirt will wash away gently and you can repot, good luck with that you need to be very careful.

I would do it ASAP 12 hours at that stage can mean a lot of root growth.

ozzy had a great idea but I worry about pulling them out. As someone who always puts 2 or three in a pot, i will show you how i do it
have the pots ready with soaked and drained and fluffed soil.
squeeze the pot sides and Lay the pot on it's side and carefully let one of the seedlings land on your hand and put it right in the prepared pot. Like everyone said above, bury that stem deep. Hope this helps a little.

DSCF0999.JPG

DSCF1001.JPG

DSCF1002.JPG

DSCF1003.JPG

DSCF1004.JPG
[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• DSCF1005.JPG
    DSCF1005.JPG
    353 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCF1006.JPG
    DSCF1006.JPG
    283.7 KB · Views: 45
Rosebud is double posting:p but has a great way to do this..as for setback..IMO..only set ya back a few days but the plants will love you for it

take care and be safe

Before you transplant...what (exactly) are you using for soil? Your soil mixture is very important.

Do you have some kind of ventilation set up?

ok at the moment, i have repotted, i now have 2 in a nice clay pot (the tallest ones, i had buried half the stalk in the new soil, the soil is a mixture i recieved from a friend, it was homemade for growing tomatoes and he also uses it for his own stash. so now i have 2 growing with 3 10w CFL and the other 4 are in seperate cups but on the window sill at the moment untill i get a better box. after switching the pot and adding lights the plants look greener and as starting its third set of top leaves, (sorry dont know the exact word) and i do have a box fan set to super low in front of the grow box, its the best i can do for now, but i upped light, repotted and added ventilation. anything to change or stop? also running the lights 24/7

You will need an exhaust fan and you are going to need way, way, way more light.

Can you find out what is in the soil?

ok, like i said im VERY NEW to this, the first time i grew, i grew one plant not thinking it wasnt gonna be smokable LOL it was a male and was worthless so now im finally trying to get my stuff together. Im working with a SMALL Place, like the size of a small closet for just coats, maybe 4x3x8. what would be the best light for just growing 4-6 plants in this tiny room? everyone just says READ READ READ but ive read tons of different things and everyone has different methods, I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT WORKS! thats why im on this forum in the firstplace! :) and as far as a know the soil has the 20-20-20 in it. like i said im new to growing anything at all...

They all work just some work better for some than other ways do.

In that area you have 12 square ft for Vegging you need 3000 lumens per ft2, so you need a light with a lumination out put of 36000 Thats a 400watt MH. For Flowering you need 5000 lumens per ft2 that is 60000 lumen a 600watt HPS would be best

Latest posts

Back