Just to talk... poor vs rich

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pistil

Member since 1999
Reaction score
I always thought that from a person born rich and a person born poor there's a marked difference in mental maturity, because if you are born rich you lack too many important lessons that deserve to be learned.

Do you think the same or i am generalizing too much?

Edit:
Wow, just realized that this is my 200th post:eek:
200thPost.jpg
And was all bulshits and help requests:rofl:

Thanks all for making me feel at home!:eek:
:48:

Yur too funny pilgrem lol ;)

I was borns poor but in the end made me rich

BWD

So you have the right baggage of experience;)
Thanks bro!
:respect2you:

Edit:
Ooops, 201 already… no more congrats for me:(
:rofl:

Pls forgive me if i'll don't answer soon, i was online but i'm going to run 45minutes… Time4Plan-B rulez:hubba:

a little to general for me. it all has to do with the parents. a friend of mine was born very wealthy, but i feel like his father instilled the right values so that he would grow up proper. one of the things his dad did when he became a teenager was. he would buy him things he wanted, a car, a boat, 4 wheeler, u know whatever he wanted. BUT, he would NEVER just give him money. he told him that if he wanted spending money that he would have to earn it himself. so my friend worked on weekends and all summer when school was out. this, to me seemed like a smart thing to do. it allowed my friend to learn the value of a dollar, and help him become the man he is today

people who just give their kids everything and never make them work for anything are just crippling their children for life.

i was born poor and still live payday to payday, i do agree with you of the fact that some who are born with money might not learn things like what it fells like to always want or need something and not be able to have it . however i do have to say that not being able to afford that favorite drink, snack,a day out to the movies has showed me to appreciate the times i have been able to enjoy them as for the things i still daydream or wonder about all i can say is someday i might be able too.:)

your right mental maturitiy does come with age and experience in life, all i can say is thanks for letting me know that i am still young. or should i say not that old . i too learn alittle everyday then i medicate and forget lol

I agree that parents makes a huge difference, and i also agree that the result of good teachings is not granted. I had the luck to occasionally work in some very poor country and i loved the generosity of those citizen, less they have and more they give, it's unbelievable. It's the opposite of here but things are quickly changing.

My country is facing a very big economic crisis, lots of persons here are still just able to talk about their next luxury car while the majority of the people have to sell their only one to buy food. One citizen out of four is looking for a job actually (it's an historical record) and very few persons have been grown with the valors that will be required in the following years to resist the crisis, i'm very worried.

Just out of curiosity, i'm the opposite of BWD :) I've born pretty rich but the things are changed for a sequence of family misfortunes. I still have a big house but it's mortgaged and i'm driving a 12yo cheap and noisy car:D But i'm luck because i still have the opportunity to work and to earn a decent salary. When i remember how empty was my mind when i was full of money (~25 years ago) i feel disgusted by myself and i don't miss those days, this is what pushed me to start this strange thread, a trip in my past… i know i smoke too much^^'

As i said i consider a real luck to have the opportunity to know some economic difficulty, nothing better to learn a bit of humility, which is the most important ingredient for a fair society.

Thanks all for your opinion!

Edit:
Oh, yes, sorry, let's say that valors is more appropriate than maturity to explain what i was trying to say;)

Dont get me wrong pilgrems when I says Im rich now its not meanin jingle in me pocket rather rich in lifes lessons and wisdom can make man rich in other ways other then gold and silver, well I do have me shinny teeth guess I could hawkem if I had need too ;)

BWD

I'll tell you what, I never thought I'd grow up to love horticulture this much. Even if I never make a single dime growing this beautiful plant. I will be forever rich with accomplishment & happiness

BackWoodsDrifter said:
Dont get me wrong pilgrems when I says Im rich now its not meanin jingle in me pocket rather rich in lifes lessons and wisdom can make man rich in other ways other then gold and silver, well I do have me shinny teeth guess I could hawkem if I had need too ;)

BWD
I was suspecting but i was not sure:eek: I agree 100% on your sense of richness!:)

ShOrTbUs said:
I'll tell you what, I never thought I'd grow up to love horticulture this much. Even if I never make a single dime growing this beautiful plant. I will be forever rich with accomplishment & happiness
Again, absolutely!:farm:

I have seen good PPL come from shity and poor back grounds,, and have seen shity PPL come from rich back grounds,,but I have seen that in reverse just as many times. That is what makes Mother Nature so wounderfull. Ya just never know what yer gonna get.

I actually wonder what you mean (exactly) by mental maturity?

The Hemp Goddess said:
I actually wonder what you mean (exactly) by mental maturity?
Not a simple question to be answered by a non english speaker, i can just make an attempt and i hope it will have sense.

For me maturity is acting (not appearing) in a manner which is compatible with at least the age that a person has, it's really something that you cannot judge by the appearances. Let me do a very banal example of this, Einstein is appearing a childish crazy man in that famous shot with his shirt untucked and his tongue out, moreover a smartly dressed politician appears very adult, serious and credible when he talk in public but maybe he's still stealing the candies. That's why i felt the need to add the adjective mental, because i believe it's something hidden and pretty difficult to measure, probably impossible without at least seeing the person in the eyes and knowing him a bit closely. No problem if you want to do something childish, as Einstein did for fun, the problem comes if your behavior is not simulated and it reflects a mental age lower than the real.

Applying this maturity concept to this "rich vs poor" trivial thing i was pointing out that i've observed that, many times, a person that had a too simple life do not develop valors and attitudes that well fit his physical age. When i wrote this i was thinking to many persons that i know in my real life and even to myself when i was a little snob. I know that i'm generalizing a lot and i'm aware that there are thousand of exceptions, but i still believe that, if doing an average would be possible, we would find more mature persons in the group of the poors.

I apologize in advance if i've been a bit too vague, this is the best i'm able to say in this early saturday morning^^'

This is the dictionary definition of maturity which i think adhere to what i always thought about this concept:
Maturity is a psychological term used to indicate how a person responds to the circumstances or environment in an appropriate manner. This response is generally learned rather than instinctive, and is not determined by one's age. Maturity also encompasses being aware of the correct time and place to behave and knowing when to act appropriately, according to the circumstances and the culture of the society one lives in.

Done got to deep for me. I bet ya been smoken some good shet Bro?:D

Pistil, your english is great. I am impressed.

Can you define poor? We always had wonderful home grown beef and food from the garden that was canned fresh...We had classical music played live daily. I had an awesome bug collection...and I never felt like a poor person as I knew poor people and we weren't that. But, we had to be low income, but so was everyone else when i was growing up. I think a lot goes into whether a person is mature, like family dynamic's etc.

Fun thread Pistil.

"Maturity is a psychological term used to indicate how a person responds to the circumstances or environment in an appropriate manner. This response is generally learned rather than instinctive, and is not determined by one's age. Maturity also encompasses being aware of the correct time and place to behave and knowing when to act appropriately, according to the circumstances and the culture of the society one lives in."

I believe that I would define that as conformity, not necessarily maturity. The key phrase here is "...according to the circumstances and the culture of the society one lives in." Not all societies function in mature and responsible fashion. If all went along blindly within social confines, we would never see any kind of social change. Of course what comes to mind immediately are the Nazis who exterminated millions of people. And the American south who bought and sold human beings and often treated them worse than animals. Actually, I could go on for a long time about society norms that are simply immoral and wrong. Maturity to me would be to realize the morally* correct path and follow it, regardless of society norms.

* On morals--Most religions throughout the world have basically the same (supposed) tenets, some just don't seem to be as good as practicing what they preach as others. However, although they may be written slightly differently or with a different or no diety, most believe: Do not kill, do not steal, do not lie, treat others well, do no harm.

About rich and poor and mental maturity. I don't really think that maturity or at least that definition of it conveys what you are trying to say. By that definition, most of the rich, lazy, indifferent, snobby rich would be mature. They go along with society norms (their norms?) and expect all others to do so too. To me, mental maturity or maturity in general is, in a nutshell, being able let your head overrule your emotions...the ability to look at something critically, weigh the options, and make the best decision given the circumstances. We are not always right, but part of learning to become mature is learning from our mistakes and not making them again.

So some people who grow up with a feeling of entitlement do not learn these lessons. They are never faced with dealing with things that others deal with on a daily basis--hunger, cold, homelessness, etc. Always having to struggle for survival is also detrimental to a person. It can make one afraid, angry, violent, hopeless, or full of despair. Of course, these are the extremes on each side. I believe that people are strengthened by challenge. However, I do not believe that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, either. I kind of think the rich/poor is a moot point unless you are talking of the extremes. We find mature people everywhere from every walk of life. We find immature people everywhere from every walk of life.

I really believe most people could benefit from a small stint in the Military. I know of quite a few people including my brother who would of probably wound up dead or in jail if they had not joined the service and had a sense of responsibility instilled in them. I know it helped me greatly going into the Air Force at the age of 17 right out of High School. At the time I didn't get why little mundane things carried such importance in Boot Camp. Looking back I see now what I could not see then. Jmo

Latest posts

Back