Just wanting to know the formula to see how much my 1k watt will cost.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EsC420PoT

Hydro Indoor Grower
Reaction score
I know how much I'm charged per kilowatt hour, just need to know the formula to find out how much it'll cost to run my 1k watt 12/12 for flowering around 2 months. Thanks

1,000 watts ran for 1 hour... is 1 Kilowwatt per hour

hehee

Edit:
*if electricity costs .25 cents per kilowatt per hour(kW/h)... and you run 1,000 watts for 12 hours; then you will be charged (.25 x 12) = 3$ per day.

Dont reckon I know friend but ifin yual got a job makin the min? Yual can afford it ifin yual cut back on the frog legs. Be what I did and glad fur it. Much luck yur trail friend, keep a warm fire and yual do well.
BWD

OGKushman said:
1,000 watts ran for 1 hour... is 1 Kilowwatt per hour

hehee

Edit:
*if electricity costs .25 cents per kilowatt per hour(kW/h)... and you run 1,000 watts for 12 hours; then you will be charged (.25 x 12) = 2.50$ per day.

LOL, OG--I wish my electric company did math that way....(.25 x 12) = 3.00 per day.

EsC--You will also want to take into account any pumps, fans, heaters, etc that you may have running. You can help offset cost of running lights by being frugal with your other electricity uses--use CFLs for all household lighting, take shorter showers, turn electronics OFF, turn the thermostat down in winter and up in summer. etc.

I know where I live its 6.75 KWH. I'm running (2) 400w (2) 432w (1) 96w (1) 30w fan (1) 10-15w box fan (1) 108w for the male

Not sure how much it all adds up too, With the plasma and other things on it runs roughly 150 a mnth.

You can buy some really cheap plug in meters as well. I got a couple to monitor my whole grow. Just put in your prices and it works it out for you. Keeps you from getting a big surprise.

power company in my area uses a 5 tiered billing system---the more power you use the higher the rate they charge

Same here orange, I rarely go over and always use the second tier when working it out just to be safe.

wish i could say the same---has anyone come up with more energy efficient ballasts with the "energy star" sticker like on all other appliances---i got some old ballasts that could use replacing---

.04 cents a killowatt here. Flat rate. Luv me federal zoning rights :)

Five-Tier Price Structure Sample*
Tier Tier 1 Tier 2 Tier 3 Tier 4 Tier 5
Cents per kWh 13¢ 15¢ 23¢ 26¢ 30¢

I hope you meant to put a .0 before those numbers otherwise thats allot.
Mine is .016, .017, .02, .023 4 Tier plan.

that is directly from the sothern ca edison co web site and yes---it is a lot

So you can pay up to 0.30c per KW? thats mad hehe.

Jericho said:
So you can pay up to 0.30c per KW? thats mad hehe.
ya where i live it's .34 Cents per KWH..... So for me to run my 1k watt it'd cost me $114.24.... A month... So all in all, my power bill will probably be around 200 bucks with everything else... I'm gonna cry :(

my 600w cost me 60 euro a month to run 24/7, thats 78 usd. If i keep under my tier.

What i did though was stop using anything else electrical. No electric kettle, heater, etc. Changed all my lights to low w cfls. water heater only goes on once a day. You easily lower the other consumption as THG said

Jericho said:
my 600w cost me 60 euro a month to run 24/7, thats 78 usd. If i keep under my tier.

What i did though was stop using anything else electrical. No electric kettle, heater, etc. Changed all my lights to low w cfls. water heater only goes on once a day. You easily lower the other consumption as THG said

That just doesn't sound right to me
How would you rack up 78 USD in a month for just a 600w light at $0.023 per kw/h? By my calculation it would be a 10th of that?

I pay $0.065 per kw/h in the first tier and in the second it's $0.095 per kw/h

Even at that price running a 1000w light 24/7 for a month shouldn't be 78 USD

well the delema with that, is it's not run from my property, it's ran from my partners property, and his family lives there... So I could do that no problem, but since it's not my house, I can't expect them to do so.... I'm simply trying to find out for his benefit, since he pays the pg&e, and I pay everything else. But thanks for the heads up on that, i'll throw that info his way, but since hes got his sister and fiance, as well as his mother and grandmother living with him, I doubt that will happen... Lol.

PartyBro420 said:
That just doesn't sound right to me
How would you rack up 78 USD in a month for just a 600w light at $0.023 per kw/h? By my calculation it would be a 10th of that?

I pay $0.065 per kw/h in the first tier and in the second it's $0.095 per kw/h

Even at that price running a 1000w light 24/7 for a month shouldn't be 78 USD

Yeh i know. I rechecked my rates off the site. 5 tier plan works like so.

1 0 - 2,000 0.161
2 2,001 - 6,000 0.173
3 6,001 - 10,000 0.189
4 10,001 - 20,000 0.360
5 20,001 & over 0.620

So working it out on tier 1, .6 x 24 x .161 x 30day month = 69.55 so actually 91.15 USD P/m.

I really need to invest in solar energy considering i live on a Mediterranean island. We do actually have some of the highest prices in Europe here thats why i was surprised that op was paying more. Normally its .0** else where.

EsC420PoT said:
well the delema with that, is it's not run from my property, it's ran from my partners property, and his family lives there... So I could do that no problem, but since it's not my house, I can't expect them to do so.... I'm simply trying to find out for his benefit, since he pays the pg&e, and I pay everything else. But thanks for the heads up on that, i'll throw that info his way, but since hes got his sister and fiance, as well as his mother and grandmother living with him, I doubt that will happen... Lol.

hope your partner is prepared to be bumped into the 2nd and possibly 3rd tier---might consider another break down cause he will be pissed when it comes time to pay that bill---

cost = watts x hours of operation divide by 1000---(this is the kwh) multiply the kwh by the pge rate and it will give you the cost to run the light---

Latest posts

Back