Justttttttt beggining to grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northern1337s

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Thanks for the all the info form this site; its helped me alot. I just started to grow seeds from my friend who says there northern lights or close to it. I germinated some of my seeds about a week ago and now I have 2 plants about 2 inches high with 2 starter leaves and 2 more beggining to come in. I'm growing in a mix of seed starter soil and indoor plant soil with about 1/10 perlite and vermiculite. My plants are under a flouresent tube light and being watered with pure water or sometimes a very light spray of nutrient water (1/8 20 20 20) strength. One of my plants has a slight yellowing of leaves on the tips but the other one is fine. I had to transplant them once already because they were in tiny pots. Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.

Alright a little info/tip the yellowing is being
caused by the nutes no nutes till they get bigger
personaly I dont use Nutes or Ferts unless I HAVE
to transplant them.You do not want to transplant
them more then once or twice ONLY if necessary!
Thats why I start them automaticaly outside and
let them grow and thats their permanent home !!
unless I have to move them for safty purposes...
....etc. And try not to transplant them to much!!
or they will be in shock!! From transplant and will
grow as fast as if they wear left alone!! And how
big is the pot it should be their permanent pot!...
...Thats what the first transplant usually is!! Well
Hoped I Helped You Out!!!! Peace out and HAPPY
GROWING

Kindbud

thanks alot i wont use any more nutes and ill try to keep you posted for more info if I need any help

thanks alot

ok my plantys are doing ok one has four leaves now both nearly on top of each other but still ok and the other has its new pair coming in. I'm germinating some more in the meantime to make sure i have plenty of females.

If you're gonna be ferting this early, you really, really need to know what you're doing. Firstly, a baby plant fert should be 1-2-1. Do not use a regular plant fert for young plants. This means, do not use a 20-20-20 mix on babies. Even with reducing it down to '1/8' strength, it will still be too stong. Kickstart by Grotek is a great young plant fert, I use it on all my plants with great success. Check out my grow journal for further info on my ferting method

PS Keep in mind that from one female you can get a whole crop of females if you take cuttings/clones. The last thing you wanna do is is start a bunch of seeds and then run of out space! Trust me, I know! ;)

hey guys my plants have begun to get bigger but I have a question. The new leaves coming in on my plants dont look like regular Mj leaves. Do leaves look wierd at the beggining or do i have a problem Also I have a little bit of shriveling/curling action in the new leaves. I think I may have over watered but im not sure. I am pretty bad at this.... If you need pics I'll try and get them sometime soon. Any suggestions are helpful...

First of all North, you are not bad at this. You are new at this. Big difference. ;)

To check when to water your plants, I poke my finger down into the soil maybe an inch or two. Only, and only when this feels dry, should you water. If anything, mj prefers to have a little less water than a little more water. Just keep this in mind and I think you should be ok if it is over watering that is the problem. This is my best guess without being able to see pics of the plants anyway..is it possible for you to post some pics? That would enable us to help you much more.

Anyways, when you are just learning how to grow the most important thing is not to get down on yourself about your mistakes, but to learn from your mistakes. That really is the only way you'll learn to grow, and thats why it generally takes years of growing to get 'good' at it. I use good in quotation marks because I don't look at one grower being better than another, I simply look at experience. Instead of seeing an amazing grower I see an exceptionally experienced grower, instead of seeing a bad grower I see an in experienced one. Experience is the best teacher, but the trick is to learn the lesson before the test is over, that's what takes awhile to figure out ;)

Insane said:
If you're gonna be ferting this early, you really, really need to know what you're doing. Firstly, a baby plant fert should be 1-2-1. Do not use a regular plant fert for young plants. This means, do not use a 20-20-20 mix on babies. Even with reducing it down to '1/8' strength, it will still be too stong.

The way that I understand nutrients is that 20-20-20 can also be read at 1-1-1, this is what you want to be feeding during the veg stage as it is high in N, which is needed to develop foliage.
A, 1-2-1 would be more ideal for flowering as it is high in P, this could also be read at 10-20-10.

Now if your plants are too young to fed is a totally different issue.

Here is a link explaining how to read nutrients:
http://gardening.about.com/od/gardenprimer/ht/fertilizerlabel.htm

Thanks alot you guys. I'll keep you posted if I need help and I'll try to get some pics too.

massproducer said:
The way that I understand nutrients is that 20-20-20 can also be read at 1-1-1, this is what you want to be feeding during the veg stage as it is high in N, which is needed to develop foliage.
A, 1-2-1 would be more ideal for flowering as it is high in P, this could also be read at 10-20-10.

Now if your plants are too young to fed is a totally different issue.

Here is a link explaining how to read nutrients:
http://gardening.about.com/od/gardenprimer/ht/fertilizerlabel.htm

You make a very interesting point mass. However, I was only using 1-2-1 as an example because the young plant fert I used (Kickstart by Grotek) is a 1-2-1 and it says on the bottle it's specifcally meant for seedlings/young plants/cuttings. However the way you explain it makes a lot of sense as well, so now that you've got me all confused you're gonna have to make sense of this for me lol ;) any thoughts?

ok my girls ( i hope they are females) are about 10 inches to a foot high. they are like 5 weeks old but should I wait longer to begin the 12 12 light schedule?

If your plants have alternating growth nodes then they are ready to be put into 12/12.

I would personally wait for them to get a little bigger and definitley wait for alternating nodess. I "accidentally" flowered a plant that was only a foot tall and while the buds shes packing on are nice and tight and sticky....I can only guess at how awesome she might have been. (can't wait to smoke her "one" bud) I'm new at this as well and the one thing I'm learning the most, is patience. Grow on!

thanks I think I'll wait like a week or so till I put them in 12 12 how mcuh more will they grow under 12 12 before they are ready to harvest?

Mj plants are ready to harvest usually between 9-12 weeks of flowering. How much they grow during flowering will depend on the strain, some strains can double, triple, or even quadruple in size during flowering.

Ok, I need to chime in here a bit.

The ratios of a 20-20-20 and 1-1-1 mix will be the same, but the strength will be different. The numbers refer to the percent strength within the solution, which makes the second one significantly weaker (which is why it is for seedlings).

Usually people overnute, but for reference:

If the plant is undernuted (usually N) it will show it in the lower leaves first. These leaves are diffusely yellow.

Overnuting will also shows up in your 'resevoir' leaves.

The diff is with overnuting, eventually the tips and mid part of the leaf will look kinda crumbly/rusty from accumulated salts. The initial yellowing can resemble the 'interval chlorosis' people talk about with Mg+ deficiency (confusion of overnuting with Mg deficiency is a very common error).

Overnuting is a hazard to a lot of people. We cram the nutes down the plant like Foie Gras.

Marijuana mistakenly gets labeled a 'fruiting' plant when it is flowering one. The nute strength needs are generally different across these two classes.

One great thing is to keep track of your nuting strength with a truncheon, then you start learning what is the 'sweet spot' for you and your water supply (if you want me to elaborate I will).

The best early advice I got was to take it easy and do not jump to conclusions. Take it slow and make a well reasoned change. Do not make multiple changes at once. Find someone you trust and rely on them b/c you can get tons of conflicting advice on forums.

RE: Flowering Nutes: The shift of nutes should be from nitrogen to potassium and esp. phosphorous. Why I don't get is that a lot inexplicably make the switch the nanosecond they go to 12/12.

Personally I think the timing of when you go to veg is less significant (as long as about 30dy) than how you transition the nutes.

I hold off on flowering mixes until I have sexed the plants. That's on avg 11-14 days into flower!

The end is the plant has it's stores of N for the 'big push' into bud production. I call it the foundation you lay to build the big azz house! :D

Latest posts

Back