Kali Mist II -- grow dy 23 and 30

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! I am really venturing into unknown territory but here goes!

So I finished the chamber. Here are my pics.

I used Parking Lot Joe's recommendations for clone as the guy I lean on for advice is out of town. The one thing I wasn't sure was exactly where on the stem to cut so I did about 6 cuttings at different places. Some of the leaves I left are probably too big?

All I have space for are about 2 so if I got some wrong so be it.

I am running this on 12/12 at present. If so, I am worried about light leak. I may move this to my darkest room. I built a 'louvre' over the exhaust and will do so for the fan but still...

chamberdoneclose.jpg

chamberdonetopoff.jpg

chamberdonetopon.jpg

Whats up Zarnon. Why are you only running your lights for 12/12 on your clones? Most clones i have seen are under 24/7 light. Just curious.

Yep, I am a total novice at cloning! I have grown one successful clone and I don't remember what cycle I had her on.

So, I will switch to 24/7. My 'teacher' is supposed to be back in town and I'll check in but until then maybe you can help me out with a few q's.

(1) How long should I keep the top off to let the clones breathe?

(2) I was thinking of getting one of those really small fans, the type people can clip on to a hat and put in there... does it matter they are getting no air circulation when that top is on?

(3) My total lumens are about 4000, is that enough for clones? I could easily get over 5000 by just changing out one bulb.

Thanks! I have some grow books I'm going to dig into but I like getting advice from people I've seen grow. This was sort of spur of the moment as I'd given up on doing clones. This time they seem a LOT healthier and none are drying out.

You only need to remove the lid and give them some air exchange a couple times a day....this allows for all the high oxygen content air to escape and bring in new air to be processed by the plant

NO FAN...nothing of heavy movement until your babies are fully rooted

You have plenty of light....the hubby and i use two 4 ft floros...one plant and aquarium and one cool white...40 watts each

hope this helps you out :)

Yes, thank you for helping me get my head on straight (stoned, yet straight!).

I also finally had a chance to touch base with my 'guru'. He's an excellent grower, cloner and breeder and here's what he advised me to do (remember his or my way is not the only way).

Advised me to have about 1/4 inch of water at the base. Until they are rooting the plants will wick up water (his 'cut flower' method). I have O2 provided by just a tinch of H202 in the water.

Don't time to cover off so much as get air exchange (ala LL advice). The main thing is not to let them wilt. Recovery takes a lot of power that could be expended elsewhere. He wasn't stressed at all I was running that high a humidity. This is counter to a lot of what I've read here, but I'm going with his deal just cuz he has led me down the right path so many times.

Run them 24 then once they root go to 18/6. Again, I know some have written how the 'genetics' have adapted to a 24 and running to 18 will mess them up. Personally I feel that plants are very adaptive to what you give them and show it quickly. I also believe in what some have said regarding the need for darkness.

This is really the first time my clones have survived more than 2 days (now I'm seeing things were waaaaaaaay too dry).

Z out.

15 days into flower;

Clones still alive!

Two of the fem are staying more or less bushy, while the third, well, is going nuts. Curr. at 4 feet (not counting the bucket) even when trained horizontally. I went through this before with KM. I was totally scared I was going to run out of room.. please stop!!

Room is running around 78f with humidity at 40's. Had to turn on the A/C in that room b/c the exhaust was running a lot with some increased outside temps.

About 60+ top sites are budding. I thought I caught a whiff of that sweet light vanilla 'new flower' smell... but must've been my imagination....

5-7 no hal.jpg

5-7 no hal2.jpg

(remember his or my way is not the only way).
..very true, so NOT dissing your friends advice..but
Advised me to have about 1/4 inch of water at the base. Until they are rooting the plants will wick up water (his 'cut flower' method). I have O2 provided by just a tinch of H202 in the water.
.."IMHO", this could delay rooting, possibly even drown your cuts. It's been my experience, that cuts that have allowed some drying of the medium to take place, "seemed" to root quicker. I've never ran a 'controlled experiment', to verify that. It is just an observation that seemed to hold true. A cutting will root in a glass of water, but it usually takes weeks, in comparison to 10-14 days average, in 'my' soil based medium.
"Spot on" with the dome time. I watch/look for the first indications of wilting/drooping to lightly mist and re-dome.

thanks for the photos they were great

Rasta, thanks but I was soooo tired of that ugly ass yellow I reshot the photos (above)

Hick: Yeah, I hear ya. Some of what he tells me is at odds with 'common wisdom'. I think it's important to have some healthy skepticism. I am also a little leery for those same reasons but this guy gets great results, he's been right over and over again, and I trust him so I'm gonna play this out.

He has the 'right stuff' and brought me fruits from his other students (which are incredible) as well. He delivers advice in a non-bullshitty practical way that really inspires confidence.

His help has allowed me to grow and do some of my thing with the exterior pump and some stuff with improved taste and odor of hydro weed.

Anyways, I am in new territory myself Hick and just playing this out. I'm just following along, taking a calm approach and seeing what happens. :)

BTW, the plants do not stay this wet. I lightly mist once a day and this was taken right after.

clones 5-7.jpg

Zarnon....awesome update on the pics

Hick....i tend to agree with the theory on the drying to promote roots....when the clones are first rooting they will seek out the water....if they are too wet this inhibites growth....we awant them to expand and search for water :)

Thanks for the comments! I always appreciate discussion about growing even if there are different ways.

I am still not sure how this will play out. The stem tip is higher than that 1/4 in. of h2o, so what we're trying is not so much soaking as wicking. Once the roots arrive we will change tactics, fer sure.

I really am a newb in some areas and that's cool. I like testing hypotheses, it's how knowledge grows. :)

Grow chamber runs 78-82f and about (get ready to freak) 95% humidity. I've tried to run at less but seems like they wilt when I do. I blow in that chamber 2 times a day to increase Co2.

Aight.

So... I started the flower on April 22 . So by my calc I am at flower day 17.

Anyhoo......

Current Status:

(1) Clones still alive!!

(2) Here are some pics of my current flower. This is basically two plants, the third ('Stunty') is healthy but it is bonsai compared to these two 'sistahs'!

I tried so hard to get a good overhead shot, but with the large canopy, the large floodlight I had in there, two tripods... sheesh, it was hard to maneuver!

Running Canna bloom at 500 E.C., Cannazyme full str and good ol' Superthrive. Last res change started B'Cuzz @ half str.

5-9 flower.jpg

5-9 flower5.jpg

5-9 flower3.jpg

5-9 flower4.jpg

Looking great Zarnon. You have got THE GREEN THUMB for sure. Can't wait to see those youngsters grow up to be fat frosty ladies.
fing32.gif

...... and starting to thrive!

Now.... let's get this one thing out of the way.

I am sure at this point you are looking at the pic going, "Dude... is that a........ snail??", and I would be like, "NFW dude, you must be as baked as I am, that is a decorative rock".

Then after further investigation you would discover that yes indeed a snail had made it's way into my sealed clone chamber!!

That sucka had to have been in the perlite/vermiculite potting soil..and like Lazarus emerged from.. the DAID! :eek:

Speaking of which there is a change in the air!! I noticed it this morning when I went to mist the wee ones. Tonight it is even stronger. They are getting new energy dudes! I am going to check for roots tomorrow (day 10).

BTW, I did let the humidity drop over the days. It is about 50% right now. I have also had the hood off a few times although I do not like the drastic swings in humidity (the pencil thing works really nice!).

clones and a snail 5-11.jpg

I just went to finally pull to check for roots (and transplant).

GAH! No large rapid rooters! I gotta wait till the hydro store opens!

So I still dunno what is going on 'under there'.... BUT, I can see a small feeder root poking out of the smallest clone so I know they's doin' aight.

I will show pics of roots once I get those damn RR.

Great lookin plants Zarnon, can't wait to seem them grow up! ;)

CLONES Day 11 - Moment O' Truth!

Well, today was the day to check for root growth and transplant if ready. I was worried, as I'd committed to this somewhat unorthodox way of doing things...

But they were ready :D (...and yes, next time I'll check 'em earlier, right when I see 'em 'perk up')!

Nice thing is I went from being scared to clone to much more confident.

I am adding another 600 hps to the growspace tomorrow night. I will vent it in-line with the other. That is the only way I can grow two or three of these clones the rest I'm givin' away (*tosses one to TBG)...

The first was one of the largest two, the second one of the medium.

clone dy 11all.jpg

clone dy 11b.jpg

clone dy 11.jpg

.....second of the two 'mediums', and one of the smallest, then all back in the chamber in their new digs.

Interesting how the larger they were the more roots they put out!

clones dy 11d.jpg

clone dy 11e.jpg

clones dy 11all tucked in.jpg

....hell ya!..nice roots!...see, I old ya' that 1/4 inch o water would work..:p

Latest posts

Back