kelvin vs. lumens

S

seagull

in your opinion, whats better having the correct kelvin band or having more lumens.

This example is during a veg period:
ge 1000 watt metal halide is 100000 lumens but only 3700 kelvin
coolsun 1000 watt metal halide is 80000 lumens and 6500 kelvin (correct kelvin color, but 20% less lumens)

thanks

RaoulDuke

Who?
Reaction score
I'm no expert on it, so I might be wrong, but I think the Coolsun would be preferable. Giving you more lumens at the correct wavelengths.

S

seagull

that sounds intelligent, and the coolsun was 60 dollars more, so its priced as better quality. Plus it is a beautiful blue hue, when I entered the chamber for the first time with the new light bulb installed, well all I can say is, its amazing.

homebrew420

Reaction score
Your numbers seem a bit odd. Do you remeber the name of the 100000 lumen halide? That is off the charts as far as I know. Your are thinking of an HPS. For veg you may have chosen correct if your looking for your plants to have as little stretching ad possible. However I am currently growing 3 plants, 2 NL #5 and a Master Kush, under a 600w hps. These were placed under that lamp as soon as they showed roots. I am using a GH Rainforest 6, these plants are growing at an unbelievable rate. I keep that light as close as I can. I guess my point is, The 6500K light, though more nutritious, will almost if not always lose out to the higher light intensity.

S

seagull

general electric bulb, look for 1000watt mh hid, on their web site.

Latest posts